FSU talking potential hiring of Campbell

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Just look at some recent blue blood hires for the other side of the coin. OU promoted a coordinator internally, as did Ohio State. Texas hired a current non P5 head coach. Dabo was an internal promotion at Clemson. Orgeron was the DL coach at LSU before taking the reigns.

It is just a lazy reporting formula. Take an up and coming coach at a non blue blood school (CMC, Fleck, Rhule, etc) and combine with a struggling blue blood like FSU or USC. Bingo, easy click bait story that takes 5 minutes to crank out. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Bill Snyder, Kirk Ferentz, Pat Fitzgerald, Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson, Mike Gundy, Kyle Wittingham, Mark Dantonio, David Shaw, Art Briles. Good list of coaches that stuck around when they likely could have moved on to "bigger" jobs. More often than not, coaches stick around long enough that they are eventually forced to resign or get fired after things go stale (McCarney).

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Bill Snyder, Kirk Ferentz, Pat Fitzgerald, Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson, Mike Gundy, Kyle Wittingham, Mark Dantonio, David Shaw, Art Briles. Good list of coaches that stuck around when they likely could have moved on to "bigger" jobs. More often than not, coaches stick around long enough that they are eventually forced to resign or get fired after things go stale (McCarney).

Which makes Holgerson's move from P5 to G5 weird. What was the story there? Did he just want access to Texas recruits?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Just look at some recent blue blood hires for the other side of the coin. OU promoted a coordinator internally, as did Ohio State. Texas hired a current non P5 head coach. Dabo was an internal promotion at Clemson. Orgeron was the DL coach at LSU before taking the reigns.

It is just a lazy reporting formula. Take an up and coming coach at a non blue blood school (CMC, Fleck, Rhule, etc) and combine with a struggling blue blood like FSU or USC. Bingo, easy click bait story that takes 5 minutes to crank out. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
The latest P5s hiring a P5 coach that I can recall:

Chyrst at Wisconsin (from Pitt) 2014
Franklin at PSU (from Vandy) 2013
Mike Riley at Nebraska (from Oregon St) 2014
Jimbo at A$M (from FSU) 2017
Bert at Arkansas (from Wisconsin) 2012
Taggart at FSU (from Oregon) 2017
Mullen at Florida (from Mississippi St) 2017
Sarkisian at USC (from UW) 2013
Anderson at Oregon St (from Wisconsin) 2014

Louisville was in the AAC when Strong left for UT

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Franklin...I'm just not sure if that's really that big of a jump.
I agree. I have followed Franklin since he was at Vandy and my understanding is that as he built that into a solid program, he turned away a number of suitors but always held out for Penn State because he's a Pennsylvania guy. I believe the Vandy AD people knew that PSU could be the reason that he left Vandy. Applying all that to FSU, I would be very surprised that he'd leave a much better program AND his home state for FSU. So I very much doubt that there'd be an opening at PSU for Campbell in some theoretical universe.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
The latest P5s hiring a P5 coach that I can recall:

Chyrst at Wisconsin (from Pitt) 2014
Franklin at PSU (from Vandy) 2013
Mike Riley at Nebraska (from Oregon St) 2014
Jimbo at A$M (from FSU) 2017
Bert at Arkansas (from Wisconsin) 2012
Taggart at FSU (from Oregon) 2017
Mullen at Florida (from Mississippi St) 2017
Sarkisian at USC (from UW) 2013
Anderson at Oregon St (from Wisconsin) 2014

Louisville was in the AAC when Strong left for UT

speaking of Bert at Arkansas, where did our 'ole friend' end up after he got fired?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We're kind of speaking out both sides of our mouths if we talk about Campbell leaving the program in a better place and then say MSU will return to mediocrity upon Dantonio's departure. And their mediocrity is still better than ours, historically.
Well, I don't believe that if Campbell left now he would really have a long term impact on ISU as a program. There are marginal things, but largely 3-4 years post Campbell ISU will be as good or bad as the current coach at that time.

I think he would have minor impacts in improving name value for recruits and helping to generate cash for facility improvements, but these types of changes are dwarfed by how good or bad the existing coaching staff is.

College football shows consistently that there is no job over the long haul can prop up a bad coach or keep down a good coach. Proximity to recruits and competition for those recruits matter, but those things are inherent to the program regardless of coach.

Now if a guy with Campbell ties like Manning or Candle took over and were great that would be a different story.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Who has CMC singled out as his personal coaching heroes or icons? I can think of three. Bill Snyder, Gary Patterson, and Kirk Ferentz. Now why do you suppose he chose those three? Because they all stuck around at non-glamorous P5 school and built it into something special. (say what you want about Iowa. I'd be overjoyed if ISU had their same record over the last 20 some years of KF).

CMC is the same vein as these guys. He's conservative and all about loyalty, trust, blue-collar work ethic, and stability. He's not going anywhere for a long time, if ever.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Who has CMC singled out as his personal coaching heroes or icons? I can think of three. Bill Snyder, Gary Patterson, and Kirk Ferentz. Now why do you suppose he chose those three? Because they all stuck around at non-glamorous P5 school and built it into something special. (say what you want about Iowa. I'd be overjoyed if ISU had their same record over the last 20 some years of KF).

CMC is the same vein as these guys. He's conservative and all about loyalty, trust, blue-collar work ethic, and stability. He's not going anywhere for a long time, if ever.

Because they’re 3 dicks that have boned us way too much? ;)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Which makes Holgerson's move from P5 to G5 weird. What was the story there? Did he just want access to Texas recruits?

WVU thinks they're something they're not and was going to fire him eventually. Houston is a good, familiar place for him to land.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Should remember this everyone, but nobody does...

When the MSU thread popped up talking about how their message board was weighing if they wanted him or not, my first thought/want to do was to post on that board that he didn't even take the Tennessee interview after 1 year at 8 wins. Although Tennessee is a dumpster, it has far better resources in place (football wise) and a brand name that plays in the SEC (even if they are the butt of the joke often). If he didn't even care to listen to the offer, I didn't see how MSU felt they were a shoo in for him if they wanted him.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90