Friday OT #1 - Disposable Darling

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Within common/typical Thanksgiving staples … if I’m guesting. (If I host, I have a lot more control).

Musts:
  • Turkey dark meat
  • Stuffing with gravy
  • Mashed potatoes/gravy (can do without if stuffing is available)
  • Biscuit/dinner roll with butter (bread slice if no other option)
  • Vegetable option should include at least 1: glazed carrots; broccoli-cheese casserole; corn
  • Bonus: relish tray options (olives, dill pickles)
Wouldn’t miss:
  • Cranberry sauce (irrelevant for me)
  • Sweet potatoes. Don’t like regardless of theme
  • Macaroni-and-goddamn-cheese (I have 364 other days for that). It's homemade? Good for you.
  • Pumpkin pie (almost any dessert in this context, actually)
Sometimes I'll eat a bit of pie (pumpkin included) but sometimes it involves succumbing to pressure. “Don’t you want some PIE?!” … Me: "I just ate 7 pounds of food, I’m kinda full and it’s nap time. I’ll have some later” (I rarely keep this promise).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Within common/typical Thanksgiving staples … if I’m guesting. (If I host, I have a lot more control).

Musts:
  • Turkey dark meat
  • Stuffing with gravy
  • Vegetable option should include at least 1: glazed carrots; broccoli-cheese casserole; corn
Wouldn’t miss:
  • Macaroni-and-goddamn-cheese (I have 364 other days for that). It's homemade? Good for you.
Sometimes I'll eat a bit of pie (pumpkin included) but sometimes it involves succumbing to pressure. “Don’t you want some PIE?!” … Me: "I just ate 7 pounds of food, I’m kinda full and it’s nap time. I’ll have some later” (I rarely keep this promise).

You forgot the booze. If you can't drink your way through the holiday then why even bother?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Mashed potatoes are a tough road. If they are skin-on, with sour cream and cream cheese, they're great. If they're too mushy or bland, why bother?

I'd much rather have oven roasted potatoes but even those can somehow be screwed up pretty badly in the wrong hands.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
C

Costco refrigerated mashed potatoes are amazing!

I've never tried those! My mom is going to Costco before Thanksgiving, I'll have her grab some! She always used to make Potato Buds when I was growing up, and that **** is nasty.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Mashed potatoes are a tough road. If they are skin-on, with sour cream and cream cheese, they're great. If they're too mushy or bland, why bother?
You gotta know how to make them correctly. Too mushy? Add potato flakes. Too bland? Add salt and other seasonings (and butter or margarine). You can't just peel, boil, mash, and serve. Yuk.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
My mom does Ham and Turkey. I much prefer the Ham so I would not miss Turkey one bit.

Get rid of mashed potatoes. Pretty much any other potato option is better.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Musts:
  • Turkey dark meat
  • Stuffing with gravy
Wouldn’t miss:
The vegetable option that I'm becoming fond of is roasted brussel sprouts.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
So, cowgirl opened the floodgates and all of the turkey haters poured out!

I'm gonna follow 500's lead.
Must haves:
Turkey (also prefer dark meat, most of the fam likes white meat so I'm golden!)
Cornbread pecan stuffing
REAL mashed potatoes (not that potato flakes in water crap) and homemade gravy
Green bean mushroom casserole with french fried onions on top (take THAT, @Angie)
Whole black olives (so the grandkids...and kids...and yeah, us...can put them on our fingers and wave at each other)
Pillsbury croissant rolls
Pecan pie. Pumpkin pie would be a distant second, and all others way below that.

Can live without:
sweet potatoes in any way shape or form
cranberries in any way shape or form
green olives and any pickles (the fam love 'em, I can't stand them)
soggy-ass whitebread & sage stuffing YUCK

One of the biggest disappointments in my childhood Thanksgiving experiences was going to an Aunt's for the dinner. She was a lousy cook so most everything was burnt or undercooked. My sisters and I soldiered through on promises of pie for dessert. The pumpkin pie looked decent. Took a big bite...SQUASH PIE. WHAT AN ABOMINATION!!!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I could just eat Turkey, Mashed potatoes and gravy, and pumpkin pie and be satisfied.

There's a lot of communists in this thread.
vauEUgn.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron