Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If the reports are correct, it would've been Tim.

Budweiser Presents Real Men of Genius

Today we salute you Mr. Turf Grass Manager guy, you bust your ass maintaining something that is used 7 times a year and defend it when a ignorant rival band trespasses on it. While many people take the easy way out with artificial surfaces, you enjoy playing in the dirt and weeds to make a field that looks immaculate on game day that you manicure to fit your team's strengths. So crack open a nice cold Budweiser oh King of Grass.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Seems like this deserves a bump. For as bad as the turf was in September, not the turf team's fault, it held up better in October and November than I envisioned. That said there were still large chunks of turf coming up and more slips than you would usually see. Once again this isn't the Tim fault, it is just the weather in Iowa isn't conducive to having a consistent surface.

Wonder what the long term plans are here. I am of the mind that CMC gets to decide what is best for the team.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: jsb and wxman1

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Seems like this deserves a bump. For as bad as the turf was in September, not the turf team's fault, it held up better in October and November than I envisioned. That said there were still large chunks of turf coming up and more slips than you would usually see. Once again this isn't the Tim fault, it is just the weather in Iowa isn't conducive to having a consistent surface.

Wonder what the long term plans are here. I am of the mind that CMC gets to decide what is best for the team.
Honestly I don’t know that you can expect better from the field. The turn around this year was amazing. The field turf team deserves a ton of credit. You can look at other grass fields even in the south and they look just as bad if not worse this time of year. I’m still of the opinion that we need to rebuild the field invest in maybe some heating and see how it goes. I think the end of the year proved we can still get a good surface it just takes maintenance of it.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It was a bad November for the anti-grass crowd.

Seems like it even led to some home field advantage against Texas because they couldn't figure out what cleats to wear.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Stay with natural grass, but it is time to tear it up and start over, and hopefully upgrade the technology some with at least heaters.
I wouldn't get too optimistic. Does anyone else in college football beyond Minnesota have a heated field? The Gophers only got it because the Vikings paid for it when they were forced to play there for a couple of seasons.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I like the natural grass and would prefer to keep it, but I would understand if we went to turf and would be fine with it. Hopefully the weather patterns change and we get some good falls in over the next few years - these abnormally wet falls have been frustrating.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I wouldn't get too optimistic. Does anyone else in college football beyond Minnesota have a heated field? The Gophers only got it because the Vikings paid for it when they were forced to play there for a couple of seasons.

Not sure many do. But so many, particularly in the north, have moved to artificial turf it limits the number that would have natural grass wanting to do this

• Agree
Reactions: TruClone

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
As long as Lambeau & Soldier Field have real grass, so should we. How bout we consider it a source of pride and chalk it up as part of our home field advantage? Domes and astroturf are for wussies. One of my favorite things about the sport is playing games in spite of whatever crap mother nature throws at it (minus lightning, earthquakes, etc. obviously).

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
We should ask the cheerleaders who had to be in the mud the last couple home games.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Got any pictures of that? Despite its flaws, I don't think field drainage has been a big issue unless it is actively raining at the time.
I didn't take pictures, but where they stand was all mud. I like the grass don't get me wrong but it looks so JV in November when its dormant.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron