*** Official Kansas City VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Biggest takeaway from this game was the difference between Bolton was on and when he disappeared. He's the best weapon after Tyrese, how consistent he plays will be a big part of how this season plays out. He's a bit streaky right now but when he's on and aggressive, he's really good.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well that game was pretty uninspiring, other than the last 4 minutes. We look so good on transition offense, and can't play half court offense very effectively (tonite anyway) hope that improves.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Would our defense and rebounding dramatically decrease? Teams are exploiting having two bigs on defense, which leads to some of our rebounding issues.

We could start Jackson, bringing in the second big or Grill as needed. Jacobson does better as a small 5 anyways, but Conditt’s shot blocking and transition offense are probably needed
I think that is way too small of a lineup. I would like to see Jackson start over Nixon though. I think he has proven he may even be the better on ball defender, and at least his shooting has been pretty good.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
site_logo.png
vs
site.png

IOWA STATE (4-3, 0-0 BIG 12)
VS. KANSAS CITY (5-4, 0-0 WAC)
WEDNESDAY, DEC. 4 | 7 P.M. CST
AMES, IOWA | HILTON COLISEUM (14,384)

Radio: Cyclone Radio Network
Talent: John Walters (pxp); Eric Heft (analyst)
TV: Cyclones.tv
Talent: John Walters (pxp); Eric Heft (analyst)
Went to the game. My observations:

1) UMKC is a decent team, no Mississippi Valley State
2) Jacobson played great
3) Conditt continues to grow, played pretty well
4) I REALLY like Tre Jackson. I thought he played great. Going to be real good.
5) I love Halliburton. Personality, athleticism and skill. BUT, I think maybe this is going to his head. CSP needs to have a talk to him, and maybe did the second half. He needs to cool it on “calling long distance” and always trying to make a spectacular pass. Sometimes simple is best.
6) Zion Griffin is lost on defense.
7) Bolton remains good taking it to the hole. Still not shooting well.
8) we will not win many B12 games shooting around 20% from 3, especially if we shoot a bunch.
9) this team will be defined by Nixon and Bolton. Everybody else is a fairly known commodity, and reasonably consistent.
10) I still think we are likely looking at a second division finish in the b12. I have not studied the league much, but suspect KU is in a league of their own this year.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think it's fine to be critical, but kids are probably busy with getting ready for finals and getting stuff done at school. Wednesday nights were always bad for me because I had a lab that ran late........
Finals? They literally just got back from Thanksgiving break. I am guessing they procrastinated things they should have got done over the weekend.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Talk to the refs about that

Yeah it’s like the context of a really important factor of two quick fouls was completely ignored to criticize the coach.

I will absolutely guarantee you when prohm leaves him in against somebody good, and he gets that 3rd foul, the same poster will say the exact opposite.

Of course, if we start winning, most of them won’t be here anyway.

• Winner
Reactions: heitclone

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Also, look at the body of work for every team that just got back from the Bahamas. Michigan struggled to shoot the ball against Louisville, North Carolina got blown out against Ohio State, Gonzaga played a horrible Texas So. team, Seton Hall didn't play all week leading into Iowa State, Oregon doesn't play until Saturday, and Alabama plays tomorrow.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think that is way too small of a lineup. I would like to see Jackson start over Nixon though. I think he has proven he may even be the better on ball defender, and at least his shooting has been pretty good.
What’s the net impact though?
Conventionally we think defense and rebounding would go down, but opponents are exploiting our defense having two bigs with ball screens. Even with two bigs, our rebounding has been poor. We could be trading one problem for another (post ups on a guard), but with benefits on offense.

It’s clear all of our lineups have holes. Many will need to be used imo, but lacking size may soon be a preferred deficiency imo. We’re so much better when playing very fast imo. 4 guards plus Conditt should be our most hectic lineup

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
What’s the net impact though?
Conventionally we think defense and rebounding would go down, but opponents are exploiting our defense having two bigs with ball screens. Even with two bigs, our rebounding has been poor. We could be trading one problem for another (post ups on a guard), but with benefits on offense.

It’s clear all of our lineups have holes. Many will need to be used imo, but lacking size may soon be our preferred deficiency imo.
I don't disagree with playing 4 guards going small. However Nixon, Jackson, and Bolton are all undersized guards. Even 3's in big 12 play are going to take advantage of having all three of those guys on the court at the same time.

I would rather see something like Hali, Bolton, Jackson, and Grill

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't disagree with playing 4 guards going small. However Nixon, Jackson, and Bolton are all undersized guards. Even 3's in big 12 play are going to take advantage of having all three of those guys on the court at the same time.

I would rather see something like Hali, Bolton, Jackson, and Grill
Undersized, but guards. The net impact won’t be greatly changed by 6’1” vs 6’3”, and it’s still a matter of gaining more than what we give up.
Those bigger wings will often torch the second big even more than they are a guard.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I just don't know if I like the way the pieces go together this year. We have bigs, but they're all either slow or tweeners. We have guards, but aside from Tyrese, they're all really small and mostly can't shoot. Smaller guards generally struggle more with defense as well, and throw in the fact that they're all fairly inexperienced it is very difficult to get too optimistic about this team. I think even being in the bubble conversation come March would make me feel pretty good about this team.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis and Doc

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I just don't know if I like the way the pieces go together this year. We have bigs, but they're all either slow or tweeners. We have guards, but aside from Tyrese, they're all really small and mostly can't shoot. Smaller guards generally struggle more with defense as well, and throw in the fact that they're all fairly inexperienced it is very difficult to get too optimistic about this team. I think even being in the bubble conversation come March would make me feel pretty good about this team.

its not like that's a surprise. there's a reason we signed a big time talented big man, 2 6'6" ballers, and a 6'5" PG.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
When this team has extended defense on the perimeter with the guards they have been solid - creating turnovers and transition opportunities. As Jackson and Grill get more comfortable and can be counted on for more minutes, I think this is still a good plan. It also helps to have an eraser like Conditt in, as you can afford to be more aggressive in passing lanes on the perimeter. The guards on this team play very hard defensively and can make plays on defense, particularly Nixon, Jackson and Bolton. Grill plays hard and makes plays, too, but he's a little behind the others.

I think every offensive possession needs to be built around Haliburton and Bolton attacking the paint. EVERY. SINGLE. POSSESSION. Lots of FTs and open shots for everybody else coming off of that. When Haliburton and Bolton attack the paint, the offense has been good. When the offense is something other than that, it's been pretty bad. And guys need to be ready to score off that action early in the shot clock. Haliburton is probing and finding gaps as soon as he's getting into the frontcourt.

This team can't shoot from three consistently. That's probably not changing. But with the guys they have this could easily be the best transition offense I can remember at ISU. The offense needs to completely revolve around Haliburton and Bolton. If they are both in attack mode at all times they are almost impossible to keep from getting to the paint and getting opportunities for themselves, easy buckets for the bigs (particularly George) or open shots.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
its not like that's a surprise. there's a reason we signed a big time talented big man, 2 6'6" ballers, and a 6'5" PG.

Are you seriously trying to tell me this staff recruited this class like on purpose and to try to add length and athleticism?

that’s crazy talk.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron