All Iowa Football Team---Post Bowl Edition

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Who's fault is it for the OL issues @TRYHARDER ?
As with most issues there is not just 1 factor or individual at fault. Coaching, youth, and injuries all play a role. If the middle of the line had performed better the Hawks would no doubt be in the top 10 instead of ranked 17th. It's been a missed opportunity at a pretty special season. We'd probably be talking about a potential playoff shot in the conference championship game.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
As with most issues there is not just 1 factor or individual at fault. Coaching, youth, and injuries all play a role. If the middle of the line had performed better the Hawks would no doubt be in the top 10 instead of ranked 17th. It's been a missed opportunity at a pretty special season. We'd probably be talking about a potential playoff shot in the conference championship game.
I don't think it all had to do with the middle of the offensive line. The offense as a whole hasn't played well at all this season and it's not just because of the O-line.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I don't think it all had to do with the middle of the offensive line. The offense as a whole hasn't played well at all this season and it's not just because of the O-line.

But the middle of the line was the most glaring in losses to PSU and Michigan. There is no getting around that. Iowa only gave up 10 points and 17 points in those two losses. If their offense would have given them anything, then they would have won those two games. But the middle of the line was completely dominated in both those games.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But the middle of the line was the most glaring in losses to PSU and Michigan. There is no getting around that. Iowa only gave up 10 points and 17 points in those two losses. If their offense would have given them anything, then they would have won those two games. But the middle of the line was completely dominated in both those games.
The offensive line was not to blame for Stanley's 3 interceptions in the Michigan game. The offensive line wasn't to blame for the interception in the Penn State game or the fumble by Sargent. Iowa's middle of the line did not play well in those games, I definitely agree, but other players also made some bad mistakes that hurt them those games as well.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
The offensive line was not to blame for Stanley's 3 interceptions in the Michigan game. The offensive line wasn't to blame for the interception in the Penn State game or the fumble by Sargent. Iowa's middle of the line did not play well in those games, I definitely agree, but other players also made some bad mistakes that hurt them those games as well.

Not saying they didn't, but that was the biggest reason why Iowa lost those two games. They were manhandled against PSU and couldn't pick up the blitz against Michigan. Now granted, those are two pretty good teams as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
As the games played out, if the middle of the line had played better they would have been able to overcome those mistakes. Turnovers always are a factor no doubt. Also, early on, Jackson's play was a little iffy until he got his legs underneath him. He is playing pretty solid now tho.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
As the games played out, if the middle of the line had played better they would have been able to overcome those mistakes. Turnovers always are a factor no doubt. Also, early on, Jackson's play was a little iffy until he got his legs underneath him. He is playing pretty solid now tho.
I do agree and that's what separates the good teams from the great teams and good seasons from great ones. If you have an area that isn't doing well, another area steps up and makes a play that wins the game.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

What injuries? Sounds like a big fail on recruiting by Kirk and Brian

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Holy LOLLOLOOLLLLOL Walmart.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I do agree and that's what separates the good teams from the great teams and good seasons from great ones. If you have an area that isn't doing well, another area steps up and makes a play that wins the game.
That typically is the name of the game for most good teams. The stars need to align to have those type seasons. The Hawks are ok to good with the other parts of the offense but nowhere near dominant enough to overcome the o-line issues. Having somebody like Hockenson back would have definitely helped but that's just the way it goes.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
That typically is the name of the game for most good teams. The stars need to align to have those type seasons. The Hawks are ok to good with the other parts of the offense but nowhere near dominant enough to overcome the o-line issues. Having somebody like Hockenson back would have definitely helped but that's just the way it goes.

Imagine having a bad OL with Jackson and Wirfs plus Iowa fans think Linderbaum is great. That's crazy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Oh my god. Never ever change. Please.

Your never going to the CFP with Nate ******* Stanley as your Quarterback.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Oh my god. Never ever change. Please.

Your never going to the CFP with Nate ******* Stanley as your Quarterback.
Never said we were. But having 1 loss and playing the Buckeyes in the BIG 10 title game would at least have been a shot even though it would be a really longshot.

Help Support Us

Become a patron