OL going forward

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
There was an article the Wall Street Journal put out a few years ago where they concluded that there's a strong correlation between the number of starts on the OL and wins. Unfortunately this doesn't bode well for ISU next year.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
There was an article the Wall Street Journal put out a few years ago where they concluded that there's a strong correlation between the number of starts on the OL and wins. Unfortunately this doesn't bode well for ISU next year.

We had a shitload of starts returning this year...

• Agree
Reactions: Miller_Cy_Life

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Let's face it, the OL needs to be improved next year, or we'll be looking at 6 or 7 wins again.

So can it be improved after losing 4 starters next year? I do think there's hope that it can be, but I wonder if CMC is considering adding a JUCO or a transfer? Thoughts?

You have to figure the starters (and a few backups) will look something like this....

T- Ramos/Foster
G- Hudson
C- Newell/Schweiger
G- Downing
T- Treiber/Foster

..... and then others in the mix will be... Hufford, Remsburg, Kleinow, Ross, Simmons... with true freshman coming in... Tyler Miller, Pauls, Petersen, and Rengert.

I just think looking at the youth and inexperience of that starting 5 that CMC might be thinking of adding a more experienced JUCO or transfer into the mix?

That tackle spot will be the key. The other 4 positions will be solid, with Downing and Newell being potential all conference types. RT has been a huge weakness for this team for years. Sounds like Treiber has the talent, but he's unproven.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If they can't get a GT at tackle, I'm pretty sure it will be Ramos and Trieber. I think with Foster he just doesn't have the quickness and hips for tackle in pretty much any offense. I think our offense would be fine with having a guy that's a straight mauler at one of the guards if he lacked lateral quickness, but he's so tall that's probably not a good fit. Unfortunately he's got a tackle frame and G hips and feet at best.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Glad someone put all the details in this thread. If you go back and look at recruiting this staff pulled miraculous rebuilds at a lot of positions, but O line wasn't one of them. So the position that takes the longest for new players to develop also had the slowest talent turn around.

I think the talent has been upgraded, but most of them still need some more development. I still think they are 2 years from being in a good spot. I'd expect next years line to have a lot of long term potential but still have similar results to this year.

• Agree
Reactions: cymonw1980

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
The problem is the O-line. Has been for a long time. I / we say it every year...

When they get push, open holes, and protect the QB -- many happy points are scored.

When they get bullied around - whether thru scheme (UNI every gd year) or thru physicality (Iowa this year, Texas last year, K St 2 nights ago) then the offense really struggles.

Clones got beat up front saturday night, and that is still how you win/lose football games. Plus 2 on turnovers, and lost by 10??? They got manhandled by K State, period.

The three points off of two turnovers is on Manning 100%. Completely inexcusable.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Iowa State was one of the least penalized teams in the country... Friday was an anomaly but false starts tend to happen frequently when you are absolutely getting your *ss kicked in the trenches.

I would be shocked if anyone in the country had more false starts than ISU this last season. While getting beat badly as an OL is not fun, the team has to figure out a way to get better. 6-7 false starts in a game is horrible, and I can clearly recall 3 losses in the last year when ISU did that. Clearly there is something systematically wrong with what ISU is doing, and it needs to be fixed. As others have pointed out, it seemed like KSU knew the snap count better than the OL.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
All season the media wrote about how great and improved our O line is. I couldn't stand it. Not once did we control the game with the run, or take over with it. Breece had his moments but a lot of those were on him, not gaping holes. There are two players that are Big 12 level starters on that line. Downing and Knipfel. Everyone else is replaceable.
The O-line was better than last year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Did it against WSU, Baylor and KSU. That is plenty of times for me to be concerned.

Now go pick 3 games where the o-line had minimal or no penalties. Being selective is super fun and GTFOH bringing in the WSU game, that was last season.

Last edited:

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
We were literally one of the least penalized teams in the country this season. JFC 6-7 false starts was not the norm.

Least penalized team and least penalized o-line are two different things. We have had a lot of pre snap penalties this year. Don’t have the numbers .. but way too many. Huge problem in the OU game as well.

• Agree
Reactions: SDClone

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
All season the media wrote about how great and improved our O line is. I couldn't stand it. Not once did we control the game with the run, or take over with it. Breece had his moments but a lot of those were on him, not gaping holes. There are two players that are Big 12 level starters on that line. Downing and Knipfel. Everyone else is replaceable.

It was improved...as evidenced by the difference of Hall most times facing first contact at the line of scrimmage versus Montgomery two yards behind it. Not where we need to be, but certainly an improvement. IMO we did take a step backwards when Newell got hurt. He's definitely Big 12 level. So was Good-Jones. Downing wasn't better than either of those two, but he certainly has a huge upside over Good-Jones.

Next year will be a challenge, but the line will represent an increase in the talent level. Hopefully their floor is where we left off this year.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Breakdown of false starts in each game:
UNI 0
Iowa 2
ULM 1
Baylor 0
TCU 1
WVU 2
TTech 1
OSU 1
OU 6
Texas 0
Kansas 1
KSU 6
Thanks for putting this together - I think it is safe to say the 6 in those two games may have impacted the outcome. With the youth of next years line if they can avoid having games like this they could be just as good as this year's line but will have more years ahead of themselves rather than this being the pinnacle.