***Official ISU Bowl Predictions***

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Embarrassing performance by TCU today. My guess is that there will be a new OC there next season. Duggan is a pretty good athlete but has a long ways to go to being a decent Big 12 QB.

Only 6 bowl eligible teams from the Big 12 is not a good look. Need to get away from the 9 game conference schedule ASAP to save 5 teams a loss.

Really dumb thing to post. I recommend that you delete it.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Anybody else think the idea of bowl tie-ins is dumb and outdated? Just group them into tiers, and let them "draft" or "claim" their choice of teams.

It would eliminate the pandering by the ADs and make the selection that much more interesting.
I’ve always thought there was a better way of doing the bowl selections that would make it more interesting and exciting. The selection show would be so much more fun and fans would have much more opportunity to enjoy a variety of locations and teams from conferences we never get to see.

Now it’s not perfect because the tie ins allow fans to kind of book ahead of time because you have a general idea where you are going. And there would be an issue of the same teams/brands getting selected first for the best bowls, so you would certainly have to put qualifiers in there.

One way you could do it is assign each bowl a certain level of prestige. So in the same pot is the Alamo Bowl, Citrus Bowl and Outback Bowl or something like that and they have to pick from only the second place teams from the power 5. That way fans still have an idea of where they can start booking their trip but it has more variety each year and is still performance based. Obviously if you have a team make the CFP it moves everyone up in your league so maybe that would have to be addressed. But you get the idea.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anybody else think the idea of bowl tie-ins is dumb and outdated? Just group them into tiers, and let them "draft" or "claim" their choice of teams.

It would eliminate the pandering by the ADs and make the selection that much more interesting.

I don't want to eliminate the pandering by the ADs as long as Jamie Pollard is better at it than everyone else!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The networks might even prefer it. They own the rights to every B1G schools’ home games whether they’re conference games or not. They would have more sway over non-con schedules with more non-con games to play with (the season-opening neutral site games are often arranged with the help of ESPN).

The Networks pushed the B1G to go to 9 games because they needed the inventory to balance out the money they were going to be paying out. Schools playing 1 P5 team and 3 sisters of the poor wasn't going to pay the bills.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I just don't see how we get Orlando ending the season on a fart like that

Especially if you assume OU doesn't get into the CFP

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Overall Big 12 tie-ins aren't awe-inspiring, but its top end is fine and the geographic variation is interesting, at least. And we don't have Pinstripe or Independence anymore (or, going further back, In-Humanitarian).

Is "rep" still a thing? I'd like to +1 you for the "In-Humanitarian" bowl phrase because that is just fantastic.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyclones500

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I for one would love to go back to memphis, it is the closest bowl, it fits in better with the holiday schedule and every time I have been there it has been a blast. The camping world bowl is on a saturday this year which is nice but its a lot harder to get to and I have no desire to go to Disney.

You like cold and rainy weather? That's what it has been the last 2 times in Memphis.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I’ve always thought there was a better way of doing the bowl selections that would make it more interesting and exciting. The selection show would be so much more fun and fans would have much more opportunity to enjoy a variety of locations and teams from conferences we never get to see.

Now it’s not perfect because the tie ins allow fans to kind of book ahead of time because you have a general idea where you are going. And there would be an issue of the same teams/brands getting selected first for the best bowls, so you would certainly have to put qualifiers in there.

One way you could do it is assign each bowl a certain level of prestige. So in the same pot is the Alamo Bowl, Citrus Bowl and Outback Bowl or something like that and they have to pick from only the second place teams from the power 5. That way fans still have an idea of where they can start booking their trip but it has more variety each year and is still performance based. Obviously if you have a team make the CFP it moves everyone up in your league so maybe that would have to be addressed. But you get the idea.

Some good ideas there. I didn't think about keeping some semblance of tie-in for fan planning purpose. Relevant realistic point.

The vision I've had since they went to 4-team playoff (and actually, even when it was BCS): once the CFP is set, make the bowl selections based strictly on CFP ranking among remaining teams, down to, say, #16, top non-P5 gets auto bid (and is placed as close to its ranking level as possible. Exceptions would be avoiding rematches and perhaps intra-conference pairings. Top 4 games are the NY Day showcases. That guarantees we're seeing the best matchups (at least most likely, on paper).

There would be a pecking order of bowls, with the traditional NYD/CFP semifinal rotation we currently, have. Then could rotate the next tier of bowls (Outback, Alamo, etc.)

Below that, bidding process with perhaps some tie-in for planning.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Stewart Mandel from The Athletic has us in Phoenix playing Air Force. No Big 12 team in Playoff.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Some good ideas there. I didn't think about keeping some semblance of tie-in for fan planning purpose. Relevant realistic point.

There would be a pecking order of bowls, with the traditional NYD/CFP semifinal rotation we currently, have. Then could rotate the next tier of bowls (Outback, Alamo, etc.)

Below that, bidding process with perhaps some tie-in for planning.
I think that for at least the last few years the Outback Bowl has been in a tier way, way below the Alamo Bowl. :D

Reactions: TXCyclones

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Iowa States travel/fan reputation are going to carry more weight than how they ended the season. The Camping World Bowl is definitely still in play if OU makes the playoff.

I just don't see it. Assuming OU makes the playoff and then Alamo takes Texas, the Camping World can select between these three resumes.

Ranked 8-4 KSU
Beat ISU and OU

Ranked 8-4 OSU
Beat ISU and KSU

Unranked 7-5 ISU
Beat Texas

Assuming Notre Dame is also in Orlando, selling tickets will not be a problem. So it's gonna come down to TV ratings and the best way to do that is another ranked team. OSU was there is 2017 so I really think KSU, who travels well too, is going to Orlando in this scenario.

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I just don't see it. Assuming OU makes the playoff and then Alamo takes Texas, the Camping World can select between these three resumes.

Ranked 8-4 KSU
Beat ISU and OU

Ranked 8-4 OSU
Beat ISU and KSU

Unranked 7-5 ISU
Beat Texas

Assuming Notre Dame is also in Orlando, selling tickets will not be a problem. So it's gonna come down to TV ratings and the best way to do that is another ranked team. OSU was there is 2017 so I really think KSU, who travels well too, is going to Orlando.

If Texas isn't ranked tonight the Alamo Bowl isn't going to select them. They have a significant streak of top 25 teams playing... San Antonio embraces the Alamo Bowl and selecting Texas would be a massive blow to economic potential. Either OSU or K-State will be in the Alamo Bowl if OU makes the playoff.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If OU wins on Saturday I really don't think the committee will keep them out. OU's resume will be too good to pass up and Utah would loose money.