Question about clock rules after delay of game penalty

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
So towards the end of the game, KSU took a delay of game penalty (and then it seemed like another 4/5 seconds went off the game clock after the play clock went to 0).

Then after the delay of game penalty was enforced, the clock operator started the clock again. Was this incorrect? Couldn't K-State theoretically just continue to take delay of game penalties until the clock runs out if it starts running again after the penalty?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I think this was like with 3 minutes left in the second half.

ThePollinator

Nov 29, 2009
Ames
I noticed the clock running when they kicked their fg no idea, why wouldn’t make sense that it was... not that it mattered

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Yeah don't think it probably mattered in the grand scheme of things, but it did cost us like 40+ seconds at the end of the game.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
If it is correct for the clock to run after the penalty, then I don't understand why after you score one touchdown, you just take a delay of game for the rest of the game.

• Agree
Reactions: ThePollinator

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
If it is correct for the clock to run after the penalty, then I don't understand why after you score one touchdown, you just take a delay of game for the rest of the game.

I've wondered about this before. There has to be some kind of rule that would prevent a team from doing just what you said. However, don't know what that rule would be.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I found the rulebook:

Unfair Clock Tactics

ARTICLE 3. The referee has broad authority in the timing of the game. He shall order the game clock or play clock started or stopped whenever either team conserves or consumes playing time by tactics obviously unfair. This includes starting the game clock on the snap if the foul is by the team ahead in the score. If the game clock is stopped to complete a penalty for a foul by the team ahead

FR-56 RulE 3 / PERiods, timE FaCtoRs and substitutions

in the score (or either team if the score is tied) inside the last two minutes of a half, it will start on the snap, at the option of the offended team. The game clock will start on the ready-for-play signal after Team A throws an illegal forward or backward pass to conserve time (Rule 3-3-2-e-14) (A.R. 3-4-3-I-V).

• Informative
Reactions: ISUAlum2002

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I thought it was weird that the clock continued to roll at the end of the game even when we ran out of bounds to stop the clock. :confused:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I thought it was weird that the clock continued to roll at the end of the game even when we ran out of bounds to stop the clock. :confused:

That happened at end of third too. Purdue ran out of bounds on third down, setting up a punt. But clock was restarted and ISU ran off time then punted with wind in fourth. Is it maybe something at discretion of team with ball? But that seems odd, because then if KSU wanted to force punt against wind, it has to burn timeout... which seems unfair advantage to offense.

I'm sure I don't know the rule at all just wondering. Explanation appreciated.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That happened at end of third too. Purdue ran out of bounds on third down, setting up a punt. But clock was restarted and ISU ran off time then punted with wind in fourth. Is it maybe something at discretion of team with ball? But that seems odd, because then if KSU wanted to force punt against wind, it has to burn timeout... which seems unfair advantage to offense.

I'm sure I don't know the rule at all just wondering. Explanation appreciated.

The clock is restarted after OB plays unless there's <2:00 left in the half when the previous play ends.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
For delay of game penalties the ref has broad discretion to start on the ready for play or snap, based on if he thinks the penalty was intentional.