***Official ISU Bowl Predictions***

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The way I see it, the only way (or most likely way) ISU could get a bid to Cheez-It AND play a Pac-12 opponent is for Georgia to beat LSU and get the 4th playoff slot (thereby pushing both B12 and P12 downward). Is my assessment sound?

If Georgia beats LSU, we could see a 2018 Alamo Bowl rematch in the Cheez-It Bowl.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Are you sure this is right? I thought they could pick any remaining team within the top 12 or 16 or whatever the rule was. But maybe that has changed.

From the CFP guide/manual:

When not hosting Playoff Semifinals, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls will welcome displaced conference champions and the top-ranked champion from a non-contract conference. The highest-ranked available teams will fill any other berths. The selection committee will make the pairings.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Assuming BU wins and the same scenarios in reverse if OU wins...

1- If BU doesn’t make the playoff there’s two options:

A- OU is ranked high enough to get the at-large bid to the Cotton Bowl. This isn’t a pick by the Cotton, it’s purely who’s the highest ranked team after the other NY6 pick.

B- Alamo picks OU and thanks their lucky stars to get them

2- BU makes the playoff and OU goes to the Sugar.

If it's Baylor vs Utah, it's going to be very, very interesting. Those two are much, much closer than OU vs Utah IMO. Utah would have game control over Baylor, but Baylor would have 1 more top 25 win. Both would have the same number of quality wins.

Reactions: twojman

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Below is my bowl predictions for your amusement. Enjoy.

Playoff: Oklahoma
Sugar: Baylor
Alamo: OSU
CWB: Texas
Texas: KSU
Liberty: ISU

Below is my rationale:

To me, it looks like both OU and Baylor will make the playoffs (or other NY6 bowl) and the Sugar regardless of which one loses the Big 12 Championship game. The loser would need to drop out of the top 10 which doesn't seem likely since no one below them has an opportunity to move up (other than maybe Oregon) after this weekend's games.

Alamo won't pick us since we were just there last year. In the last ten years, they have only picked the same team two years in a row once...Texas because, well its Texas. When we were down there last year, the Alamo seemed to make a really big deal about how they usually want a team from Texas/Oklahoma to fills the stands. I just don't see them picking a non-Texas/Oklahoma team two years in a row...so KSU is out. So that leaves OSU and Texas. I will guess that they pick OSU over Texas but it might be close.

If the Alamo picks OSU, then the CWB will pick Texas vs ND. I just can't see the CWB passing on that matchup. If Texas is at the Alamo, then OSU is likely for the CWB with a very very outside chance at ISU. OSU was there in 2017 so that might be too soon for a return. Additionally, we have apparently been lobbying them hard all year so I think we might have a leg up on KSU.

Finally the Texas and Liberty bowls seem to be toss ups between ISU and KSU. It seems that both schools have numerous pros/cons for each bowl that are hard to differentiate. That being said, my gut says KSU to Texas and ISU to Liberty.

...with all that being said,lets hope for the shocker of the CWB picking ISU vs ND.
Playoff: Oklahoma
Sugar: Baylor
Alamo: Texas
CWB: KSU
Texas: ISU
Liberty: OSU

I feel like people are forgetting that Sanders is out for OSU which likely has a big impact.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
If Texas isn't ranked tonight the Alamo Bowl isn't going to select them. They have a significant streak of top 25 teams playing... San Antonio embraces the Alamo Bowl and selecting Texas would be a massive blow to economic potential. Either OSU or K-State will be in the Alamo Bowl if OU makes the playoff.
Could have easily been Iowa State with a win @ K-State last Saturday. Really HUGE missed opportunity.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
With sites like Memphis, you run the risk for cruddy weather in late December, no getting around that. There’s a chance it could be an outlier for hot & dry, too -- if not likely. Just because previous two bowls were less-than-ideal (and no doubt worse than average) doesn’t mean it’s always going to happen.

I was curious and checked the averages. Used full month of December, not enough time to try to find by-date numbers. No surprise, Memphis is worst of the four locations, by an uncomfortable margin.

Daily high/low in December for the bowl cities:
Houston 64/45
Memphis 52/38
Orlando 73/52
Phoenix 67/45

Precipitation days, December (monthly rainfall, inches)
(no surprise which city has the least!)
Houston 10 (3.7)
Memphis 10 (5.7)
Orlando 7 (2.6)
Phoenix 3 (0.9)
It's always Cold at the Liberty Bowl! I've been 5 times: 1976 (really cold - 18F at kickoff), 1993 (cold sleet), 2007 (cold and sunny), 2012 (Cold and rainy) and 2017 (cold and sunny). It gets COLD in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl. It's a tradition! Just hope that it is DRY too!

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I feel like the committee kept the door open for Big 12 to get into playoff with OU and Baylor ranked right next to each other. I was hoping both KSU and OSU would be ranked which would have boosted resumes of both OU and Baylor. (Better loss for OU and Top 25 win for Baylor) If Cincy loses to Memphis, I think KSU sneaks in top 25 and OSU stays in top 25. Cincy drops out.

I think Big 12 should have two NY6 participants with these rankings. Wisky will lose and Baylor/OU loser drops to 9 or 10 with Penn St and Florida each moving up a spot.

Big 12 is in decent shape right now IMO...IF (IF) Georgia loses. I don't think it matters if Utah wins either. Now if there are blowouts etc one way or another this could change my thinking.

OU/Baylor both in NY6/Playoff
OSU to Alamo Bowl
Texas to CWB
ISU to Texas Bowl
KSU to Liberty Bowl

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
It looks like the Big 12 could get both OU and Baylor into the NY6 based on the rankings. If OU makes the playoff, it's a sure thing. If they don't, it will depend whether the CCG loser slides behind Penn State and Wisconsin for who gets the Cotton Bowl bid vs Memphis/Cincinnati winner.

If OU and BU make the NY6, I think Texas and Oklahoma State will go to the Alamo/Camping World in some combination since OSU is ranked. That would mean Texas chooses between ISU and KSU and the other one gets Liberty. Texas Bowl is going to get a lower-tier SEC team (Texas A&M, Mississippi State) and Liberty is still a wild card but looks like a good AAC team (UCF, Navy).

If only one makes NY6, the other goes to Alamo. Then I think Texas and OSU get Camping World/Texas in some order and the Liberty is choosing between KSU and ISU while the other goes Cheez-It. KSU is apparently trying to avoid going to Arizona for the 3rd time since 2013, and we would be going to Memphis for the 3rd time since 2012. So I would imagine K-State gets Liberty and we go to Cheez-It. It would probably be vs Air Force if Utah is in the playoff and I think vs Washington State if Georgia gets in (with LSU).

Isu4meandyou

Nov 18, 2017
I have no inside information but I see the way things are shaping up and we're going to Houston book it

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron