***MLB Off season Thread 2019/2020***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Finally, some baseball news.

I was of half a mind that when the Twins gave Odorizzi the qualifying offer of $17.5M that they were counting on him declining it. Is best that he did call the bluff, if it was one, and accept it. Maybe if he pitches well through mid-2020 they can work out a contract. Starting pitching is SO hard to come by. Anyway, good news for the Twins. And better one year money than Jack was likely to get elsewhere but obviously lacks the security of a multi-year.

https://www.mlb.com/twins/news/jake-odorizzi-accepts-twins-qualifying-offer

Some more from Star Tribune with some insight/deals.

Odorizzi had 10 days to gauge teams’ willingness to offer him long-term deals, and ultimately he chose to wait until next winter, when draft-pick compensation can no longer apply to him. In addition, the free-agent market won’t include as many high-end starters looking for big contracts, as such pitchers as Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg and Hyun-Jin Ryu are this year; the competition could be pitchers like Marcus Stroman and James Paxton.

http://www.startribune.com/jake-odo...ns-allows-both-sides-to-look-ahead/564938822/

Having thought about it more I think Jake made a good biz decision here. He might be the pitcher headliner FA in winter 2021 if he repeats this years record/stats.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Another off-season deadline that has consequences to all the team, 40 man rosters need to be selected by 8 p.m. Wednesday.

MLB article below notes prospects for each team for adding or risk losing via Rule 5 draft.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/top-prospects-eligible-for-rule-5-draft

For my guys, the Yanks, I think a couple of guys like Bird and Adams are going to get non tendered to make room for five or six top prospects.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Another off-season deadline that has consequences to all the team, 40 man rosters need to be selected by 8 p.m. Wednesday.

MLB article below notes prospects for each team for adding or risk losing via Rule 5 draft.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/top-prospects-eligible-for-rule-5-draft

For my guys, the Yanks, I think a couple of guys like Bird and Adams are going to get non tendered to make room for five or six top prospects.

Okay who did your guys keep or cut?

My guys added seven prospects to the 40 man. :eek: The Yanks finally released Jacoby Ellsbury, aka the fragile Glassbury, and are eating a yuge chunk of cash owed to him. He can retire now that his money isn't jeopardized and stop pretending to rehab so the Yanks can collect insurance on him (no insurance for this last year of his contract). He's never going to play again, ain't nobody in their right mind would even give him a workout. They also DFA'd Greg Bird who spends most of his time on the IL. Saw a blogger note that he has bones made of string cheese. LOL. Also "Mr. March" for his spring training stats.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballot is out:

It would be a total travesty for Gary Sheffield to be voted into the Hall, imo. When he was a Brewer, he purposely played awful, just so he'd get traded. Total Bush League stuff, & behavior that completely disqualifies him from being a HOF'er. In fact, he is one of my least favorite ball players of all-time.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
It would be a total travesty for Gary Sheffield to be voted into the Hall, imo. When he was a Brewer, he purposely played awful, just so he'd get traded. Total Bush League stuff, & behavior that completely disqualifies him from being a HOF'er. In fact, he is one of my least favorite ball players of all-time.
lol... there are plenty of reasons that Gary Sheffield isn't close to getting into the Hall and this at the top of the list. That's more like sour grapes that he got out of Milwaukee and went on to mash homers for the next 15 years.

I'd me more inclined to reference his steroid links (BALCO/Mitchell Report) and the fact he was atrocious defensively his entire career dragging down his value. Adding in the fact that he was largely disliked during his career for a litany of reasons (Milwaukee issues included) makes the case for why he hasn't even sniffed the Hall yet.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Yankee$ deciding to give a Christmas gift to Ellsbury's attorneys, doctors, and expert witnesses.

I-Statefanin IACity78

Sep 10, 2019
Other then Jeter I think the next most deserved candidate is Billy Wagner. Qaulity over quanity as a relief pitcher he was dominant at times.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'm not disappointed to see the Twins miss out on signing Wheeler. Especially with the money Philly paid him.
Really hope the Twins can land MadBum. He's the better fit for for them.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saturday hot take. Despite all of the articles and speculation, the Yanks will never pay what it would take to get Cole to NY. The Scott Boras pricing and the fact it ain't California make this a non-starter IMHO since it would require insane money beyond the normal insane big star money. Yanks management has to play the game though, for appearances.

Also guessing the oft injured Strasborg will resign with Washington.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Twins resign Michael Pineda. $10/year is pretty decent value and makes sense for both sides. He's better off staying and serving his suspension with the same team, think that will ease he transition back. Plus the division is still going to be bad and Twins can afford to wait for him to be back to 2019 level which was pretty good. As much as I think his excuse for the failed drug test was complete BS, I've always had a soft spot for him, maybe because of all of his bad luck with injuries.