All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Defensive stats. You think Hall faced better defenses than Goodson?

source.gif

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think you should brush up on the transitive property, you’re not using it correctly here.

One example would be Iowa beat Minn, so they would beat Penn State as well.

An even more egregious use of the property would be that Baylor beat Kansas by 50+, which would mean ISU should win easily by 40+.

Making an inference that Iowa wouldn’t lose to UNI based off watching the teams play other games and utilizing data since the Cleveland/Harrison administrations isn’t using the transitive property. You might not agree with it, but it’s not the transitive property.
It's exactly the transitive property.

Instead of common opponents, you're inferring how Iowa played ISU and projected that on each others schedule. Probably actually worse, as there is even more nuance and variables at play.

Of course you can make an argument, just like people do with the one you mentioned.

Key point: If you're using the Iowa vs ISU game in any shape or form as a factor in your argument, you are using the transitive property. Would your thoughts on those records change had ISU or Iowa won that game in a blowout, while all else remained unchanged? If so, you are using the transitive property.

The greatest illusion of all here has nothing to do with this, as the two teams shown on the field they were incredibly close to each other in overall talent and skill.

Last edited:

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019

Instead of common opponents, you're inferring how Iowa played ISU and projected that on each others schedule. Probably actually worse, as there is even more nuance and variables at play.

Of course you can make an argument, just like people do with the one you mentioned.

The greatest illusion of all here has nothing to do with this, as the two teams shown on the field they were incredibly close to each other in overall talent and skill.
The teams are pretty close overall. They are also constructed very differently. Iowa relies on defense and special teams while the Clones have a more dynamic offensive reliant team. Reality is that both teams are likely constructed this way due to the conference they play in and what it takes to compete. Overall coaching philosophy is also a variable. No doubt Kirk is more "old school" than Campbell but both appear to be getting the job done. I'm sure Ferentz would have liked his offense to perform better as Campbell would liked his defense to perform better at times as well. If those 2 things would have happened both teams would probably be 10-2 or 11-1.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The teams are pretty close overall. They are also constructed very differently. Iowa relies on defense and special teams while the Clones have a more dynamic offensive reliant team. Reality is that both teams are likely constructed this way due to the conference they play in and what it takes to compete. Overall coaching philosophy is also a variable. No doubt Kirk is more "old school" than Campbell but both appear to be getting the job done. I'm sure Ferentz would have liked his offense to perform better as Campbell would liked his defense to perform better at times as well. If those 2 things would have happened both teams would probably be 10-2 or 11-1.

I'd argue the two coaches are closer than you say here on philosophy. Campbell's personnel and less so the conference forces his hand, at least this season. Remember the last two seasons ISU was certainly a defensive led team.

Special teams? We saw whose squad had a vastly superior group in December. Why Iowa won, plain and simple.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53 and jmb

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I'd argue the two coaches are closer than you say here on philosophy. Campbell's personnel and less so the conference forces his hand, at least this season. Remember the last two seasons ISU was certainly a defensive led team.

Special teams? We saw whose squad had a vastly superior group in December. Why Iowa won, plain and simple.
Good points. What's really dumb is the fans of both sides that are too ignorant to realize these things!

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Compared to ours it's very soft. To compare the gap and just how big is the 7th best team in Sagarin is Wisconsin and the 35th best team is Tennessee

Sagarin SOS doesn't break things down between offense and defense. Was Iowa State's schedule tough? Absolutely. But looking just at the defenses they (Goodson and Hall) faced, ISU's schedule wasn't nearly as tough as their overall SOS. Iowa faced three defenses that were better against the run than the best rush defense ISU faced (which was Iowa), and six defenses that were in the top 40 (TCU was the next best rush defense ISU faced at No. 40). Five of those six were also in the top 40 by YPC, while only one of the defenses ISU faced was in the top 40 by YPC (Iowa).

I still picked Hall, but let's at least try to be honest about the quality of competition faced.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sagarin SOS doesn't break things down between offense and defense. Was Iowa State's schedule tough? Absolutely. But looking just at the defenses they (Goodson and Hall) faced, ISU's schedule wasn't nearly as tough as their overall SOS. Iowa faced three defenses that were better against the run than the best rush defense ISU faced (which was Iowa), and six defenses that were in the top 40 (TCU was the next best rush defense ISU faced at No. 40). Five of those six were also in the top 40 by YPC, while only one of the defenses ISU faced was in the top 40 by YPC (Iowa).

I still picked Hall, but let's at least try to be honest about the quality of competition faced.

ISU played a much tougher schedule than Iowa. Much tougher. If Iowa faced tougher defenses than Iowa State, to make that even possible that would have to mean Iowa faced basically the worst offenses in the country and ISU faced the best. Think about that for a second

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Imagine thinking one of the worst offenses in the country would have half the All Iowa team over a top 20 offense. Lol. Also I'm not sure why Iowa fans don't realize Anthony Johnson is really good
I really like Johnson, but it also seems like he gives up a lot of yards and doesn't have enough true deflections. As in he doesn't trust his speed so he is constantly playing extremely soft coverage. Obviously some of that is dictated by the scheme, but man when you compare him to Peavy, that guy just knocked balls away from defenders

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
So you think that .27 yds is the difference between Hall being ELITE and Goodson being average? Goodson averaged more yards per carry but you left that part out. Texas Tech is also the worst P5 defense in the country and that's where a lot of Hall's productivity came from. I said they are very similar talent wise and I think most people that have watched them both play would agree.
ACTUALLY, that isn't true what you said about Tech. Per the website that another poster posted, Tech is 79th while the worst P5 is (big surprise) Rutgers. At 115th. Good try though

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thinking about who the big ten has been getting for teams. Rutgers and Maryland were the last two, neither would be considered good teams. Before that Nebraska, they were on a downward fall for 10 years or so before the picked them up. Think maybe a wake forest will be the next team they take, maybe Syracuse. Then again they might be better than what they have been taking lately.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
most people I know use points per game. So you would rather give up 40 points and 300 yards than a bunch of yards but keep them from scoring?
I really don't disagree with that but when that was argued on here before many didn't like it because that moves the Hawks defense up to around 6th or 7th in the country. Some people (CyTwins) like to use whichever way fits their narrative. Rutgers and Tech both have terrible defenses is the bottom line, We should all be able to agree on that.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I really don't disagree with that but when that was argued on here before many didn't like it because that moves the Hawks defense up to around 6th or 7th in the country. Some people (CyTwins) like to use whichever way fits their narrative. Rutgers and Tech both have terrible defenses is the bottom line, We should all be able to agree on that.
Yeah both defenses are bad, however the style of play also comes into a factor. Tech puts up points and their offense is actually good. Usually the more points you score the more points you give up.. take a look at LSU for that example. Rutgers on the other hand is an absolute joke. Sure they're holding teams to less points but they're also not scoring at all. Their opponents are getting an insurmountable lead right away and most of the time the game is over and backups come in / teams lay off a little bit.

FWIW, Rutgers has scored 6 total touchdowns this year in 9 conference games.. 6. Lol

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah both defenses are bad, however the style of play also comes into a factor. Tech puts up points and their offense is actually good. Usually the more points you score the more points you give up.. take a look at LSU for that example. Rutgers on the other hand is an absolute joke. Sure they're holding teams to less points but they're also not scoring at all. Their opponents are getting an insurmountable lead right away and most of the time the game is over and backups come in / teams lay off a little bit.

FWIW, Rutgers has scored 6 total touchdowns this year in 9 conference games.. 6. Lol

LOL, 6? That is bad.

Agree that pace of play has to be figured into the D stats. Big ten has a lot of snapping the ball with a couple seconds left, big xii is wanting to get the ref out of the way so they can snap right away.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny

Key point: If you're using the Iowa vs ISU game in any shape or form as a factor in your argument, you are using the transitive property. Would your thoughts on those records change had ISU or Iowa won that game in a blowout, while all else remained unchanged? If so, you are using the transitive property.

LOL, are you quoting the wrong person here? Can you quote one of my posts where I project an Iowa game from how they played ISU? I said Iowa wouldn't have lost to UNI. I'm using how both teams looked throughout the year, the level of talent, the matchups, and 125 years of data to make my decision. Not the ISU game.

You're either confused or just not very good at this.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Thinking about who the big ten has been getting for teams. Rutgers and Maryland were the last two, neither would be considered good teams. Before that Nebraska, they were on a downward fall for 10 years or so before the picked them up. Think maybe a wake forest will be the next team they take, maybe Syracuse. Then again they might be better than what they have been taking lately.
Think you guys get the call?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
LOL, 6? That is bad.

Agree that pace of play has to be figured into the D stats. Big ten has a lot of snapping the ball with a couple seconds left, big xii is wanting to get the ref out of the way so they can snap right away.
Yup.. 6 is absolutely terrible, and the funny thing is that they scored half of those against Ohio State, which is ranked the top defense in the country. I'm not dogging Ohio State either, it was 35-7 at half and I'm sure OSU started playing their backups and played with far less intensity.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
LOL, are you quoting the wrong person here? Can you quote one of my posts where I project an Iowa game from how they played ISU? I said Iowa wouldn't have lost to UNI. I'm using how both teams looked throughout the year, the level of talent, the matchups, and 125 years of data to make my decision. Not the ISU game.

You're either confused or just not very good at this.
Oh I'm sorry, I mistakenly confused you of using the transitive property on one game, not all of them...

But then again, weren't YOU the one that claims to be a subject expert on the matter, while all the time demonstrating you don't understand the principle at all by taking it to a new level each and every time.