*** Official Michigan VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Got beat by a team that executed better and knew what they were trying to do. We looked lost and don't have an identity. TO them over 22 times but still lost by 7. Not good.

The sooner this team realizes what it needs to do on defense and offense the better. They are going to have to grind it out on offense and not take stupid shots.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
you are like a rat.
Bolton,Halliburton,solo at the 4, conditt, and grill, that’s what the lineup will eventually be, Jacobson back up big cause he doesn’t offer anything at the 4, Zion back up at the 4. The hockey line changes are horrible.

• Disagree
Reactions: NENick

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Disappointing loss but not the end of the world to lose to good Michigan team who was favored by 4 entering the game.

I do think this team is getting better. It is early and the roster rotations are still getting worked out. Seeing Grill first of the bench and playing as the 6th man was surprising but quite promising. Caleb and Tre will need gain abit of confidence and be willing to shoot the 3's as the season progresses. Both were floating a bit to day, but that'll improve with each game.
I know many are upset with the poor 3 pt shooting and it is going to be an ongoing theme this year. We need to shoot them those and work through it. You can't make them if you don't shoot after all. They did start to fall better in the second half. I suspect part of the issue is many of our 3's coming as bail outs when the offense bogs down.
The offense improved once Bolton, Nixon and Hali went aggressively into the paint. I think that will be a bigger aspect of the offense in the future. . If they can draw the D either to finish or kick to 3 the offense will be better. Both Tre and Grill will need to shoot the 3 confidently for that to work.

The D will need to improve, my hope the last 6 minutes of aggressive man to man will show the players what they are capable of and they commit that type of team D moving forward.

I think I see growth and some signs the team is talented enough for the tourney. I am very interested to see more tomorrow and see the coaching adjustments Prohm will have.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
jZg85z.gif
200.webp

• Funny
Reactions: ca4cy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I couldn’t listen but Nixon’s shooting kept us in it early in the 2nd half. And his defense is key.

If he is out there playing defense and moving the ball, I don't have a problem.

But he was 6/15 from the field, 2/8 from three, and 0/2 from the line.

If your highest-usage guy is that inefficient, you are not winning many games.

Replacing Shayok with a guy who makes about half as many of his shots... not good.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Not a bad showing considering we got nothing from Bolton, MJ or anyone off the bench. I think this team will be competitive every night but with only one scorer you can rely on, it's going to be tough to finish games. Tyrese will have to score 25 a night for this team to sniff the tourney.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Every possession needs to include Haliburton or Bolton attacking the lane. That's the only way this crew of bricklayers is going to be effective on offense.

This team plays their ass off, but they can't shoot at all.

No doubt. Love the effort they are playing with.

As to your point, if we're going to keep the two-man game / pick and roll / pick and pop offense (which has been a Prohm staple so there's little to suggest he will change), then when Halliburton or others are doing the hard work and trying to drive, the other players need to be reading their man and 1.) be ready to back cut if their defender turns his head, or 2.) move and relocate to another spot to shoot a three (not showing good three point shooting so far though), or 3.) set picks for each other off the ball.

In general, if we're going to continue to play a free-flowing offense that relies on guys making individual plays and reading and reacting to the defense during the play, which has been a staple of Prohm, then they need to move better. I've only watched 1.5 games with this team yet, but too many guys are standing when someone like Halliburton is driving. Halliburton has great vision, he'll find you, you just need to cut. I saw several possessions where Halliburton was driving to the cup and nobody else was moving, even when the other player's man turned his head! That would drive you crazy as a coach.

I'm glad to see them play hard. I will give Prohm credit. He recognized a little bit how poor our half court offense was going and ran a couple plays out of timeouts. Some resulted in buckets, some didn't, but each got us good shots. Glad to see that. Michigan is a good team. Don't throw in the towel so early in the season yet people. Lots to come still and we've got some talent. Sure, it's not the talent we've seen in other years, but we've got enough talent to do some damage if they pull it together.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
A note on the shooting: I don't expect us to be a good shooting team this year, but I still don't see how it doesn't get somewhat better. Bolton is shooting 11% from three so far this season, last season he shot 36% from three. I think Nixon is the worst shooter of the guards, but even he shot 33% from three in his last year at CSU and is shooting 22% from range right now. I know it's tough to tell a team that has shot this bad to keep shooting when they're open, but I kind of feel like you have to.

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
Got beat by a team that executed better and knew what they were trying to do. We looked lost and don't have an identity. TO them over 22 times but still lost by 7. Not good.

The sooner this team realizes what it needs to do on defense and offense the better. They are going to have to grind it out on offense and not take stupid shots.
I wouldn’t say lost... you don’t score 76 points lost. I do agree on the identity. If we aren’t going to shoot better then we have to be a tough team that goes to the rack at will. Need Bolton to step up and get hot to help our shooting

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Prohm has obviously given Nixon the green light but for the life of me I can't understand why.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If he is out there playing defense and moving the ball, I don't have a problem.

But he was 6/15 from the field, 2/8 from three, and 0/2 from the line.

If your highest-usage guy is that inefficient, you are not winning many games.

Replacing Shayok with a guy who makes about half as many of his shots... not good.

obviously. We thought we’d have Horton tucker out there.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I've posted several negative things, there was some positive points. Some of it too sporadic or inconsistent.

Really need to use that full-court/half-court pressure more frequently, especially when offense gets stagnant. Never seem to use it until it's a "must" situation.

Agree, we are going to need to win that t.o. battle to offset our challenges with shooting

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Who’s rooting for the opposing team in this thread? Lol

You got some serious issues dude

If we would have won this game you wouldn’t be posting in the game thread 30 minutes after the game ended I can guarantee that and wish you would just own it.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
A note on the shooting: I don't expect us to be a good shooting team this year, but I still don't see how it doesn't get somewhat better. Bolton is shooting 11% from three so far this season, last season he shot 36% from three. I think Nixon is the worst shooter of the guards, but even he shot 33% from three in his last year at CSU and is shooting 22% from range right now. I know it's tough to tell a team that has shot this bad to keep shooting when they're open, but I kind of feel like you have to.

well there’s no choice. Everybody ******** about Nixon seems to gloss over the fact that tyrese shot like **** as well.

I think it’s a bad shooting team but they have to keep at it. I did like them getting it inside early.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The lack of 3 point shooting is plainly evident at this point. If this team is going to be any good and make it to the tournament, then they need to be a nearly dominant defensive team. Michigan had a lot of turnovers, but still way too many open looks.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I couldn’t listen but Nixon’s shooting kept us in it early in the 2nd half. And his defense is key.

Hit some big shots, but he was 6-15 from the floor and 0-2 from the line. I'm fine with him playing because he has been a very good defender, but Nixon being a high volume guy is going to result in losses.

• Agree
Reactions: Malone

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
-- Not a great game by Conditt, but he is still one of our five best players.

-- Grill needs to play more/start over Nixon.

Agree with everything here, especially these two. Prohm needs to throw Grill in there now before he realizes he waited too long. Yes, he'll take some lumps but take those lumps now rather than in conference play.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron