Re-al Mitchell Packages

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
Not one person is saying he is better then Purdy and needs to be the starter. What they are saying is with his skill, he needs to see the field some how some way.

again, they cant MAKE him go in at WR or RB or wildcat.

they want him to switch positions. they know hes not a qb.... you think its a coincidence that right after he enrolled at isu Jan 2018 they went out and landed Purdy? The kid does not want to move positions, he believes hes a qb and maybe he is but i doubt we'll find that out at ISU

• Informative
Reactions: JBone84

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
also too scared to run purdy
i get it, fearful of him getting hurt
but fear doesnt bode well for 10 win seasons

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
ISU fans remain undefeated in their love of backup quarterbacks

Brock Purdy is 4th in the nation in passing yard and has broken nearly every single season school record but theres still dipsh¡ts on here "hmmm i wonder what the backup who's thrown 2 total passes could do???"

guess what? if he was that good, he'd be playing. he's not. Staff cant force him to go in at WR or RB or Wildcat or whatver if he doesnt want to

This is over-exaggerated and inaccurate take from what's being said here.

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
This is over-exaggerated and inaccurate take from what's being said here.

EKtyQi8WwAA-Ads
EKtyQi8XsAArqtt

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
While I was drowning last night's loss with bourbon, I was wondering if, given the weather, we should have used Re-al to give Kstate a dose of its own medicine.

I wish we could do this, but the fact is we can't.

I'd love nothing more than to put in Re Al and run the option like 18 plays in a row against KSU and just run it down their throats like they did to us last night, but the fact is, our OL isn't good enough, and overall we're just not tough enough to do that to anyone.

Jared mentioned this in his podcast after the game last night. We were out-toughed all night on both sides of the ball.... and outcoached too.

But I get what you're saying. If we refuse to let Brock run, then we might as well take all the RPO's, the play action, etc out of the playbook because no defense is going to respect it when they know Brock won't run it.

I'd absolutely LOVE to bring in Re Al and just play smash mouth football like KSU does, but we don't have the OL or the toughness to do that unfortunately.

Football always has been won and lost on being able to run the ball, and stop the run. Last night we couldn't do either. And especially with 40 mph winds, that's not a good recipe for success.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
After watching the lack of creativity on offense the first half of the season, I gave up on them doing anything cool with Mitchell. Doesn't seem in the cards for this staff right now.

I thought it was a big wasted opportunity, where they could have used him for few options runs to setup the opposing defense, then when we needed a boost have him keep it and try a pass. The film tape would have them thinking 75% chance he runs, maybe catch em off guard.

It is possible the unreliability of the Oline kept them from doing much in the way of trickery / creative plays this year. But i don't like that excuse. Right now we aren't good enough to win straight up. Some trick / creative stuff is often how lesser teams find ways to win.
Disappointing for sure.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
"We should never be happy with a 7-5 record"

Um, have you seen Iowa State's history in football? Like it or not, 7-5 is one of the best seasons in school history. Yes it sucks we lost 4 games by 1 score but it just as easily could've been an L against UNI and an L against Texas.

I'll go ahead and take the coaching staff's opinion on who should get playing time.

I'll also go ahead and venture a guess Re-al is done in Ames and wish him well in his future if that's the case. He competed for the job and just got beat out by a guy who will keep him off the field for awhile. If he thinks he's a QB and someone will give him that opportunity more power to him.

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
Some trick / creative stuff is often how lesser teams find ways to win.

I don't agree with this and I don't think Bill Belichick or Lincoln Riley would either but I can understand how this could be perceived to be the case.

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't agree with this and I don't think Bill Belichick or Lincoln Riley would either but I can understand how this could be perceived to be the case.

If we had the players from the Patriots and OK, I don't think we would need any trick plays either. But we don't. We have to find ways to win. You can win in the margins by playing mistake free ball and being sound in every facet of the game, but we are not that either. So minus that, I think being creative and unpredictable on offense would be good. Just my opinion.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
again, they cant MAKE him go in at WR or RB or wildcat.

they want him to switch positions. they know hes not a qb.... you think its a coincidence that right after he enrolled at isu Jan 2018 they went out and landed Purdy? The kid does not want to move positions, he believes hes a qb and maybe he is but i doubt we'll find that out at ISU
This is unrelated but you generally seem to be "in the know". At one point during the year Jay Jordan suggested in a tweet (I think during or after the Okie St. game) that Purdy has been banged up. Any truth to the notion that Purdy has been playing at less than 100%?

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames

Well Belichick or McDaniels had Edelmen throw a touchdown pass a couple games ago. We need to do something because we've regressed the last few games and it's just not Purdy. Mitchell is strong and fast in my view and surely there is a few plays out there for him. It's a head scratcher for sure.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
If Mitchell won’t change positions for the benefit of the team (ala Laning), then let him transfer. Don’t need a player who puts his needs ahead of the team. Heck, even Rose moved to outside linebacker to allow Vance to get on the field.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Do you guys think he has his heart set on being a qb? He could step in for Jones next year. Just curious what anyone thinks. Otherwise, if he were to transfer, now would be the time but would he lose a year of eligibility since he already red shirted?

Imagine that package that Jones ran against Iowa with the option to run or throw deep down the sidelines. No reason we couldn't run that 3-4 times a game!

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Re-al was an elite 11 finalist and top 25 dual threat QB coming out of high school. I'm guessing he is tired of getting beat out by elite talent (Josh Rosen, DJ Uiagalalie and Purdy). Can't blame him if he wants to finally go somewhere where he can prove or disprove his ability. His junior year of HS was his only chance to do that and he was outstanding.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
This is unrelated but you generally seem to be "in the know". At one point during the year Jay Jordan suggested in a tweet (I think during or after the Okie St. game) that Purdy has been banged up. Any truth to the notion that Purdy has been playing at less than 100%?
Purdy sure seemed a little slower this year but that has happened to other ISU quarterbacks after they get banged up.

• Agree
Reactions: bthebutcher

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
When we were down by 7 with 5+ minutes left in the game and Purdy intentionally slid 5 yards short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down, I just shook my head. Are they trying to make sure he'll remain healthy for the trip to Memphis? If there's ever a time when you throw caution to the wind and try everything in your power to get the first down, that was it.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
When we were down by 7 with 5+ minutes left in the game and Purdy intentionally slid 5 yards short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down, I just shook my head. Are they trying to make sure he'll remain healthy for the trip to Memphis? If there's ever a time when you throw caution to the wind and try everything in your power to get the first down, that was it.
Last year he would have used his pump fake and got at least the first down