*** Official Kansas VS #22 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Realistically, probably a combination of both.

I just tire of seeing everyone ***** about our highly nationally ranked offense every single week but suck off our underperforming defense weekly. Our defense is chock full of players that I just love having on our team, but at some point we’ve got to call a spade a spade.

The defensive performance (or lack thereof today) really shows, at least to me, how talented and valuable JaQuan Bailey is to this team.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Possibly, or, it could be that other teams have done a MUCH better scouting our D, & are able to adjust better.
Disagree. It’s more a regression in personnel than scheme, particularly at CB and safety, but also in replacing a unique guy like Harvey at LB.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Little kitties will be pumped for a ranked ISU coming into town. I dont see ISU coming out for that game with a lot of energy as usual.

So it is good we got this win.

I think next week has a chance to be a hell of a game.

I'm actually not too concerned with it since they pulled it out today. Solidified a winning season which as helter skelter as this team has been, is fantastic.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
lost in the ruckus of today.

3rd straight winning season. (what only 2nd time if that even in school history?)
Brock Purdy now owning a few school records, and is still top 5 in the country in passing yards.
were still bowling for the 3rd year in a row....

**** KSU... **** TOE..

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
lost in the ruckus of today.

3rd straight winning season. (what only 2nd time if that even in school history?)
Brock Purdy now owning a few school records, and is still top 5 in the country in passing yards.
were still bowling for the 3rd year in a row....

**** KSU... **** TOE..

Third.

What's funny is...put those late 70s teams and even a couple of teams in today's bowl allotment and the perspective of ISU perhaps isn't as bad. 6-5 in '86 and '89.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I think the biggest problem with the defense at the moment is the loss of versatility in the linebackers from Harvey's graduation combined with Eisworth's injury. Right now Rose, McMillan, and Vance are all part of the linebacker rotation, when all of them really fit best as inside linebackers. None of the current linebackers have the speed and coverage ability that Harvey had. I think earlier this season Eisworth was able to cover some of that up on plays outside, but with his injury they've both played him less and schemed to avoid having him play as close to the line.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Pooka just made plays. Braxton Lewis failed to make a few plays. Have to think those issues had more to do with blown assignments on our end than Kansas scouting and knowing what we were going to do defensively. I will not give them credit for doing something really nobody has done against us, not named Oklahoma

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Pooka just made plays. Braxton Lewis failed to make a few plays. Have to think those issues had more to do with blown assignments on our end than Kansas scouting and knowing what we were going to do defensively. I will not give them credit for doing something really nobody has done against us, not named Oklahoma

ISU's D has stepped up lately which is great...but they've been leaky in crucial moments in losses as well.

Pooka made plays but if you don't tackle at the first level, that's when he gets loose. Not breaking down and pursuit angles contributed to that.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think the biggest problem with the defense at the moment is the loss of versatility in the linebackers from Harvey's graduation combined with Eisworth's injury. Right now Rose, McMillan, and Vance are all part of the linebacker rotation, when all of them really fit best as inside linebackers. None of the current linebackers have the speed and coverage ability that Harvey had. I think earlier this season Eisworth was able to cover some of that up on plays outside, but with his injury they've both played him less and schemed to avoid having him play as close to the line.
Well said.

We’re also not tacking at the level of previous teams. But that could also be influenced by the LB mismatch. Peavy was a rock on the edge.

Also, just more mental breakdowns than we’ve grown accustom to.

That said, two of our losses were definitely not on the defense. Arguably the Ok St wasn’t either imo. OU is OU.