3 point shooting vs Michigan

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Like the ways our guys competed today. Will be interesting if the poor shooting continues how the guys will keep their spirits up, stick together, & not let it affect the rest of their game. Prohm really has a very challenging & tough job....lost so much scoring & shot makers from last year. We have Halliburton & Solo...after that, a team full of average Div 1 scorers and/or role players. My vote for COY if he gets this team to the NCAA tournament! Go Cyclones!

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
This would be a radical change for Prohm and the program generally. However, it might be the most promising idea that I have heard, even if it has its risks.

We have nine guys and, with the exception of Haliburton, none of them has distinguished themselves as obviously more talented than the others. We have plenty of fouls to give and the talent on the roster is flat enough you do not have a compelling reason to need to play certain guys 30+ MPG save for TH. Speaking of Haliburton, he is devastating on the break finishing for himself or creating shots in the chaos for others.

Why not just go that style...? We have talent, but as others have said, the pieces do not really fit together in the half-court. Why try to win a skill game when we do not have the skill of years past when we could just try to win a full-court track meet?
This is what I was suggesting. However, I'd give our guys a couple more games to see if they can snap out of the shooting funk. If they can't, I'd shift to this type of approach and try to run the opponent out of the gym each night. We have the bodies and the athleticism to do it.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Prohm isn't going to give Jackson and Grill tons of minutes, they are behind Bolton and Nixon. And he is going to stick with his seniors (Solo and MJ) and play big - and slow. Today, that more or less played right into Michigan's strengths.

Personally, I think I would play the kids more and go small ball, I mean why not give it a try?

A couple of things I don't agree with. The big guys aren't the problem. Although MJ hasn't shot like last year yet, I'm not worried about him and Solo has been solid. I don't understand how playing them (and GC) played into UM stengths.

And going small would include Bolton and Nixon, who's defense would be even more necessary.

I like Grill and Jackson, but I'm not ready to move either ahead of Bolton or Nixon. They'll get minutes as they earn them. In practice and in games.

• Informative
Reactions: aklineisu

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I think you need to pump the breaks a bit. We just lost in a tight game to Michigan who shot very well and we had a chance to change the outcome of the game if you make your FT's down the stretch and get a call here or there. The shooting may come, it might not, but the thing that this team doesn't lack is competitiveness and toughness. We could've rolled over and lost this game but we kept fighting and made it a game at the end. Some of these will start to go our way but none of us should throw this season away already. We've lost by a combined 13 points to two NCAA tournament teams. We have plenty of opportunities ahead of us to figure things out, starting tomorrow and Friday.

imagine hoping your supposed team loses so you can complain about the coach.

there’s a lot of season left. Who knows if they can figure out how to think their way through games? But they try hard, and that is where everything starts.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I just don’t understand why some players are allowed to play through defensive mistakes but others aren’t. We are so bad offensively that I think Tre needs to be given a real chance to stay on the floor. We only have 1 guard right now that has proven he should play over 25 minutes per game. There’s going to be a game where Tre hits 3-4 big threes for us if you play him. Can’t expect him to do anything positive in 7 minutes. I just don’t see him as our 9th man like he’s been the last 3 games.

so how many practices have you been to?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
A couple of things I don't agree with. The big guys aren't the problem. Although MJ hasn't shot like last year yet, I'm not worried about him and Solo has been solid. I don't understand how playing them (and GC) played into UM stengths.

And going small would include Bolton and Nixon, who's defense would be even more necessary.

I like Grill and Jackson, but I'm not ready to move either ahead of Bolton or Nixon. They'll get minutes as they earn them. In practice and in games.

Yeah, they kinda are.

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
The shooting awful isn't just this game. It is now 33-124, which is 26.6%. Take out the first game, and it becomes 20-89, which is 22.5%.

Overall we are ranked 317/353. Exclude the first game, we'd be 348/353.

The 3pt shooting concerns are not a knee jerk reaction. At some point the law of averages should kick in and correct this, which means we're either in for some good games, or that law already has kicked in...
If you take out ISU first game you should take out everyone's best game also.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I haven't seen any national stats on how moving back line has impacted 3 point shooting % this season.

Not sure we have enough shooters to make a big percent. Defenses can focus on Halliburton and Nixon- I don't see another guy ready to be a volume 3 point shooter.

What concerns me is we aren't getting many good looks from 3 out of our half court offense even against man defense. My guess is we are also going to see a lot of zone defense.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
When we’re continually shooting 3-20 from 3 against the likes of NIU and Southern Miss, I didn’t expect it to improve playing teams like Michigan. It’s going to be a serious problem this year.

YA THINK.....................

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Obviously we are not shooting very well, and again I don't think we'll be as good of a 3 point shooting team as last year's, but through our first 4 games last season which included the game against Arizona, we were shooting 29% from the 3. Take out our best game from that first 4 games and we would've been at 26%. We shot 16.7% against Arizona last season.

The point is that we have not shot well, but that can change. Lets wait a little bit. No one, including Halliburton, has shot the ball even remotely well. Guys like Grill and Jackson will see more minutes and could help raise that percentage too.

The knee jerk reaction was in part to saying Nixon and Bolton need to be near 40% for us to be near the bubble. I mean, all they had to do was be near 30% in this game and we would've won and no one would be on here complaining.

Actually CSP said we need to shoot 38% "To have a Good Offense"......

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Get ready for a 2017-18 type of year
On one hand, that team was better defense and depth away from being a bubble team. On the other hand, that team had three starting guards that could shoot 3Ps to play alongside the two posts.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Prohm isn't going to give Jackson and Grill tons of minutes, they are behind Bolton and Nixon. And he is going to stick with his seniors (Solo and MJ) and play big - and slow. Today, that more or less played right into Michigan's strengths.

Personally, I think I would play the kids more and go small ball, I mean why not give it a try? Unless Bolton and Nixon suddenly start shooting somewhere near 40% from deep, this team is nowhere near the bubble.

I only got to see the last 13 minutes or so of yesterday's game, and I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Prohm played 4 guards the entire time (or at least most of) I was watching. Grill played 22 minutes and Jackson played 6. And I find it tough to say that a team that played tough against a very good Michigan team is nowhere near the bubble. That game actually moved us up 8 spots in Kenpom to 40.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I won't pretend to know as much as Prohm, but I'll go ahead and give my own opinion.

You can either let the opponent dictate the way the game will be played, or you can dictate it yourself. If we don't come out of our shooting funk in the very near future, then I would change our approach radically.

Instead of allowing opponents to sag in and force us to beat them from the perimeter (i.e., our weakness), I would dictate the way the game will be played by ramping up our defensive pressure significantly to fully leverage our depth and athleticism. In other words, change our approach to match our strengths.

We're 5 or 6 deep in the backcourt at least 3 deep in the front court, so we could shuttle players in and out to deny passing lanes and pressure the ball big time throughout the game. It would take opponents out of their comfort zone and, hopefully, lead to increased opportunities for easy transition baskets.

I guess if we're going to get beat, I'd rather get beat on our own terms.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Last year we had 5 really good sized guards that could shoot, dribble, and defend. This year, we’ve got 1.5. I’ll be shocked if we’re an NCAA team.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Last year we had 5 really good sized guards that could shoot, dribble, and defend. This year, we’ve got 1.5. I’ll be shocked if we’re an NCAA team.
Last year after the loss to Arizona....4th game of the year....we were 29-98 behind the line. This year after the loss to Michigan....5th game of the year....we are 33-124. So we were averaging just about 7 makes a game last year to 6 at about the same time this year. Everything else being the way it is........I won't be shocked.

isualums

Jan 9, 2018
I am tired about hearing about 3's. So far this year we have played our best on offense when we play through our posts from the block (play inside out). We need to have our big guys pick across and post up on the block so the guards can feed them the ball. It is when we did against OSU and southern miss that we did our best. Young mj and conduit had no problem scoring yesterday. Why cant prohm emphasize this throughout the game and not wait until we are struggling with 3's and behind. There were numerous times yesterday that the wing looked at condit on the post and he was not even posting up. Our guards and posts are better than Iowa's yet iowa consistently gets the ball in to Garza on the bloc and he easily scores.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron