Is Lewis injured because

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I’ve seen him get open for shots last year. He missed too often. I get it, he apparently hasn’t improved. The only thing that I don’t get is why he doesn’t get a shot when the rest of the bench is terrible. If he is in trouble that is a different story but there has been no indication of that here.

Lewis is worse than the "terrible" bench players who get minutes. It's not complicated

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Stansbury had me high on Lewis after his first Cap City league.

Damnit Jared.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
My observation from what I have seen in limited interactions at cap city league games and open practice:

1) Lewis thinks he is much better than he actually is
2) I wouldn’t be surprised if the work ethic was lacking

Just my opinion from a few interactions. Doesn’t mean he is a bad team mate.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Lewis is worse than the "terrible" bench players who get minutes. It's not complicated

Talent level is not why he’s the last player off the bench behind walk-ons, he’s likely showing lack of effort or poor attitude in practice.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
The fascination of scholarship players who aren't in the rotation by our fan base is mind boggling
So wondering why a 4 star top 100ish player out of HS isn't playing is mind boggling to you? Not like we grow players like that on trees around here. He had a lot of hype, had some moments his freshman year with a poor team, didn't play on a really talented team, and you are now mind boggled that people are wondering why he doesn't play on a decent team? Cmon now.

I for one am not surprised, but saying it's mind boggling why some are is comical.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So wondering why a 4 star top 100ish player out of HS isn't playing is mind boggling to you? Not like we grow players like that on trees around here. He had a lot of hype, had some moments his freshman year with a poor team, didn't play on a really talented team, and you are now mind boggled that people are wondering why he doesn't play on a decent team? Cmon now.

I for one am not surprised, but saying it's mind boggling why some are is comical.

I think it's mind boggling he's still here so yes I can't understand why people are questioning why he isn't playing. He's clearly behind Jackson and Grill

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Talent level is not why he’s the last player off the bench behind walk-ons, he’s likely showing lack of effort or poor attitude in practice.

I was referring to our bench players that are rotation guys. I don't think he was referring to the walk ons by what he said

Reactions: Cydkar

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The fascination of scholarship players who aren't in the rotation by our fan base is mind boggling
100% agree. Also, you have to think about from Prohm's standpoint.. When the walk ons got into the game, there was about a minute left and the game is over. Putting out a scholarship player in those moments sometimes hurts that player's mindset. Unless Lewis is in Prohm's dog house, I'd assume he would've gotten into the game if we would've had the game wrapped up by about the 5 minute mark.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I think it's mind boggling he's still here so yes I can't understand why people are questioning why he isn't playing. He's clearly behind Jackson and Grill
Yeah it does seem to be somewhat of a wasted scholarship, but we need bodies. We also burned two years of scholarship for one year of Prentis Nixon.... and one a piece for Leech and Anderson. Not the greatest roster management ever.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah it does seem to be somewhat of a wasted scholarship, but we need bodies. We also burned two years of scholarship for one year of Prentis Nixon.... and one a piece for Leech and Anderson. Not the greatest roster management ever.

He shouldn't be playing over Jackson and Grill and our rotation shouldn't be bigger so that's why I'm confused on how it keeps getting brought up

• Winner
Reactions: Dingus

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
Lewis should leave at semester.

The ncaa is handing out waivers left and right these days so he could find a mid major to land at and work all spring / summer on his appeal and honestly would have a good shot to be eligible come fall 2020 for his full senior season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There are bound to be players that don't pan out and also players that exceed their recruiting ranking. Lewis showed some things his freshman year but was also constantly looking lost on both offense and defense. Watching him last year and also this year, he has not gotten better on either side of the ball. If he truly was a great shooter, Coach Prohm would play him. You can handle a couple minutes of poor defense if he's a dead eye shooter, however that's not the case. He doesn't perform well enough on the offensive end to out weigh his deficiencies on the defensive end.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He shouldn't be playing over Jackson and Grill and our rotation shouldn't be bigger so that's why I'm confused on how it keeps getting brought up
Optimism.
It’s much more comfortable to hold out hope that someone on the bench can help improve these glaring weaknesses. Instead it’s just poor roster management and junior that hasn’t improved.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This thread is silly. People going by the few game samples claiming someone should get more playing time. It's almost as if people have never played a competitive sport with a competent coach.
1. Coaches spend a hell of a lot more time around players, watching them perform, watching them put in work in practice and camp. In fact, game-time is a tiny fraction of the time coaches get to watch players compared to practice and offseason workouts.
2. The idea of the Allen Iverson-type "gamer" is pretty much a fantasy. If a guy practices like crap, it's an almost certainty that he'll be crap on gameday.
3. In the event that #2 actually does exist, rewarding a guy with playing time that dogs it in practice because he's marginally better than guys busting their ass at practice is a great way to make other people dog it at practice.

A good coach pushes a player to the best version of themselves. If they don't take care of their business but are simply more talented than someone else that works their ass off, you still have to send that message to that player and to the team that poor effort in practice, being late to meetings, etc. isn't acceptable. Otherwise you're going to develop a **** program. It's like people ******** and moaning about Beverly starting over Lard. Clearly Lard was a better player, but he didn't do what was asked of him and EVERYBODY ELSE in practice, at meetings, in the classroom, etc. Long-term for your program you have to send that message. Whether that sort of thing relates to Lewis, I have no idea. But a fan watching a few minutes of playing time and suggesting he's "earned" minutes over guys like Jackson or Grill have no idea what they are talking about.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron