Do you consider Kansas State a rival?

• Yes

Votes: 147 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 28.6%

• Total voters

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I consider KSU a rival. As peer institutions in so many ways it has always been fairly amicable, but I'll be damned if KSU vampiring us nearly every year doesn't get under my skin. This is the Big 12 game I want to win most next year. Both programs are trying to fill the same niche as the northern-style culture program of the Big 12. Both fanbases are really similar, and for me that's annoying the same way that people with similar personalities can clash. It's like looking in a mirror, but the image in the mirror has won 11 of the last 12. And from what I can tell a portion of KSU's fanbase feels rather threatened by Campbell and jealous of the attention him and ISU have received, and that has served to spice things up. KSU fans think they're program is naturally superior to ours because of the last 30 years, while ISU fans think that we're just waiting for our own Snyder (while still being better than KSU pre-Snyder).

TL;DR it's definitely more of rivalry than the "Hero's Game," which is only remotely a thing because Nebraska ran away from their family like a misunderstood teen turned vagabond.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
This is the only time I’ll post here and I’ll delete my account soon after but I was curious what your fanbase thinks. Over on the K-State rivals board we had a poll before the game Saturday and the question was: Is Iowa State a rival? The result care back as Yes: 261 No: 166.

I wanted to see if you guys over here think of Kansas State as a rival now. Consensus over on our site was that at first “Farmaggedon” seemed like a manufactured attempt at a rivalry after Mizzou and Nebraska left the conference. But now it has become somewhat real with Matt Campbell as coach and you guys having a good team. Thoughts?

Also best of luck in your bowl game!

First, FARMAGGEDON was a tongue in cheek response to KU vs Mizzou’s Big XII game at Arrowhead they called Armageddon when ISU and KSU also played at Arrowhead. But FARMAGGEDON was A) more awesome, and B) involved 2 better fan bases so it stuck. Had nothing to do with anyone leaving the Big XII. It’s been a bit lopsided (at least one game largely due to officiating incompetence in 2017) but is a truly great rivalry between two schools with a long history and more similarities than differences and NEEDS A TROPHY. The trophy needs to be of the same spirit that the name FARMAGGEDON came from.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Probably - but I think there is more "bad blood" with Baylor in recent years.
Agree with the Baylor sentiment. I get most emotional and feel the most intense hatred for that team. At the same time, they kind of lack a fan base, so it's hard to gauge who to direct your venom at come game week. Baylor is villain, K-State is more annoying cousin.

In basketball, aside from Kansas obvi, I really can't stand West Virginia and really hate when we drop a game to them, or even when I see their name pop up on the bottom of the screen showing them victorious.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I would say we are rivals with KSU and Baylor as we are all battling for kind of the same spot in the conference. I was really hoping one of them would fall off with the coaching changes but unfortunately it looks like they both got some good ones.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
Agree with the Baylor sentiment. I get most emotional and feel the most intense hatred for that team. At the same time, they kind of lack a fan base, so it's hard to gauge who to direct your venom at come game week. Baylor is villain, K-State is more annoying cousin.

In basketball, aside from Kansas obvi, I really can't stand West Virginia and really hate when we drop a game to them, or even when I see their name pop up on the bottom of the screen showing them victorious.

everyone in the conference wants to beat Kansas in bball...and in truth no one can rival their success. But it Would be interesting to know who they most like to play and beat in conference (now that Missouri is in the SEC).

Just a thought about basketball the Texas schools are probably rivals with each other ... Okie and Okie state are probably rivals and Kansas -kstate are natural rivals. Does that make WVU the ISU rival by default?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
everyone in the conference wants to beat Kansas in bball...and in truth no one can rival their success. But it Would be interesting to know who they most like to play and beat in conference (now that Missouri is in the SEC).
ISU had more success vs Kansas the last 25 years than any team in the conference. We have been the biggest thorn in their side over that time span than any other team in the conference.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
4-16 since 2000...

All time record would purpose a rivalry, but i think the only reason it feels that way is because of how close the games usually are.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I say it is a rivalry. Every time we lose this game, it really gets under everyone's skin in a way that losing to another team doesn't. We we lose to Oklahoma State, it sucks and we pout over it, but we get over it. When we lose to Kansas State, it hangs on us for a while.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's the closest thing to a rivalry within the Big 12, but I wouldn't consider it a rivalry. It's a game every year I'd really like to win mostly because of the way the last 7-8 years have gone against K State. But they don't generate the type of dislike necessary for a true rival. Every other day of the year I don't really care what KSU is doing.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
4-16 since 2000...

All time record would purpose a rivalry, but i think the only reason it feels that way is because of how close the games usually are.
Exactly why I don't feel like it's too much of a rivalry. ISU has a much better record in moral victories than actual ones in recent years. In the CPR era, and year 1 of Campbell, it felt good if the game was within a score or two. Then we get the debacle of 2017, then finally get over the hump in a come from behind win last year against a depleted K-State. This year, I still don't think they're very good, but we've seen Klieman get them motivated more than once this year to win games they shouldn't. Mentally, they are everything I think Matt Campbell wishes this ISU team could be, but for whatever reason isn't achieving.

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
I would say yes'ish but still feels a bit forced. I think to the old Big12 and just how similar ISU, KSU, and OSU are to each other as universities (Ag/Tech schools) with in state rivals with serious narcissistic superiority complexes. I felt KSU/OSU were more sister schools and was always nice to witness the State schools beat the likes of Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Nebby etc.

With that in the current climate sure its a rivalry. My disdain is still fueled by the refs picking up multiple flags in Manhattan 3 meetings ago. I've never been more angry with a game in my fandom.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Not really. KSU (ranked #162) is lower than ISU (#121), but the three other school you listed are #57, #57 (tie) and #84.
Is KSU in the AAU?

It will be interesting to see if ISU can ascend back up the rankings in the coming decade or two. The huge surge in enrollment hurt us on ratios.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think it's absolutely a rivalry. It's different than Iowa, because it isn't pure hatred, but both fan bases absolutely hate losing to the other. KSU as a school and fanbase is strikingly similar to us. Like someone else pointed out, it's like being annoyed with someone that's really similar to you.

I hate that they've been so successful while we've struggled, and am damn ready to see that script flip.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
No, whoever started this poll/discussion is not me wearing a sock.

As to rivalry, it was stated above, you hate losing to a rival like no other. For ISU that's Iowa. For K-State that's Ku. And my sense is that we loathe Ku way more than Clones hate on Hawkeyes.

To me, Farmageddon is more like Indiana/Purdue than Auburn/Alabama or Army/Air Force than Texas/aTm. We don't live with it all year if we lose. We don't hate one another. We don't see one another at the coffee shop much less scowl at the colors. There's maybe even a modicum of respect.

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and Doc