Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Jbo be like, " C'mon Fellas Fear the Beard"!!! James Harden you are not!! Dude must be on pain killers yet from this pic.

upload_2019-11-22_10-30-42.png

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I will be pissed if we shoot 15+ 3pt shots against Iowa. We better attack the rim. Bolton and Hali should have a field day getting to the basket and making plays.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
The best piece of trash talk of all time is Kevin Garnett telling Carmelo Anthony his wife's lady parts taste like Honey Nut Cheerios. Does not, and will not get better than that.

Anyway, just thought i would drop that in here as people are talking about trash talking.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
They're not good but I don't think they're 4-14 in a bad conference bad unless Wieskamp or Garza gets hurt. They literally went the entire year without a good win in 2017-2018.

The Big Ten is way down but I don't think Iowa even makes the NIT this year

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Haliburton comes off as so sweet and wholesome that I have a hard time imagining that. Then again, Georges did too, and he was evidently a terror out there.

I can completely see Conditt being pretty merciless.
I don't think Tyrese has a problem talking smack. Playful smack that is.. not over the top. Georges never went over the top, but would have no problem getting under the skin a bit.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
It's interesting he hasn't sat a game yet. Based on the 30% rule, he can play in up to 9 games and still be eligible for the medical hardship waiver. The Iowa State game is the 11th on their schedule. So he would now have to sit out Cal Poly and another game against a Power 5 team in order to play the CyHawk game.
My guess is that is what will happen. He has not looked very good up to this point (especially shooting-wise), so I'd be quite surprised if he decides to play the entire year.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Haliburton comes off as so sweet and wholesome that I have a hard time imagining that. Then again, Georges did too, and he was evidently a terror out there.

I can completely see Conditt being pretty merciless.
I agree about Haliburton. Haliburton's trash talk has to be something like, "I thought your other hair cut looked even better on you, not that this one is bad."

If he plays much, I would imagine that Grill can talk pretty good.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I think you see Bolton on J-Bo, Solomon and Conditt will guard Garza, Nixon on Weiscamp, and then Halliburton and Jacobson on whoever else is on the floor. I think Halliburton and Conditt will do the trash talking. Both of them are fiery and aren't afraid to say something.

Love Halliburton's game, but never thought of him as the fiery-trash-talking sort.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfamily

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Love Halliburton's game, but never thought of him as the fiery-trash-talking sort.
There are different types of trash talkers. Those who do it every game and it's a part of who they are, and those who pick and choose when they do it. Those usually do it in more competitive games or when the other person starts the conversation first. Halliburton has actually had a couple times this year where his defender has said something to him and he's said something back. I don't think Halliburton is a trash talker by any means, I'm simply saying with his moxy and swagger, I wouldn't be surprised if a little comes out in the rivalry game.

Reactions: VeloClone

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I know we like making fun of Iowa, but...

Garza can score. Not much for defense, but the guy knows how to fill up the bucket. Who do we put on him? Young and body him up? Conditt and block him?

Wieskamp is still a dude. They would suck without him.

You know JoBo is going to play in the Iowa State game and come out firing like 3/4 from three and start chirping early. Whoever gets him on defense (and probably Nixon? maybe Haliburton?) is going to have to put him in his place early, too.

We miss a Georges sort of trash-talker to **** with their heads. Somebody needs to do it.

Iowa is not good, but they will up for their Super Bowl. We better be ready.

Few thoughts:

Agree Garza can score. Can't let him spot up and nail threes. I don't think he is a huge threat to put it on the floor and drive to the hole, so you have to close out. His post moves seem to be a fade away jumper and slow motion up-and-unders. Can't afford to go for those fakes and foul. Need to body him and keep him off the offensive glass. Loved the work Solo did on Cook 2 years ago. His bodying up on him took him out of his offensive game. On the other hand, I hope someone is agressive enough on Garza to expose him on defense.

If they sit J-Bo a game or two so he can play against ISU, how can they not say that is their SuperBowl if they then plan to shut him down?

Like Wieskamps game. Can't let him get hot outside, but don't close out so fast you give up the baseline when he is in the corner. He has lots of skills, but seems to leverage a few of those regularly so possibly someone you can force out of his comfort zone. I haven't watched enough of their games to focus in on him for a true scouting report.

I remember during the game last year during an early timeout, Prohm was on Haliburton about letting Moss keep rising up and shooting threes uncontested.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
He's wearing the suit for his night job as the brooding butler.

IdealisticUnhealthyBlowfish.webp

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm being honest, if Fran would think it through they would have a 7 man rotation:

Connor
CJF
Weiskamp
Nunge
Garza

Kriener
Toussaint.

That's it. That's the only guys that should be playing on that team.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
There are different types of trash talkers. Those who do it every game and it's a part of who they are, and those who pick and choose when they do it. Those usually do it in more competitive games or when the other person starts the conversation first. Halliburton has actually had a couple times this year where his defender has said something to him and he's said something back. I don't think Halliburton is a trash talker by any means, I'm simply saying with his moxy and swagger, I wouldn't be surprised if a little comes out in the rivalry game.

In a 9th grade basketball game I hit a three and got fouled and then I ran up in to the stands and sat next to one of the players on the other team’s gf and put my arm around her (I was friends with both the girl and the opposing player) but still that was one of my best moments in trash talking. I didn’t play much the rest of that season but it was almost over and everyone except the dooshbags were in the “time to move on to soccer/golf/track” stage any way.

Too many brutal stories to list from soccer and basketball. the late 90’s were a golden era of trash talking. Nothing was off limits. It got really bad when we started having rivalries with soccer teams from Omaha. fights, cheap shots, and rampant verbal abuse were the norm not the exception. Loved every minute of it all.

edit: okay one story though. This was in Omaha or KC but the team we were playing was from Omaha. A kid on my team with braces somehow clashed his mouth and braces right on the top of the head of a kid on the opposing team.

Our guy was pretty okay, he had to leave the game but wasn’t seriously hurt. But the other guy was down and bleeding all over. Everyone (the players) kind of huddled around before any parents or coaches came out.

A kid on my team was holding the game ball in his hands and a kid from the other team smacked it out his hands as we’re all standing there. Everyone kind of paused because it was like “this can go one of two ways right now.”

so the ball is bouncing around and we’re all kind of looking at each other and it comes to my feet. Everyone is looking at me and it’s like time is standing still because again we come to a second “this can go one of two ways right now” in the matter of a minute.

Needless to say my judgement was not great at this time in my life (15/16 years old) so I just kicked the ball at the kid that was laying there bleeding on the ground.

Brawl ensues and the game is cancelled.

Last edited: