Is Lewis injured because

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Lewis should leave at semester.

The ncaa is handing out waivers left and right these days so he could find a mid major to land at and work all spring / summer on his appeal and honestly would have a good shot to be eligible come fall 2020 for his full senior season.

I know nothing of Lewis' academic profile or ambition, but maybe he wants to stay at ISU for that aspect. People do that sometimes.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
careful what u say u may offend someone

coach hines dont care bout offending someone!

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The fascination of scholarship players who aren't in the rotation by our fan base is mind boggling

It’s all designed to find flaws in the coach. There’s a not small vocal segment on here that is already convinced the season is over in their groupthink circle jerk.

• Agree
Reactions: Blackhawk6515

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Optimism.
It’s much more comfortable to hold out hope that someone on the bench can help improve these glaring weaknesses. Instead it’s just poor roster management and junior that hasn’t improved.

See twins. This is a perfect example.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Yeah it does seem to be somewhat of a wasted scholarship, but we need bodies. We also burned two years of scholarship for one year of Prentis Nixon.... and one a piece for Leech and Anderson. Not the greatest roster management ever.

So you think Fran does it right playing 10-11 guys, then. Correct?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
So wondering why a 4 star top 100ish player out of HS isn't playing is mind boggling to you? Not like we grow players like that on trees around here. He had a lot of hype, had some moments his freshman year with a poor team, didn't play on a really talented team, and you are now mind boggled that people are wondering why he doesn't play on a decent team? Cmon now.

I for one am not surprised, but saying it's mind boggling why some are is comical.

I will ask more questions, then. Do you think the coach of a major college program is purposefully not playing someone who could help him win games? How many practices have you watched? And would you feel better if prohm just came out and stated the reasons Terrence isn’t getting any regular run?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
There are bound to be players that don't pan out and also players that exceed their recruiting ranking. Lewis showed some things his freshman year but was also constantly looking lost on both offense and defense. Watching him last year and also this year, he has not gotten better on either side of the ball. If he truly was a great shooter, Coach Prohm would play him. You can handle a couple minutes of poor defense if he's a dead eye shooter, however that's not the case. He doesn't perform well enough on the offensive end to out weigh his deficiencies on the defensive end.

I can’t believe you don’t remember this. the previous coach did not have one single miss on the recruiting trail.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Optimism.
It’s much more comfortable to hold out hope that someone on the bench can help improve these glaring weaknesses. Instead it’s just poor roster management and junior that hasn’t improved.

How is it poor roster management? He was a highly rated recruit. Played a little bit on a bad team. And it hasn’t clicked for him since. Again how is it bad roster management?

Because what you’re saying here, k, is that we shouldn’t recruit top 125 players anymore?

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
How is it poor roster management? He was a highly rated recruit. Played a little bit on a bad team. And it hasn’t clicked for him since. Again how is it bad roster management?

Because what you’re saying here, k, is that we shouldn’t recruit top 125 players anymore?

i dont fault Prohm for Lewis, Long, or Carter. All were decently ranked kid with solid offers. Plus TJ identified Lweis and he's had some hits in the past

i do fault Prohm for Leech, Anderson, Kasongo and Ernst. I don't know how anyone could look at those kids and think they were P5 level players.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
i dont fault Prohm for Lewis, Long, or Carter. All were decently ranked kid with solid offers. Plus TJ identified Lweis and he's had some hits in the past

i do fault Prohm for Leech, Anderson, Kasongo and Ernst. I don't know how anyone could look at those kids and think they were P5 level players.

Exactly. Those guys were absolute reaches to fill out rosters. Leech made sense in the context of where he was before he got hurt, but the rest were flyers.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I find these threads comical. It's really no different than the "Why no Re-Al Mitchell Package" thread. Somehow based on a extremely limited sample size we are wasting one of our best athletes in football and our best shooter in basketball.

This issue is not complicated. Campbell and Prohm are well paid and qualified at what they do. They are around these players constantly. They are in contact with their assistants. They have infinitely more information at their disposal than we do.

So the reason these guys don't play is because what they bring to the table is not enough to justify them taking the playing time of other people. If playing time was justified they'd get it. I can't see how this is complicated.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I really don't think it's an attitude issue or a deal where Lewis is in Prohm's dog house. When players get in a coach's dog house, generally the writing is on the wall, see Cam Lard last year, BDJ toward the end of Fred's final disaster year. If it was something like that, I don't think Lewis would've come back for year 3. If it was Lewis thinking he's too good to practice or better than the guys playing over him, he would have left of his own volition or Prohm would've convinced him too.

My guess is actually the opposite; he has a GOOD attitude. He is a GOOD teammate.

Maybe he doesn't have a competitive edge to him, maybe he has all the skill but lacks the confidence or aggression. Maybe he loves the team and the school and just wants to help in whatever way he can, whether that is by encouraging those who are earning PT or by challenging them to get better in practice every day. Maybe he realizes that his mentality is as more of a coach than as a player, and he's more of an asset to the team in that regard than by his play on the court.

One thing I do know and have realized is the lack of physical development. Remember when he came in a lot of folks on here thought maybe he could fill a Hogue/Ejim type roll down the road for us. He has the height, 6'5'', 6'6'', and seems to have a frame to add some muscle. My eye test tells me that he is still pretty skinny even after 2+ years at a P6 school with P6 weight/nutrition facilities. Maybe that ties back in to the work ethic theory. At the end of the day, who really knows? I would like to have the answers, but I doubt we ever get them.

• Winner
Reactions: STLISU

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There was a point early last season it felt like he was turning a corner. He played well in Maui from what I remember, and had a few good games after that. It felt like maybe things were start to click. But then he kind of fell off into spot minutes during the conference season and hasn't been able to show much so far this year. Good on him for sticking it out, though.

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
The Mike Warren of basketball.

difference is Warren used 1/85th of the allotted scholarships and had shown flashes of being a really good big 12 player (albeit on a bad team)

Lewis uses 1/13th and has never shown he can be anything more than a role player on a bad team

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Just read another cool Lazard article - this one on The Athletic. Below is a quote from Rodgers about Lazard. I have no idea how TL ticks and have wished he'd get in games sooner this year, reflecting my hope that he'd progressed. In what we've seen, he has a nice shot but seems lost on both O & D. Based on his lack of playing time, it seems obvious that the coaches don't feel he's progressed. I'd guess the below quote from ARodg describes the situation - it does for most cases. Not to suggest that TL doesn't work hard. That may be part of it, don't know. Ultimately, for whatever reason, he's not making hay of the opportunities he gets (that's practices and games). I actually worry a bit that this will happen to Zion too. I don't question his effort, but he needs to develop a better feel for team O & D. I hope it happens and that he starts to take advantage of some of the opportunities he gets.

From The Athletic article about Lazard:
'Added Rodgers: “It starts with his habits. I mean, he has really good habits. I talk about it in the offseason a lot: The way that you approach your job is very important to your opportunities. I think it’s a direct correlation between your preparation and the opportunities you get because if you know what you’re doing, you’re already ahead of the game. If you can go out and gain confidence executing that responsibility, you get the trust of the coaching staff and myself and you find the ball coming your way a little bit more often.'

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I can’t believe you don’t remember this. the previous coach did not have one single miss on the recruiting trail.
It happens all the time in recruiting. Some guys are probably rated too highly, while some guys are rated too lowly. Some guys never excel their game while others improve drastically. That's why recruiting is very hard, especially at schools like Iowa State. It's hit or miss. We have a guy on our team currently that was a 3-star and is now getting talked about as one of the most dynamic players in the nation and a projected lottery pick, but I'm sure the upset fans aren't bringing that into consideration when discussing Prohm's recruiting tactics. That or the fact that we have the best recruiting class in Iowa State history coming next year.