OL going forward

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Let's face it, the OL needs to be improved next year, or we'll be looking at 6 or 7 wins again.

So can it be improved after losing 4 starters next year? I do think there's hope that it can be, but I wonder if CMC is considering adding a JUCO or a transfer? Thoughts?

You have to figure the starters (and a few backups) will look something like this....

T- Ramos/Foster
G- Hudson
C- Newell/Schweiger
G- Downing
T- Treiber/Foster

..... and then others in the mix will be... Hufford, Remsburg, Kleinow, Ross, Simmons... with true freshman coming in... Tyler Miller, Pauls, Petersen, and Rengert.

I just think looking at the youth and inexperience of that starting 5 that CMC might be thinking of adding a more experienced JUCO or transfer into the mix?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
At the beginning of the season, I had a slight worry that their experience was not going to overcome their lack of ability.
It's the old adage of returning starters from a struggling position isn't always a good thing. The Oline wasn't good last year, with mostly the same personnel.

At this point, I'll welcome some new guys in there, and we'll just have to hope they are more talented than those graduating. Campbell has improved basically every other position, so hopefully the oline is next up with an upgrade.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
ISU should always be looking at JC or transfers for the D-line, and O-line. Take one or two per year, kids that are ready to come in and play immediately. Lots of programs are doing it, we need to continue to use both as a way to bring in more talent to the team.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
What happened to Foster? There was talk he was good enough as a true freshman to burn his redshirt now here he is a 4th year jr and he doesn’t see the field. Injuries or just didn’t develop?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What happened to Foster? There was talk he was good enough as a true freshman to burn his redshirt now here he is a 4th year jr and he doesn’t see the field. Injuries or just didn’t develop?

He's just never had "it", whatever "it" is? I don't know if his feet are too slow, or if he lacks toughness, or what the issue is?

Iowa backed off of him for a reason, just like they backed off of Meeker too. Sometimes guys have flaws, but you take them and hope to develop them, but it doesn't always work. Iowa can be a lot more picky when it comes to recruiting OL.

• Agree
Reactions: s_ford

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Going strictly by whats been said on this board, it sounds like he lacks athleticism and struggles with technique. He was an odd recruit, an OL that's an Iowa legacy with no Hawk offer. On paper, he was a highly regarded recruit but he had questions marks, the staff took a chance but it seems like the question marks were justified.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
On paper, the ISU offensive line coach is a kid with basically graduate level coaching experience that got thrown into the fire to build a P5 offensive line. That was a pretty risky gamble...sometimes those gambles work, sometimes they don't. It seemed after last season that the gamble wasn't working out so well. I think it would be wise to shell out some money for a more experienced offensive line coach. There are technique issues and discipline issues that are going uncorrected. Jay Jordan has written about it multiple times.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
On paper, the ISU offensive line coach is a kid with basically graduate level coaching experience that got thrown into the fire to build a P5 offensive line. That was a pretty risky gamble...sometimes those gambles work, sometimes they don't. It seemed after last season that the gamble wasn't working out so well. I think it would be wise to shell out some money for a more experienced offensive line coach. There are technique issues and discipline issues that are going uncorrected. Jay Jordan has written about it multiple times.

Put Manning back on OL, and get a decent OC.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Looking at the roster, there is a dearth of Junior and Redshirt Jr OL. Lots of Freshmen, Redshirt Freshmen and Sophomores. Missing a recruiting class in there somewhere.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Not as many lineman transfer. Just a gut feeling from observation. Maybe someone has stats to show otherwise?

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
He's just never had "it", whatever "it" is? I don't know if his feet are too slow, or if he lacks toughness, or what the issue is?

Iowa backed off of him for a reason, just like they backed off of Meeker too. Sometimes guys have flaws, but you take them and hope to develop them, but it doesn't always work. Iowa can be a lot more picky when it comes to recruiting OL.
Iowa didn't offer Foster because of his poor footwork.

• Informative
Reactions: s_ford

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Staff will be looking for a grad transfer OT or a JUCO. Not saying it will happen but there is an OT from Ohio who went to Iowa Central following his RS year at Western Illinois. From there, he went to Arkansas where he was the starting OT this past season. If he gets his degree this December, may be in play

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not sure how good some of the guys in the program are, but their ranking have been better in general. If Campbell doesn't go after a transfer, then I would assume he is happy with the guys in the program.
ISU needs to do something about the rediculous number of false starts going forward. Maybe they need to have quick snap counts. I don't know, but it has been a glaring issue for the last two years, and has probably cost the team 3 or 4 wins, including last year's bowl game.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Let's face it, the OL needs to be improved next year, or we'll be looking at 6 or 7 wins again.

So can it be improved after losing 4 starters next year? I do think there's hope that it can be, but I wonder if CMC is considering adding a JUCO or a transfer? Thoughts?

You have to figure the starters (and a few backups) will look something like this....

T- Ramos/Foster
G- Hudson
C- Newell/Schweiger
G- Downing
T- Treiber/Foster

..... and then others in the mix will be... Hufford, Remsburg, Kleinow, Ross, Simmons... with true freshman coming in... Tyler Miller, Pauls, Petersen, and Rengert.

I just think looking at the youth and inexperience of that starting 5 that CMC might be thinking of adding a more experienced JUCO or transfer into the mix?

Kleinow is switching to DL