MSU fans discussing new coach. Campbell on their shortlist. Funny stuff

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
It's a comparison, that is all. Being a college coach and getting a shot at your pro dream job(with no prior pro coaching experience). Going from running all aspects of the program to having to deal with owners and GM's. Deciding to come back to college coaching instead of finding another NBA position. Sometimes the grass is not greener in the pros and being a successful college coach can be just as satisfying. Does this answer your statement?
Just ask Tom Manning….I know it's not completely the same but makes me feel good about the culture that ISU now has. :)

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What I find so mind boggling is how many people live in the past. It's what lies ahead which is the most important thing in life.
Also, I haven't had a single response to "what does it take to become a blue-blood?". I'd fully expected a response, or at the very least, some snarky sarcastic response, but none. So, either no one really knows or there really is no such thing. Is it 'titles'? 'money'? Cart before the horse? If it's being on top, are they 'demoted' when they're no longer consistently good (ala USC, UCLA)? All I do know, is I can never accept mediocre acceptance of Iowa State's status. The ceiling is as high for ISU as any other university. And, because I truly feel the fan base is more solid than most, we're already half way there.

In general I think it's doing things at an elite level for long stretches of time over many decades...which ISU hasn't done.

The ceiling isn't as high at ISU as it is at other places, which imo makes it more fun when Texas's players had to wallow off the field last Saturday.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What I find so mind boggling is how many people live in the past. It's what lies ahead which is the most important thing in life.
Also, I haven't had a single response to "what does it take to become a blue-blood?". I'd fully expected a response, or at the very least, some snarky sarcastic response, but none. So, either no one really knows or there really is no such thing. Is it 'titles'? 'money'? Cart before the horse? If it's being on top, are they 'demoted' when they're no longer consistently good (ala USC, UCLA)? All I do know, is I can never accept mediocre acceptance of Iowa State's status. The ceiling is as high for ISU as any other university. And, because I truly feel the fan base is more solid than most, we're already half way there.

It's being a marketable name brand for television and media purposes. A brand that brings in interest, eyeballs, and therefore MONEY. 95% of that is based on population, school size, and how good the team was when your grandfather watched football because that's the "golden age" of college football. That's a blue blood. TV money is the critical requirement. Being good at football right now is irrelevant to being a blue blood.

Right now ISU's national brand is "terrible at football, small state, who cares".

KSU was the same (worse actually). Snyder put them on the map for like 20 years. They still are not anywhere close to a blue blood. They will never have the population factor, neither will ISU.

Nebraska succeeded despite low population, but they had to win several national titles over decades to do it. They are still a blue blood despite sucking at present. See: Alabama in the 90s.

So to answer the question- for ISU to become a "blue blood", it will take multiple national titles over the next 20-30 years.

• Winner
Reactions: jackrabbit

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Blue blood -- think about it this way. Was Mich State a blue blood in MBB 20 years ago?

Long stretch of high-level success, some conference titles, coupled with at least one shot at a playoff in that span, and you have built that resume.

The crazy thing is, I think Coach Campbell has at least laid the foundation for this starting here at Iowa State. Why can't he have all that if he stays here and keeps going? The culture is already here, and as far as I can tell, we are giving him everything he wants and needs to be successful here.

Also, I think a big part of this equation is Jamie Pollard and Coach's relationship with and respect for JP. I think as long as Pollard is here, there is a high probability that Coach Campbell stays here. If you listen to Campbell talk on shows and interviews, he places the highest value on culture and the stuff behind the scenes. This is not easy to replicate and doesn't automatically come along for the ride with the increased prestige and resources at a program like FSU.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Totally depends on the franchise. Cowboys have stuck with Garret, Steelers, Seahawks, until last year Bengals and green bay. Not ever team is like the Jet, Vikings, Lions, always searching for the next big thing.

But the Browns aren't one of those stick with it franchises, hell they fired Bellicheck

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
But the Browns aren't one of those stick with it franchises, hell they fired Bellicheck

And may fire their coach after 1 year. And the Jets had to come out and say they weren't firing Adam Gase after 1 year. Why would Campbell want to be part of that?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
It says Campbell is intrigued by Florida St, or so they are told.

I would bet a LARGE sum of money that no one knows that.

Remember MATT CAMPBELL DOESN'T HAVE AN AGENT. And he most certainly isn't putting feelers out there to media about openings mid-season. Zero percent chance.

Ultimately Florida State MAY intrigue him but there is 0% chance a guy from 247 sports knows anything about what Matt Campbell is thinking.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I would bet a LARGE sum of money that no one knows that.

Remember MATT CAMPBELL DOESN'T HAVE AN AGENT. And he most certainly isn't putting feelers out there to media about openings mid-season. Zero percent chance.

Ultimately Florida State MAY intrigue him but there is 0% chance a guy from 247 sports knows anything about what Matt Campbell is thinking.

It talks about him not having an agent and that they would have to wait until after the season to talk to him. I'm guessing the guy from 247 has a source connected to the search committee.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There’s absolutely no point in worrying about any of this since there’s nothing we can do and none of us know anything about what campbell is thinking or wants.

But....it will be nice when the coaching searches are over. And it would be nice if we can hang onto Campbell for more than 4 years.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Bama - 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992
USC - 1928, 1931, 1932, 1939, 1962, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1978

Exactly.
Some say FSU isn’t prestigious because of very recent seasons. Well, Bama went through an equally bad stretch, and USC even worse.

That’s also ignoring that success decades ago in a different college football construct, may not be relevant. With the population shift and modern recruiting advantages, FSU is as good as job as any. A Saban quality coach will win titles there.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Was Bama a top-10 job prior to Saban? USC prior to Carroll?

Its only problem is it’s an ACC school in SEC land. But it’s set up to be the OU of the ACC.
I live in Florida. Big fan support for Miami and UF, FSU it's essentially an after thought down there. Even Florida Atlantic and Central Florida are better programs than the Noles.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I live in Florida. Big fan support for Miami and UF, FSU it's essentially an after thought down there. Even Florida Atlantic and Central Florida are better programs than the Noles.
Didn’t you move?

I spend several months in FL and that is a false portrayal. Given the ridiculous nature of your comments, you didn’t get out much. FAU? Lol.

Florida is #1, and has an inherent advantage due to proximity, but FSU isn’t necessary little bro. Even if it is, it could still survive well enough to be a top football job. Miami is nearly an afterthought in terms of actual fans outside a Miami. It’s closer to being the Drake of Florida, than it is having equitable support. The “startups” have eroded all 3 of the P5’s T-shirt fan support somewhat, but mostly Miami’s, which used to function as “the alternative”.

The major metro areas have large transient populations that support teams from the Midwest and East, too, so it’s different than Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Didn’t you move?

I spend several months in FL and that is a false portrayal. Given the ridiculous nature of your comments, you didn’t get out much. FAU? Lol.

Florida is #1, and has an inherent advantage due to proximity, but FSU isn’t necessary little bro. Even if it is, it could still survive well enough to be a top football job. Miami is nearly an afterthought in terms of actual fans outside a Miami. It’s closer to being the Drake of Florida, than it is having equitable support. The “startups” have eroded all 3 of the P5’s T-shirt fan support somewhat, but mostly Miami’s, which used to function as “the alternative”.

The major metro areas have large transient populations that support teams from the Midwest and East, too, so it’s different than Iowa.

you are very defensive about Florida state.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

That is dumb. The Noles are a National brand. That is why people in Iowa are talking about them. You think we care if Florida Atlantic fires their coach? You think we would be worried bout Campbell going to Florida Atlantic or Central Florida? It's laughable. The Noles have several national championships and a few bad years. They have very recent success and long periods of it. Take the Hurricane glasses off for a minute man.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
you are very defensive about Florida state.
That’s false, but you’re incapable of not being emotional about these things. Relax, my response to his inaccurate description of college football in FL has nothing to do with CMC.

He had FSU as an afterthought, even alluding to FAU being better in some sense than FSU. That’s very far from reality. Do you feel otherwise?

• Winner
Reactions: Drew0311

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Blue blood -- think about it this way. Was Mich State a blue blood in MBB 20 years ago?

Long stretch of high-level success, some conference titles, coupled with at least one shot at a playoff in that span, and you have built that resume.

The crazy thing is, I think Coach Campbell has at least laid the foundation for this starting here at Iowa State. Why can't he have all that if he stays here and keeps going? The culture is already here, and as far as I can tell, we are giving him everything he wants and needs to be successful here.

Also, I think a big part of this equation is Jamie Pollard and Coach's relationship with and respect for JP. I think as long as Pollard is here, there is a high probability that Coach Campbell stays here. If you listen to Campbell talk on shows and interviews, he places the highest value on culture and the stuff behind the scenes. This is not easy to replicate and doesn't automatically come along for the ride with the increased prestige and resources at a program like FSU.
Thank you all for your replies. While I surmised the same as you, I believe in the end it all comes down to 'marketing'. And while 'winning' is the most powerful tool for marketing, it's far from the only one. Look at Oregon. A bulletin board in New York and soon after Pac-12 Champions and they're now considered 'elite'. I believe JP has the mind it takes and I believe he's hired the right people. For our part we need to do what 'we' can do to keep the ball rolling in the right direction. And, that is NOT to be negative, doubters, or protagonists. It's to be supportive, loyal, and forever true!

Reactions: BACyclone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That’s false, but you’re incapable of not being emotional about these things. Relax, my response to his inaccurate description of college football in FL has nothing to do with CMC.

He had FSU as an afterthought, even alluding to FAU being better in some sense than FSU. That’s very far from reality. Do you feel otherwise?

where exactly have I been emotional about this?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

How is having to have lived through ill-informed individuals on this forum throwing out comments “guaranteeing” Hoiberg wouldn’t leave while listing out all the reasons why they were right….only to find out they were living in a fantasy world and really had zero clue.

Is that "living in the past" or rather, questioning the credibility of anyone on the forum claiming they know better than anyone else what drives CMC to stay or go?

How about this?

Fool me once….

Last edited: