ISU vs Iowa

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Could be. I am more bullish on Gremmel this year than most, and also probably not as high on Shapiro as some are.
I am not the expert on this board by any stretch but is it just me or is Mackall ranked a little higher than he probably should be? I think hes tough but I've seen him get disassembled a couple times and it just seems like he's a little further away from being a top 10 guy than what his ranking shows.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I am not the expert on this board by any stretch but is it just me or is Mackall ranked a little higher than he probably should be? I think hes tough but I've seen him get disassembled a couple times and it just seems like he's a little further away from being a top 10 guy than what his ranking shows.

I think Mackall is probably a little overrated at 7th, but not by much. He is a very good wrestler that looks to have improved from last year when he made the R16. I'd still probably have him in the 10 to 12, but really 7-12 at a lot of weights is very interchangeable.

Reactions: jkbuff98

Andegre

Mar 6, 2014
Protect his seeding would be my guess but I never know why coaches like Brand duck kids
How is that protecting his seed/rank? If he (Wilcke) is already ranked below him, what does it hurt him if he wrestles and loses? He only has something to gain by wrestling. To me, it tells me it's one of two things (or both), 1) Light a fire under Wilcke because they want him to score more/be more active, and 2) Brands is catching up at a significant rate, so see what he does against worthy opponents.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
How is that protecting his seed/rank? If he (Wilcke) is already ranked below him, what does it hurt him if he wrestles and loses? He only has something to gain by wrestling. To me, it tells me it's one of two things (or both), 1) Light a fire under Wilcke because they want him to score more/be more active, and 2) Brands is catching up at a significant rate, so see what he does against worthy opponents.

Not sure I'm following on protecting Cash's seed/rank? Who said that?

I personally think it's reason #1 in your post above.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

I agree that it is likely a motivational tactic for Wilcke. From an Iowa State perspective, I would feel more confident about Colbray vs Wilcke. I would be slightly concerned about Brands pace and Colbray's gas tank this early in the season.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

He's ranked two spots higher. It's not like it's an unranked kid vs a top 3 kid. I hope Wilcke goes but I'm guessing Brands ducks Colbray again and protects Wilcke from getting the L

Sturge34

Oct 28, 2019

It was mentioned earlier in the discussion. Mute point by someone who claims Brands ducks matches. I agree with everyone above that it has to be for motivation. Maybe Brands will be the better wrestler this year.
On another note I am super stoked for the matches 141-157. Should be highly entertaining.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
It was mentioned earlier in the discussion. Mute point by someone who claims Brands ducks matches. I agree with everyone above that it has to be for motivation. Maybe Brands will be the better wrestler this year.
On another note I am super stoked for the matches 141-157. Should be highly entertaining.

JFC, Twins. The guy infects every thread he touches. Wrestling conversations use to be safe and relatively civil until he decided to Google "college wrestling."

He must be extra lonely and in need of attention.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Agree, will be fun to watch. Entire country interested in Carr v. Young.

• Agree
Reactions: Andegre

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
JFC, Twins. The guy infects every thread he touches. Wrestling conversations use to be safe and relatively civil until he decided to Google "college wrestling."

He must be extra lonely and in need of attention.

Haha I LOVE him. The mental gymnastics in his posts are fantastic. The rationalization around how a loss to someone projected to be seeded higher hurts a seed was top notch.

Reactions: CyTwins

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
If we win the coin toss, what weight should we start at? My suggestion is 141. Forces Brands to make a decision about what weight Desanto wrestles at right away. 141-157 are all winnable matches and if everything breaks right we would be up 9-0. Should help Todd recover better from the one hour weigh in as well as he would be the last match. Intrigued to see the amount of gamesmanship that could be displayed by both coaching staffs on Sunday.

Andegre

Mar 6, 2014
If we win the coin toss, what weight should we start at? My suggestion is 141. Forces Brands to make a decision about what weight Desanto wrestles at right away. 141-157 are all winnable matches and if everything breaks right we would be up 9-0. Should help Todd recover better from the one hour weigh in as well as he would be the last match. Intrigued to see the amount of gamesmanship that could be displayed by both coaching staffs on Sunday.
IMO, you start with 165. Because that then leaves the final bout up to Carr. It's what the fans want, and definitely what Carr/Dresser want. I'm SUPER high on him, drafted him [early] in MANY of my leagues.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
No determined day of dual. The rule just changed, but I believe there’s a coin flip. Whoever wins has choice where to start.

There are multiple ways to get there.

If the coaches agree on a starting weight, there's still a coin flip for odd/even after the intros.

If the coaches don't agree on a starting weight, there's a flip after weigh-ins. Winner can choose either starting weight or odd/even. Loser gets the remaining choice.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I see the logic here but if the the thing is close and still winnable (Albeit a long shot), I think you wanna have a more seasoned guy out there to go get the victory.

losinglion100

Jan 11, 2018
Start at 149 to get things started. Carr wins. Pick up at least 1-2 more wins thru heavy. Hope they send out Cashman at 125. Small shows how good he can be. Desanto bumps 141 and Parker wins last match. Place goes nuts.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
125 Lee dec. Mackall
133 Glynn dec. Small
141 Parker dec. Desanto
149 Degen dec. Lugo
157 Carr dec. Young
165 Bull fall Straw
174 Kem maj. dec. Coleman
184 Colbray dec. Wilcke
197 Warner maj. dec. Shapiro
285 Cass maj. dec. Grem

You're all probably tired of me saying this but hope I'm wrong!

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
IMO, you start with 165. Because that then leaves the final bout up to Carr. It's what the fans want, and definitely what Carr/Dresser want. I'm SUPER high on him, drafted him [early] in MANY of my leagues.

I don't think that's a good idea. Iowa scores 8-10 points right out of the gate in that scenario, IMHO. I like the 141 idea, though I also recognize that the concept might be a little overblown.

• Agree
Reactions: DrizzyCyclone