Special Teams...

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Call it recency bias, maybe players are hurt, I don't know the answer... but this defense is not good. I don't care they can stuff runs on 1st down if they're gonna get gashed on 3rd down anyway. A Kansas state RB went untouched for 15 yards into the end zone 2x last night and pooka Williams averaged like 8 yards a carry last week. Defense may have been decent up till November, but it has fallen off tremendously and I don't know how anyone could deny that.
We're playing huge cushions. I've been screaming about it all year. My guess is the young corners can't bump and run yet. Run a cover two with bump and run like a real defense does. Of course you need the pieces to execute and Peavy and Payne were huge losses.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
With Campbell, it’s going to always be 7-5 or 8-4 with maybe the occasional 9-3. Really hard for me to complain about that. I don’t want to go back to 3-9 all the time.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
a sieve?
ISU is FIRST in rush defense in the big 12 (also first in rush td allowed)
ISU is 3rd in scoring defense in the big 12

give me those stats with or without a 3 man front for the rest of my life. this, with recruiting classes ranked no better than 6th in the big 12. I'll let the coaches coach.
https://static.big12sports.com/custompages/pdfs/football/2019OverallStats.pdf

And that team first in rush defense just got the ball ran down their throats over and over and over last night. When it has mattered, the defense has withered

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Call it recency bias, maybe players are hurt, I don't know the answer... but this defense is not good. I don't care they can stuff runs on 1st down if they're gonna get gashed on 3rd down anyway. A Kansas state RB went untouched for 15 yards into the end zone 2x last night and pooka Williams averaged like 8 yards a carry last week. Defense may have been decent up till November, but it has fallen off tremendously and I don't know how anyone could deny that.

The defense gave up 20 points to K-State and got two turnovers. That SHOULD be enough to win in the Big 12. Last night was on the offense and special teams.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Didn't Campbell do away with a specific special teams coach this year, and went with a committee approach?

I can definitely see that changing back before next year.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
The defense gave up 20 points to K-State and got two turnovers. That SHOULD be enough to win in the Big 12. Last night was on the offense and special teams.
In ideal conditions, absolutely. However, 20 points last night was like 30 in normal conditions.

Plus it's the way the defense gave them up. It was no surprise what Kst was going to do. Even in good conditions, Iowa St had to know they were going to pound the football, that's who they are. The conditions made it even more obvious.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The Big 12 hasn't been the track meets that everyone thinks it is, and the D has given up scoring drives on the back of ISU scoring all season.

The team pursuit of KSU vs. ISU last night was alarming.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
The Big 12 hasn't been the track meets that everyone thinks it is, and the D has given up scoring drives on the back of ISU scoring all season.

Maybe 30 passing attempts was not the best way to try and win the game in very windy conditions?

upload_2019-12-1_12-47-21.png

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
In ideal conditions, absolutely. However, 20 points last night was like 30 in normal conditions.

Plus it's the way the defense gave them up. It was no surprise what Kst was going to do. Even in good conditions, Iowa St had to know they were going to pound the football, that's who they are. The conditions made it even more obvious.

ISU probably should not have tried to air it out 30 times last night...

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Considering the way they were all over the running game made it actually necessary.

Probably not good the staff can't run on teams with a senior laden OL, best QB is ISU history and one of the best RBs recruited to ISU.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

What? The data doesn’t back that up at all.

West Virginia averaged 20 ppg, KU 23ppg, and everyone else was above 30 ppg.

Kstate averages almost 31 ppg. We held them to 27 with one of those on a fluke kickoff return.

Our defense is far from perfect but they are hardly the problem here.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Probably not good the staff can't run on teams with a senior laden OL, best QB is ISU history and one of the best RBs recruited to ISU.

Nope. Sure isn't.

I think the drops hurt...made the passing game even less of a threat and KSU sold out.

Purdy looked like he did vs. OSU which is uncomfortable.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What? The data doesn’t back that up at all.

West Virginia averaged 20 ppg, KU 23ppg, and everyone else was above 30 ppg.

Kstate averages almost 31 ppg. We held them to 27 with one of those on a fluke kickoff return.

Our defense is far from perfect but they are hardly the problem here.

Did the defense give up big plays and long drives at times that a stop was needed throughout the season?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Let's make one thing abundantly clear. We were beaten last night in large part due to the weather and attitude. Believe it or not, the guys on our team are people too and just like the fans that choose to skip games when its brutally cold, sometimes football players don't play their best when its cold, and windy, and at night against a team that was obviously more inspired to play than we were.

That doesn't mean our guys are soft. That doesn't mean our coaches suck. That's just the reality of the situation. It's a reason why we can beat Texas at home in November. It's a reason why Drake can nearly beat us. Weather is the great neutralizer and when one team handles it a lot better than the other, nothing will go right. That was clear from the opening kickoff last night.

Just move on from it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron