***Official ISU Bowl Predictions***

Punter18

Nov 12, 2017
Memphis this year is a New Years Eve game slot - that makes Memphis a bit more appealing this time around with Beale street and a SEC opponent etc. Chances are it will be 10-15 degrees warmer than the last time ISU played there under a Polar Vortex!

Reactions: cypher

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Memphis this year is a New Years Eve game slot - that makes Memphis a bit more appealing this time around with Beale street and a SEC opponent etc. Chances are it will be 10-15 degrees warmer than the last time ISU played there under a Polar Vortex!

First time there was NYE and it rained a lot. It sucked.

FrankDrebin

Jul 21, 2014
The Alamo gets to select whichever Big 12 team they want. If the scenario you described happens, they would certainly select Iowa State.

I disagree.

1- Bowls aren’t picking based on standings
2- ISU was there last year and bowls would prefer to not repeat. It’$ make$ more $en$e to get teams who haven’t been there recently and are more likely to go with full travel numbers.
3- With UT, TCU, and OSU available I think they’d pick a more local team. Last year BU & TCU barely got bowl eligible and they picked a much better team. If UT beats Tech and two teams make the NY6 I expect UT to get the Alamo.

4- In that scenario it’s ISU Vs ND in Orlando imo

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I disagree.

2- ISU was there last year and bowls would prefer to not repeat. It’$ make$ more $en$e to get teams who haven’t been there recently and are more likely to go with full travel numbers.
3- With UT, TCU, and OSU available I think they’d pick a more local team. Last year BU & TCU barely got bowl eligible and they picked a much better team. If UT beats Tech and two teams make the NY6 I expect UT to get the Alamo.

Our fanbase could travel at 50% what it did last year and the Alamo bowl would still make more money picking us over a handful of Big 12 schools.

Given the chance described in previous polls, the Alamo bowl would piss itself in excitement to have the opportunity to take us again.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The weather in Memphis has sucked both times.

Memphis against a SEC team would be great as a new experience. As it is, please be Orlando or Houston.

Even though the weather was bad, that first Liberty bowl was JPs genius. He got a close bowl for a fan base starving for a bowl. Fan base flooded that place and ISU has lived up to it time and time again.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Best case scenario: ISU beats KSU, OU beats OSU, and OU makes the CFP -

CFP: OU
Sugar: BU
Alamo: hope it picks 8-4 Iowa State over 8-4 OSU - likely vs the P12 title game loser (Oregon/Utah)
Camping World: other 8-4 team

Worst case scenario: KSU beats ISU, OSU beats OU, Texas beats TTU -

Sugar: OU/BU winner
Alamo: OU/BU loser
Camping World: 8-4 K-State or 9-3 OSU
Texas: other team from above or maybe 7-5 Texas
Liberty: remaining team not taken by Texas Bowl
Cheez-It: 7-5 Iowa State likely against a Mountain West program

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What are the odds of the Alamo Bowl picking us over Baylor because we travel so well (and Baylor is Baylor)? Haven't we been picked a few times before teams that finished ahead of us in the conference?

The Alamo Bowl reps had to be impressed by how full the stadium was during a student break on a cold day with a crummy kick-off time.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
What are the odds of the Alamo Bowl picking us over Baylor because we travel so well (and Baylor is Baylor)? Haven't we been picked a few times before teams that finished ahead of us in the conference?

The Alamo Bowl reps had to be impressed by how full the stadium was during a student break on a cold day with a crummy kick-off time.

This might not get a lot of love on here but I hope that doesn't happen. Baylor has earned the right to play in a better bowl game than us.

I only say that because when will the day come when, say, the Cotton Bowl says No to a 11-2 Iowa State team in favor of an 8-4 Texas team.

Fans travelling should have some impact on what bowl a team gets selected to, but not so much that the big fan bases just rule the show every year

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

Alamo: hope it picks 8-4 Iowa State over 8-4 OSU

Alamo: hope it picks 8-4 Iowa State over 8-4 OSU - likely vs the P12 title game loser (Oregon/Utah)
Camping World: other 8-4 team

Worst case scenario: KSU beats ISU, OSU beats OU, Texas beats TTU -

Sugar: OU/BU winner
Alamo: OU/BU loser
Camping World: 8-4 K-State or 9-3 OSU
Texas: other team from above or maybe 7-5 Texas
Liberty: remaining team not taken by Texas Bowl
Cheez-It: 7-5 Iowa State likely against a Mountain West program

OU still needs a lot of help to make the CFP. If Georgia beats LSU in the SEC Championship game I'd assume both Georgia and LSU are in along with Clemson and Ohio State.

If LSU beats Georgia, Utah beats Oregon, and OU beats Baylor will be really interesting who gets the 4th slot (with LSU, Ohio State and Clemson) between OU and Utah.

If Ohio State loses the BIG title game things really get interesting.

So many scenarios still could play out.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
I disagree.

Actually, I don’t think UT goes to the Alamo in any scenario. I think the likely team to be in the Alamo is Oklahoma State and us in the Camping World (as long as we win next weekend). I see a UT/TX A&M matchup in the Texas Bowl in Houston as the most likely.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009

Alamo Bowl rep was quoted today that there would be no problem having Iowa State two years in a row.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
OU still needs a lot of help to make the CFP. If Georgia beats LSU in the SEC Championship game I'd assume both Georgia and LSU are in along with Clemson and Ohio State.

If LSU beats Georgia, Utah beats Oregon, and OU beats Baylor will be really interesting who gets the 4th slot (with LSU, Ohio State and Clemson) between OU and Utah.

If Ohio State loses the BIG title game things really get interesting.

So many scenarios still could play out.

I think it’s unlikely OU makes the CFP so I agree. If they do not, but we beat KSU and OU beats OSU, then the Camping World will likely take 8-4 ISU over 8-4 OSU. We’d be alone in 3rd place and with a better ranking, although OSU would have head to head. OSU was also in that game 2 years ago and we’ve never been. I think it would be a pretty solid pick for us to Orlando if those 3 things happen (we win, OSU loses, and Big 12 doesn’t make the playoff).

One scenario I could see this going the other way is if Camping World gets Notre Dame. Then maybe they move down the Big 12 list to get Texas and try to go for the big name matchup. Otherwise get ready for Iowa State-Virginia or something like that in Orlando.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I think it’s unlikely OU makes the CFP so I agree. If they do not, but we beat KSU and OU beats OSU, then the Camping World will likely take 8-4 ISU over 8-4 OSU. We’d be alone in 3rd place and with a better ranking, although OSU would have head to head. OSU was also in that game 2 years ago and we’ve never been. I think it would be a pretty solid pick for us to Orlando if those 3 things happen (we win, OSU loses, and Big 12 doesn’t make the playoff). One scenario I could see this going the other way is if Camping World gets Notre Dame. Then maybe they move down the Big 12 list to get Texas and try to go for the big name matchup.

Especially now without their leading receiver and QB I think it's a foregone conclusion that theyd take us over OSU.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If we beat K-State, we should not fall below CWB with a chance at Alamo depending on how NY6 plays out.

If we do miss out on CWB with 8-4 record, it’s because of Texa$.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
If we beat K-State, we should not fall below CWB with a chance at Alamo depending on how NY6 plays out.

If we do miss out on CWB with 8-4 record, it’s because of Texa$.
Yeah it would be interesting to see what would be more important to the CWB. ISU would bring a lot more people to game (tickets/hotels, etc.) but would they rather have the bigger "name" (Texas) and probably get a better tv rating?

In the old days I think ISU would be the clear choice but I almost think today the TV ratings are just as if not more important to the Bowl Staff/ESPN who owns a lot of these games.