Tesla Cybertruck

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
How to you go from this?

The-Tesla-electric-pick-up-truck-mystery.jpg

To this?
View attachment 68812

"Mr. Musk we've ran the figures and we think we can manufacture this particular protoype for around $100,000.00 per vehicle."

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
OK, now that I've made fun of how this looks, I'm starting to come around. Seems to me the single motor at $40k with the 250 mile range still has enough range and towing capacity for most people, myself included. What kind of credit could I snag for that? What's a charge time, and what's the elec. cost per mile? Also, what kind of actual range should you use between charges to optimize battery life? My bladder has a range of just about 220 miles. What strategies for coordinating peeing and charging can people suggest?

Someone answer all these questions for me or better yet just tell me what to do.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
OK, now that I've made fun of how this looks, I'm starting to come around. Seems to me the single motor at $40k with the 250 mile range still has enough range and towing capacity for most people, myself included. What kind of credit could I snag for that? What's a charge time, and what's the elec. cost per mile? Also, what kind of actual range should you use between charges to optimize battery life? My bladder has a range of just about 220 miles. What strategies for coordinating peeing and charging can people suggest?

Someone answer all these questions for me or better yet just tell me what to do.

Credit-I assume you're talking about a tax credit. Those are pretty much gone for Tesla and will be completely gone by the time this is in production. If you're talking about getting credit for being environmentally friendly, I wouldn't expect any.

Charging-Depends if you're charging at home or with one of the Tesla Superchargers. I'm guessing with a Tesla supercharger, I wold expect 0-80% within 30-40 minutes. At home depends on what you have.

Cost per mile-Well first you would need to figure out your rate.At .10 per KWH you're looking at about 3.5 cents per mile. Compared to 15 cents per mile for a truck getting 20mpg at $3 gallon. So about $420/year for the electric and about $1,800/year for the gas power assuming 12k miles a year.

Optimize Battery-This isn't a cell phone. "Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data"

Bladder-If you stay on the interstates, it's hard to find a place where there isn't a charging station every 200 miles. This was 2 years ago and only includes Tesla supercharge stations. https://cleantechnica.com/files/2016/12/2017.png

Peeing and charging-On the way to Omaha there is one at the Corn Crib. Go in and have a meal, use the bathroom, etc. If you're bored, sit in your Tesla and watch some netflix or play a video game. On the way to KC, there is one in Bethany at the Kum & Go. Go inside pee and tell the employees how you prefer Casey's pizza and the owners are A holes for supporting the Hawks. On the way to Minneapolis, there is one in Downs. You have your choice of Arby's or Godfathers and you can go shopping at Dows Junction. I've never heard of Dows Junction but I assume it's like Valley Junction but in Dows....wait Dows Junction is actually a gas station and what it's known most for is having 8 Tesla Superchargers. Oh and it looks like Kelly's Kreations has some awesome looking long johns, both filled and un-filled. If you're looking for as little culture, she even makes Bavarian filled ones. You know Bavaria, home of Oktoberfest.

A question that I would worry about is cold weather and how much that hurts your total mileage.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Snydes and g4ce

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
"Mr. Musk we've ran the figures and we think we can manufacture this particular protoype for around $100,000.00 per vehicle."

Very much this! He promised a truck that would be competitively priced against the F150, current best selling truck, really the only best selling truck. It doesn't matter that his "bulletproof" glass broke when they through a 4" ball bearing at it last night. The thing is the cost of an F150 and has better everything than the current market leader.

It depends on where you live, but in 2021 there will be no federal credits, although there may be state credits available.

Currently, you can get a model 3 can get up to 1000 miles per hour charge, so if you have a 250-mile range you can expect to be able to charge your batteries fully in under 30 minutes because the last 20ish percent is very hard to get. But you should be able to get to 75% charge in less than 15 minutes. Also, note the 250-mile range appears to be a minimum. It is possible they will go further.

I don't' know if Telsa says officially, I have heard you are best to keep it north of 20% charge and not charge to compacity all the time. I don't know how true that is. I know in the real world the batteries are outlasting what the early estimates were. The early model S battery packs were expected to last a total of 400,000 miles or so, now I have seen they think they may last up to 1,000,000 miles.

Telsa has a vast charging network of its own Superchargers, there most cities have ample charging stations now. There are not a lot of places you can drive over 200 miles without finding a place to charge.

The price point is actually super impressive for what you get.

It is absolutely amazing in my opinion. You can get a fully capable AWD 1/2 ton pickup with autonomous driving, 300+ mile of range, 10,000 lbs of towing capacity space for 6 people, a built-in bed cover, a tailgate ramp all for less than $57,000. I don't think many people thought that was possible before last night.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Snydes and Macloney

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Credit-I assume you're talking about a tax credit. Those are pretty much gone for Tesla and will be completely gone by the time this is in production. If you're talking about getting credit for being environmentally friendly, I wouldn't expect any.

Charging-Depends if you're charging at home or with one of the Tesla Superchargers. I'm guessing with a Tesla supercharger, I wold expect 0-80% within 30-40 minutes. At home depends on what you have.

Cost per mile-Well first you would need to figure out your rate.At .10 per KWH you're looking at about 3.5 cents per mile. Compared to 15 cents per mile for a truck getting 20mpg at $3 gallon. So about $420/year for the electric and about $1,800/year for the gas power assuming 12k miles a year.

Optimize Battery-This isn't a cell phone. "Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data"

Bladder-If you stay on the interstates, it's hard to find a place where there isn't a charging station every 200 miles. This was 2 years ago and only includes Tesla supercharging stations. https://cleantechnica.com/files/2016/12/2017.png

Peeing and charging-On the way to Omaha there is one at the Corn Crib. Go in and have a meal, use the bathroom, etc. If you're bored, sit in your Tesla and watch some netflix or play a video game. On the way to KC, there is one in Bethany at the Kum & Go. Go inside pee and tell the employees how you prefer Casey's pizza and the owners are A holes for supporting the Hawks. On the way to Minneapolis, there is one in Downs. You have your choice of Arby's or Godfathers and you can go shopping at Dows Junction. I've never heard of Dows Junction but I assume it's like Valley Junction but in Dows....wait Dows Junction is actually a gas station and what it's known most for is having 8 Tesla Superchargers. Oh and it looks like Kelly's Kreations has some awesome looking long johns, both filled and un-filled. If you're looking for as little culture, she even makes Bavarian filled ones. You know Bavaria, home of Oktoberfest.

A question that I would worry about is cold weather and how much that hurts your total mileage.

You really did a better job than me at this. I feel ashamed! My understanding is cold weather all depends on if you can keep the batteries warm, in other words, if you can charge at your home or where you park outside, you will be okay, but if you have to use the battery to heat the battery mileage suffers. But I know in my car mileage suffers when the car is cold, just the ICB warms up faster, my car it is more the transmission warming up, freaking Germans wanting optimal operating temps before fuel economy.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

I’m excited for the Rivians to deliver, but I’d go for this assuming they make some modest changes in production.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Let your 22 year-old son buy it. And don't pee on the charging unit or you will absolutely charge your unit.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Cause it's a lot cheaper to make exterior panels using a break press than to form all those complex curves.

All current OEM body part are made in a die press, you couldn't run any serious production numbers with any sort of consistency in a brake press, come on.

• Winner
Reactions: AgronAlum

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
1. Its not unique. It's a ripoff of vehicle designs from 80s B movie Sci-Fi.
2. Do a lot of people really complain that all cars look the same? Is it the same people bashing this vehicle?

Count me as someone who's never heard the 'All cars looks the same and I'm angry' discussion.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
All current OEM body part are made in a die press, you couldn't run any serious production numbers with any sort of consistency in a brake press, come on.

I'm just grasping at straws as to the reason for the styling. The only thing I could come up with was saving money on sheet metal and glass tools for prototyping.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'll potentially check out the fully electric F150 when it comes to market but there's no chance in hell I touch Elon's ugly ass thing.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Musk has become a caricature. His ego requires constant media attention so he shows off numerous "concepts" without the ability to bring them to market.

I used to work in the solar industry and one of the biggest issues we had was explaining to consumers that the latest greatest thing, they saw Musk show off, is not available for sale and likely won't be for a long time, if ever. His solar company is a giant suck hole of money and liabilities.

He's a billion times the visionary as Zuck and not trying to destroy our elections with taking money off false adverting.

We're very lucky he has chosen to do his business in our country.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
He's a billion times the visionary as Zuck and not trying to destroy our elections with taking money off false adverting.

I agree with you on most of this, but let's not pretend like he has anywhere else to pull this off.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and CTTB78

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

But possibly with unintended effects.

Lithium in batteries makes it the new Gold with current energy storage technology. Bolivia, S. America's poorest country, recently had a coup. It hasn't escaped attention that Lithium, for battery demand, is abundant in Bolivia and the coup ousted the first indigenous leader wanting to control native resources. Coincidence?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

Musk does business in this country because each of his companies relies on a massive amount of government subsidies. I don't question his visionary ability. Where I question him, is in the one area that he does share similarity with Zuckerburg, in that he has no operational person giving him reality checks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron