ISU vs Iowa

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
If you've got choice you've got to go with a weight that maximizes recovery time for your toughest cuts and puts the opposition's toughest cut up ASAP.

I would assume that in the Iowa lineup the toughest cut is Young? Obviously he did well at 157 last year, but the man was 165/174 his first two years so I can't imagine it's a cake walk. Give Carr the first match and buy as much time for Small to recover at 133 (not that it matters if Desanto goes 133).

Obviously the dual is only ever in question if there are unexpected lineup changes from Iowa and some of those "or's" become realities. If Cashman goes at 125 and Desanto is at 141 then we can start talking potential upset. I expect a really fun dual though and hopefully we show some progress and continued ability to compete with these guys.

Reactions: Sturge34

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
I think Mackall is ranked where he is based off last season plus his tech of Schwarm from UNI. Coming into the season, Schwarm was top 10 on Flo.

If ISU gets their choice for starting point, do not go 165, regardless of having Carr last. 165/174 are the two biggest mis-matches of this entire dual. You want the crowd to die quickly? Start at 165. Start at 141. Roll with Parker-Degen-Carr to kick it off. Come out strong with 3 of your best.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
141 would be ideal. If they throw Desanto out there and Parker breaks him that would set the tone it keep it close

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
What's with the ducking talk? Brands isn't going to have Wilcke "duck" Colbray. Makes zero sense. They wrestled Brands last weekend as well. I don't think they were ducking the Chattanooga wrestler. If he doesn't wrestle this weekend, then there is another reason.

At 133/141, their best line up, currently, includes DeSanto at 133 (as he would get bonus for sure) and Murin (if healthy) or Happel at 141. This wouldn't be dodging Parker, but rather having DeSanto wrestle his weight class. Bumping him up against a solid wrestler is always a gamble.

I am excited for the dual just to see how the guys have progressed in certain match ups. Carr vs Young is the match of the dual. Parker vs Desanto would be second, if it happens. Colbray vs Wilcke is huge for Colbray this time of the year. He needs a good win in the first half of the season (Vegas would be another chance for this).

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I'm inclined to think Brands will have DeSanto at 133 this Sunday.

While Glynn is obviously a solid wrestler and has gotten better throughout college, I'm guessing Brands put him at 133 last week to give the senior a shot at some Carver love before he graduates.

Looking at the rest of Iowa's home schedule (WI, NE, tOSU, PSU, MN, OkSt), I can't imagine them deterring from their top guys at home the rest of the season unless there's an injury.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What's with the ducking talk? Brands isn't going to have Wilcke "duck" Colbray. Makes zero sense. They wrestled Brands last weekend as well. I don't think they were ducking the Chattanooga wrestler. If he doesn't wrestle this weekend, then there is another reason.

At 133/141, their best line up, currently, includes DeSanto at 133 (as he would get bonus for sure) and Murin (if healthy) or Happel at 141. This wouldn't be dodging Parker, but rather having DeSanto wrestle his weight class. Bumping him up against a solid wrestler is always a gamble.

I am excited for the dual just to see how the guys have progressed in certain match ups. Carr vs Young is the match of the dual. Parker vs Desanto would be second, if it happens. Colbray vs Wilcke is huge for Colbray this time of the year. He needs a good win in the first half of the season (Vegas would be another chance for this).

The guy is clueless and trolling. It's all he has.

Word is that Murin's shoulder will keep him out, but I'm not 100% on that. If that's the case I wouldn't rule out Turk at '41 either.

• Informative
Reactions: Sturge34

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
The guy is clueless and trolling. It's all he has.

Word is that Murin's shoulder will keep him out, but I'm not 100% on that. If that's the case I wouldn't rule out Turk at '41 either.

Turk weighed in at 148.5 for the Luther Open last week. He could be a possible option with an injured Murin, but not this weekend. It would be Happel if not DeSanto bumping up or Murin.

Reactions: Gonzo

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I could get on board with nepotism instead of ducking with Wilcke. Nepotism is the lifeblood of that athletic department

HawkFan1

Feb 2, 2019
125: Lee maj 4-0
133: DeSanto tech 9-0
141: Parker dec 9-3
149: Lugo dec 12-3
157: Carr dec 12-6
165: Marinelli maj 16-6
174: Kemerer tech 21-6
184: Colbray dec 21-9
197: Warner dec 24-9
285: Cassioppi maj 28-9

With the probables and DeSanto at 133, the toss-ups are 149,157,184 imo. The Clones have a path to a 5/5 split, but I don’t see where they match the Hawks bonus.
I also see a path where this gets VERY ugly for ISU. Small took a loss last week and could very much lose to a Glynn/Teasdale while DeSanto could wrestle 141 and give Parker fits as long as he doesn’t go underneath.
I think starting weight will play a big factor. Brands will want to roll out Lee and Dresser won’t want to have a 9-0 hole to come out of.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
125: Lee maj 4-0
133: DeSanto tech 9-0
141: Parker dec 9-3
149: Lugo dec 12-3
157: Carr dec 12-6
165: Marinelli maj 16-6
174: Kemerer tech 21-6
184: Colbray dec 21-9
197: Warner dec 24-9
285: Cassioppi maj 28-9

With the probables and DeSanto at 133, the toss-ups are 149,157,184 imo. The Clones have a path to a 5/5 split, but I don’t see where they match the Hawks bonus.
I also see a path where this gets VERY ugly for ISU. Small took a loss last week and could very much lose to a Glynn/Teasdale while DeSanto could wrestle 141 and give Parker fits as long as he doesn’t go underneath.
I think starting weight will play a big factor. Brands will want to roll out Lee and Dresser won’t want to have a 9-0 hole to come out of.

Who wrestles 141 in that situation? I'd be very surprised if Degen lost

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

It is a pretty good matchup. Degen going 2-0 against him last year, getting late TDs for the win off Lugo's offense. Has Lugo learned? Can Degen get on his offense better/more quickly?

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

HawkFan1

Feb 2, 2019
Happel or Murin. Each would be underdogs to Parker, but I don’t think Parker gets bonus

Degen/Lugo I & II has come down to a TD late in the bout that Degen has secured. Both, I believe, came off of Lugo’s shots. Both have been able to take each other down. I think Lugo is due.

I-Statefanin IACity78

Sep 10, 2019
In division 1 duals what decides what weight the meet starts at?? I am an unapologetic wrestling encyclopedia but this is a thing i am unsure of.

I-Statefanin IACity78

Sep 10, 2019
albeit some of these 1 on 1 rivalries went in a Hawkeyes favor
Dwight Hinson-Mike Mena
Torrae Jackson-Terry Steiner
Cody Sanderson-Eric Juergans
Eric Akin-Chad Zaputil
Joe Gibbons-Kevin Dresser
Jim Gibbons-Randy Lewis
Kevin Darkus-Barry Davis
Matt Johnson-Bart Chelsevig
Travis Paulson- Mark Perry
Kurt Backes-Paul Bradley
Pete Galea vs Chuck Yagla
Willie Gadson vs Chris Campbell
Kelly Ward vs Anybody
And of course Krieger-Heffernan Kelly-Penrith Mann-Banach Reader-Stallingst*r and Gable/Brands vs resting starters for (...)

Last edited:

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
albeit some of these 1 on 1 rivalries went in a Hawkeyes favor
Dwight Hinson-Mike Mena
Torrae Jackson-Terry Steiner
Cody Sanderson-Eric Juergans
Eric Akin-Chad Zaputil
Joe Gibbons-Kevin Dresser
Jim Gibbons-Randy Lewis
Kevin Darkus-Barry Davis
Matt Johnson-Bart Chelsevig
Travis Paulson- Mark Perry
Kurt Backes-Paul Bradley
Kelly Ward vs Anybody
And of course Krieger-Heffernan Kelly-Penrith Mann-Banach Reader-Stallingst*r and Gable/Brands vs resting starters for (...)
Attaboy. Those are ALL great rivalries!

• Dumb
Reactions: simply1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron