Campbell Extended

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
That Hawkeye fan troll account started on Twitter on Monday purporting to be FSU booster with information that Campbell is their head coach, is still trying to run with it after the extension was announced.

Classic!
wait... what?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I know Fred has come up a couple times in this thread and I'm not wading into his behavior and choices other than to say I really think what happened to him was probably really instructive to Campbell. I think both in terms of risk/reward and money, you can make a case that ISU is the better long-term move both in basketball and football than most blueblood college jobs or pro jobs.

It's great that he's locked up until 2025 but as we all know the buyout and structure of the deal is what matters. In terms of having Campbell as our coach during conference realignment in 2023-24 or whenever, this doesn't seem to really change anything from where we stood 24 hours ago.

Unrelated: I will never, as long as I live, understand people's affinity for the word "butthurt."

Last edited:

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
That Hawkeye fan troll account started on Twitter on Monday purporting to be FSU booster with information that Campbell is their head coach, is still trying to run with it after the extension was announced.

Classic!
Mizzoo and the Hoks have a lot more in common than just their school colors...

• Agree
Reactions: ISUalways

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I know Fred has come up a couple times in this thread and I'm not wading into his behavior and choices other than to say I really think what happened to him was probably really instructive to Campbell. I think both in terms of risk/reward and money, you can make a case that ISU is the better long-term move both in basketball and football than most blueblood college jobs or pro jobs.

It's great that he's locked up until 2025 but as we all know the buyout and structure of the deal is what matters. In terms of having Campbell as our coach during conference realignment in 2023-24 or whenever, this doesn't seem to really change anything from where we stood 24 hours ago.

Unrelated: I will never, as long as I live, understand people's affinity for the word "butthurt."

having jp and having campbell around in 2023-2024 with pay dividends

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
it's almost comical how different this feels than the rhoads era, which wasn't as long ago as it seems. one thing that stands out to me is how iowa state simply does not get blown out anymore. i went back and compared CMC's games to CPR's games, disregarding each coach's first season (just because i feel like it's too early to be an indicator). under CPR, iowa state averaged about 8 losses per season compared to about 8 wins per season under CMC. in those losses during the CPR era, the average loss was by 19.5 points per game. again, throwing out his first season, iowa state hasn't lost a single game by more than 14 points under CMC. the average loss is by 5.7 points. one game was lost by 14, four games by 10, and the rest, on average, by 3.1 points. a big thing i'm paying attention to in the next season or two is the ability to win the close games. sans year one, CMC is 8-10 in games decided by 7 points or less. if you include year one, he's 9-14. hopefully in a couple years we're talking about the big step CMC has made in close games rather than wondering why there's still an issue with finishing in crunch time.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
A Mizzery fan is posting this. Dumpster Fire U. man is telling us how to run our football program. How is the SEC pussycat?

Here is the text:

Cross another one off the Missouri coaching search list ...Matt Campbell has signed an extension at Iowa State until 2025...maybe he should lose to K-State every year... and he is only 26 and 24 in four years in Ames...All hat no cattle?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
A Mizzery fan is posting this. Dumpster Fire U. man is telling us how to run our football program. How is the SEC pussycat?

Here is the text:

Cross another one off the Missouri coaching search list ...Matt Campbell has signed an extension at Iowa State until 2025...maybe he should lose to K-State every year... and he is only 26 and 24 in four years in Ames...All hat no cattle?

26 and 24 in Ames and he wouldn't even sniff their job opening. It's weird to hear that from fans of a school that wanted to hire Campbell twice.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: awd4cy and StClone

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
He is a man of uncommon decency and integrity. Many on here aren't used to dealing with a person of impeccable character. Can't imagine a better trio than JP, CMC and CSP.
Jim, Jack, and Jose? The Three Musketeers? The Three Stooges? Huey, Dewey, and Louie? Charlie’s Angels? Ed, Edd, and Eddy? The Three Little Pigs? TLC?

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
As someone that has been raised around a ton of KU and MU fans I have been having the argument the last couple days that KU right now is a better job than Mizzou. No bans, school has some money, didn't just fire a 6-6 coach, don't have to be fodder for the SEC teams with bigger budgets. Just be competitive and you are an improvement.

Oh, and yes, Mizzou fans absolutely thought they were getting Campbell.

I said it yesterday in a thread but I went to the Chiefs game on Sunday in an ISU hat and had 2 conversations with Mizzou fans who said they wanted Campbell in total seriousness like they even had a shot. Tough to even have a realistic conversation.