*** Official Michigan VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Well, if what the announcers say is true, and Michigan is the best team in the Big10, then maybe ISU can eek into the tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
giphy.gif

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
serious question - do you guys think we make the NCAA Tournament this year?

Right now I’m not confident we do.
Like I said a little bit ago, probably need 3 of the Iowa, Seton Hall, and the last 2 B4A games. Otherwise gonna be hard to make it in with 9 conference losses and 4 non-con losses.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

I don't think we will just don't think we have enough offense (shooting) this year to do so. We will have some games where the offense looks good but just think we will be far too inconsistent in that area.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
There are lots of obvious story lines. My few notes:

* Haliburton is friggin good.

* Prohm has a lot of confidence in Grill. I'd like to see him start to look for his shots because he's going to get PT, it seems. His stroke looks good.

* I thought Conditt would be a bigger factor today.

* In a team lacking in outside shooting, how bad must Prohm rate T-lew's floor game?

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Honestly, that's what's concerning me most with Nixon and Bolton so far. When they drive they put their head down. I've seen a couple kick out opportunities for open threes. Drive and kick, but those guys both seem to put their heads down. Well, could be a tough year.

Agree. The commentators are saying ISU didn't crash the boards on that play. True, but they were standing wide open at the arc waiting for the kick-out. A 3 would have been huge at that moment.

• Informative
Reactions: isu81

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I think it is too early to really tell. ISU had to replace a lot of scoring this year, so there is going to be an adjustment. Team looks like it is playing hard on defense and most of the shots that they are missing are pretty decent shots. Still can't believe that someone in the guard court isn't a better shooter than what we have seen so far.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Do you think this team is going better than 9-9 or 10-8 in conference? If not then this game was critical. Losing nine conference games on top of the 2 we have now gives us 11, which gives us very little wiggle room when we still have 2 more here, Auburn, Seton Hall, and Iowa. We're not making the tournament with 13 or 14 losses so the wiggle room we had is quickly dying after losing to Oregon State and Michigan

I'm not sure what we'll do in conference. We're still watching this team figure itself out. I'm just not willing to write the team off before December. Losing to a team that should be ranked and will be near the top of a P5 conference shouldn't end our season in any fan's eyes. I think we saw this team learn some things today and fight back. We made a ton of floaters in the lane because they were collapsing to take away getting all the way to the rim. If we can keep doing that and stop Nixon from shooting 86 threes a game, I think we'll be alright.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It seems like creating steals and turnovers is the thing we do best.

TH is leading the nation and the other guards are all very high steals per minute. Grill's steals per minute might be almost as good as TH's.
Yeah, trying to play up-tempo and get some steals makes sense when trying to cut into a 10-point lead. Grill is better defensively than many freshman guards, that's for sure.