Be thankful for this team and not negative

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I think this is a great post. I truly don't think any true Cyclone fan doesn't love the fact we are 7-5 and a little disappointed by that because we have had a great three years here compared to our history. That being said, you are spot on in that this fan base (especially the ones that have been fans for 25+ years are just getting impatient and angsty because they want to see that special 10-win season just once like almost every other program has had. Just once. This year we were so close with a rather pedestrian year for the conference (kind of like '05) and we just couldn't get over the hump. To be that close to what we all want to see this program do is hard, and people are just anxious and venting because we are that dang close to seeing that special season.

exactly the opposite is true about the decent fanbase.

those of us that have sat in jack trice and watched terrible football should look at the sustainability of what is being built here and write checks like some of us do.

this isn’t McCarney leaching off the north getting bad, and avoiding the good teams in the south. This is a real program being built. That’s never happened here in modern times. There was a brief moment in the 70’s that there was a possibility, but people refused to spend money then.

well the commitment is being made. The lack of really good o line play has to be addressed to make the next step.

losing Campbell and his coaches now would be devastating.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Looking at some stats:

ISU was 21st in total offense.
16th in yards per play. Both good, but we actually ended up 9th in the league in rushing offense.

ISU looks like it finished 43rd in total defense. Big drop off towards the end of the season, but still finished with the Big 12's #1 rush defense.

We had some poor special teams numbers as everyone can guess. ISU was actually 2nd in punt return average, but we only returned 8 punts all year. Have to improve special teams all over or we'll never have the season we all want to have.

And we were -1 in turnover margin. Hopefully that will be positive again someday...

• Optimistic
Reactions: Sevey

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

those of us that have sat in jack trice and watched terrible football should look at the sustainability of what is being built here and write checks like some of us do.

this isn’t McCarney leaching off the north getting bad, and avoiding the good teams in the south. This is a real program being built. That’s never happened here in modern times. There was a brief moment in the 70’s that there was a possibility, but people refused to spend money then.

well the commitment is being made. The lack of really good o line play has to be addressed to make the next step.

The problem is so many of you saying the whole, "We remember when we were crap blah, blah, blah" are not understanding what those that are frustrated with this season are saying. WE KNOW THIS IS STILL BETTER THAN WE HAVE EVER HAD IT. That doesn't take away from having higher expectations and then having a real opportunity there for a 9 or 10 win season but just not getting the job done. You can have both. In life there are opportunities, and when you have a great opportunity, you need to cash in on them because you really don't know when it will happen again. To reverse your point on you about our history, our history says we don't get many of these opportunities, and when we have (old Big 12 North) we didn't cash in. We thought under Mac and Rhoads we had something going, but it never came to fruition. Now, I truly think Campbell and his staff are different and this will be much more sustainable, but that isn't a guarantee at all. This year the conference wasn't Big 12 North bad, but anyone who thinks it was anything other than average is kidding themselves. The conference this year was mediocre at best.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Grateful for the whole program and the recent consistent success.

Wish the team was better prepared for various situations and judging by CMC's comments, so does he.

Hopefully some news breaks this week about him extending or something along those lines.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
It seems to me that the folks who are frustrated with this season's results just won't accept that this team wasn't as good as they thought. This is a 7-5 team, and that's OK. We are trending up, and 10 win seasons come from programs that consistently win 7-8 games. In hindsight, that 10 win season just wasn't going to be this year, no matter how much you wished it to be.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The problem is so many of you saying the whole, "We remember when we were crap blah, blah, blah" are not understanding what those that are frustrated with this season are saying. WE KNOW THIS IS STILL BETTER THAN WE HAVE EVER HAD IT. That doesn't take away from having higher expectations and then having a real opportunity there for a 9 or 10 win season but just not getting the job done. You can have both. In life there are opportunities, and when you have a great opportunity, you need to cash in on them because you really don't know when it will happen again. To reverse your point on you about our history, our history says we don't get many of these opportunities, and when we have (old Big 12 North) we didn't cash in. We thought under Mac and Rhoads we had something going, but it never came to fruition. Now, I truly think Campbell and his staff are different and this will be much more sustainable, but that isn't a guarantee at all. This year the conference wasn't Big 12 North bad, but anyone who thinks it was anything other than average is kidding themselves. The conference this year was mediocre at best.

IMO the improvement curve was trending way too steep and this season had "let down" written all over it. I was all in on 10-2 but CW walked me back a little before the season started after I listened to him on KXNO. For CMC to take the next step forward, we need to start the season stronger and play better football in November. We've limped to the finish line 2 years in a row and I do find that somewhat concerning.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

How dare you attack the offensive line like that. Cat is obviously Not a true fan everyone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I’m
It seems to me that the folks who are frustrated with this season's results just won't accept that this team wasn't as good as they thought. This is a 7-5 team, and that's OK. We are trending up, and 10 win seasons come from programs that consistently win 7-8 games. In hindsight, that 10 win season just wasn't going to be this year, no matter how much you wished it to be.

it’s the same **** they used to do when we were bad. They’d group think jerk themselves off to thinking that we would shock the world. And talk mad **** to their hawk fan buddies.

then when things didn’t end up like they bullshitted themselves into believing would happen, they act like the asses we see people doing on here after games.

• Funny
Reactions: Lineup

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
This is making excuses for mediocrity and I'm not a fan of that at all. With as many returning starters that this team had, the concern was NEVER the defense and was ALWAYS about replacing Montgomery and Butler and the offensive line. Yet here we are, for the 2nd year in a row our team is physically dominated by KSU in the trenches at the end of the season. Let's not even get into all the records the offense broke this season along the way. The loses to Iowa, Baylor and Oklahoma are games that should have not been losses. To say this team just "wasn't as good as folks thought" is lazy and an insult TBH.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Going into the season with as high of expectations as we had I was afraid of not meeting expectations and being extremely disappointed. It is encouraging that we were in every game but at the same time losing 4 games by 11 points (prior to KSU) actually hurts more than it feels good. You start thinking about what could have been. The KSU game was the only one I felt like we didn't have a chance to win towards the end of the game. I hate to feel good about 7-5 because of what could have been but it is much better than the 80's-90's where we would be out of games by half. Games were a lot of fun this year and it is clear that we are a much better team overall. I am afraid of what will come next year with the graduating of lots of O and D linemen but am encouraged by guys like Peterson, McDonald, Newell, Downing etc and having Bailey for a red shirt senior season. D backs will be another year older so there is hope for the future which makes it fun as a fan. Hopefully whatever bowl we end up in our team is really pumped to go out on a win.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
This is making excuses for mediocrity and I'm not a fan of that at all. With as many returning starters that this team had, the concern was NEVER the defense and was ALWAYS about replacing Montgomery and Butler and the offensive line. Yet here we are, for the 2nd year in a row our team is physically dominated by KSU in the trenches at the end of the season. Let's not even get into all the records the offense broke this season along the way. The loses to Iowa, Baylor and Oklahoma are games that should have not been losses. To say this team just "wasn't as good as folks thought" is lazy and an insult TBH.

Whew. I was afraid the good fans that refuse to accept mediocrity wouldn’t show up.

imagine the level of thinking is requires to be a cubs and Iowa state fan and writing that pile of ****?

Reactions: Doc

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Not as much as your photography business hurt when you linked it to your original account, ISUFan22!!

that’s awesome. You’re topping yourself. Didn’t think it was possible, yet somehow knew you could do it.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
And what are you and the realists expecting us to do about the season in the past? Do you want staff changes? I sure as hell don't. I think stability is the best for sustainability and future success. Most of us want to put bad things behind us, and the fact that most in this thread are explaining that without taking others down is nice to see in today's age.

I haven't seen one person happy where we are, but to think this staff is happy with it and content with being 7-5 is delusional. They have earned the right to tweak and #ProveIt next year.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY