Grill

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I'm in the category of: let's not get too excited about anyone who hasn't played that much. Yes, I like what it looks like Grill can bring, especially athletically & shooting - and Jackson too, for that matter - but, he understandably looks programmatic on the halfcourt O at this point. That's not a criticism; he's a newbie; he'll get there, I'm sure. He's got a ways to go on D, too. He can get more comfortable in practice too - doesn't have to only play tons of minutes in games to accomplish this.

On the other hand, how Nixon played last game really concerns me. He did hit some shots - even a couple threes - but he was out of control about every time he drove in the lane. Thankfully, that team wasn't adept at drawing charges. Also, I've not seen the D he was supposed to bring. I've heard he was good at Oregon State, but he wasn't on Tues. night.

I trust Prohm. I have no problem if he starts getting both Jackson and Grill more time, and taking some away from Nixon. Whatever's deserved. I just think the Grill-is-awesome-right-now train needs to slow a bit.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm in the category of: let's not get too excited about anyone who hasn't played that much. Yes, I like what it looks like Grill can bring, especially athletically & shooting - and Jackson too, for that matter - but, he understandably looks programmatic on the halfcourt O at this point. That's not a criticism; he's a newbie; he'll get there, I'm sure. He's got a ways to go on D, too. He can get more comfortable in practice too - doesn't have to only play tons of minutes in games to accomplish this.

I trust Prohm. I have no problem if he starts getting both Jackson and Grill more time, and taking some away from Nixon. Whatever's deserved. I just think the Grill-is-awesome-right-now train needs to slow a bit.
You’re missing context imo. It’s not a Grill-is-awesome-right-now train. Can you even find a post that says anything like that?

It’s a Grill-has-upside-that-we-need-to-develop-ASAP train, with that upside being more within reach than previously thought. Nothing more than people excited about a promising freshman. No need to slow that.

Regardless of how high one is on Grill’s current play, we’re going to need good guard minutes off the bench. It’s beneficial to expedite his (and Jackson’s) growth now, when the costs of such minutes are lower.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You’re missing context imo. It’s not a Grill-is-awesome-right-now train. Can you even find a post that says anything like that?

It’s a Grill-has-upside-that-we-need-to-develop-ASAP train, with that upside being more within reach than previously thought. Nothing more than people excited about a promising freshman. No need to slow that.

Regardless of how high one is on Grill’s current play, we’re going to need good guard minutes off the bench. It’s beneficial to expedite his (and Jackson’s) growth now, when the costs of such minutes are lower.

Grill and Jackson need to round into shape big time. I think that they both have good potential down the line, but we're going to need them sooner than that. They look a little lost out there now. They are pretty much our only back court depth and if someone gets hurt, one of them is going to be starting.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Grill and Jackson need to round into shape big time. I think that they both have good potential down the line, but we're going to need them sooner than that. They look a little lost out there now. They are pretty much our only back court depth and if someone gets hurt, one of them is going to be starting.
I think Zion starts at the 3 before either of the freshman would.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think both of them have faired nicely so far. They will continue to grow the more they play and understand the speed of the game. You have to give freshman time to get their feet under them.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Small sample size, but Caleb seems to be in the right spot at the right time. Does all the little things right. I like his game.

No offense but I love how good white guy players always get this compliment. I bet he hustles when he is out there also. haha

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think Zion starts at the 3 before either of the freshman would.
Why’s that?

For better or worse, they look no more lost than a couple starters.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Why’s that?

Strictly based on his experience so far. I think they would all see an uptick in minutes if Nixon or Bolton gets hurt, but I think Zion would get the first opportunity to start. He has played with a lot of energy on the offensive boards (and defensive). He also looks like he is still trying to catch up to some of the speed of the game, but has impressed me so far.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Strictly based on his experience so far. I think they would all see an uptick in minutes if Nixon or Bolton gets hurt, but I think Zion would get the first opportunity to start. He has played with a lot of energy on the offensive boards (and defensive). He also looks like he is still trying to catch up to some of the speed of the game, but has impressed me so far.

I’d bet the house that if a guard went down, Grill or Jackson would start over Zion. I don’t see Zion getting any time at the three with two bigs like Jacobson and Young. If Zion could play the three this year, we probably would have seen a little of that lineup imo. Have we ever subbed in Zion to play along two bigs?

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’d bet the house that if a guard went down, Grill or Jackson would start over Zion. I don’t see Zion getting any time at the three with two bigs like Jacobson and Young. If Zion could play the three this year, we probably would have seen a little of that lineup imo. Have we ever subbed in Zion to play along two bigs?
I do not think we've seen that lineup, but it could be in the cards somewhere depending on matchups. The more I think of it, the more I agree that Grill would probably start at the 3 if someone happened to go down. Hoping that does not happen this year and it's smooth sailing as far as injuries go.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
No, but at the same time I think Prohm likes that big man line change he has been going with. I don't know if that would change if an injury happened or not.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well, he does. He’s also athletic.

I actually see Grill as more the "great pure athlete with high upside, somewhat raw, might need some time to refine his game" archetype. Normally you think a young White man from Kansas is the "gets the most out of his abilities" type, but I think Caleb is really the opposite. I think Grill (and Jacobson, for that matter) cut against some of the racial stereotypes you typically see about the relative levels of skill and athleticism.

Of the two, Jackson is the one coming into the program with perhaps more skill, experience, and shooting ability but probably a lower ceiling due to his smaller size and lower athleticism. I think we are going to be glad we have both the next four years.

• Agree
Reactions: Kurttr

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006

I don't know that our thoughts are all that different, then. Maybe it comes down to my belief that he can grow quite a bit by the practices that will keep stacking up for him on the experience front. If I'm focused purely on game-time right now, I'd put Jackson ahead of Grill re: being ready to contribute in all aspects. If Jackson can step up and hit his shot like I expect - based on HS - he'll be contributing well. Grill will keep progressing and can contribute also.

If we can get Bolton hitting some threes and these two frosh continue to grow, our guard court can come along nicely. I am concerned about how Jacobson's playing. Seems to me that George & Solo are clearly our best two bigs right now. Can they effectively play together? I realize that's far away from four- or five-out, so not sure if we could swing it. I like the effort and potential shooting Zion brings so wouldn't change his time, but I'd like to see more each of Solo & George...is that doable?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
What has Jackson shown that Grill hasn't?

I like both, but Grill has looked better than Jackson, no?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I don't know that our thoughts are all that different, then. Maybe it comes down to my belief that he can grow quite a bit by the practices that will keep stacking up for him on the experience front. If I'm focused purely on game-time right now, I'd put Jackson ahead of Grill re: being ready to contribute in all aspects. If Jackson can step up and hit his shot like I expect - based on HS - he'll be contributing well. Grill will keep progressing and can contribute also.

If we can get Bolton hitting some threes and these two frosh continue to grow, our guard court can come along nicely. I am concerned about how Jacobson's playing. Seems to me that George & Solo are clearly our best two bigs right now. Can they effectively play together? I realize that's far away from four- or five-out, so not sure if we could swing it. I like the effort and potential shooting Zion brings so wouldn't change his time, but I'd like to see more each of Solo & George...is that doable?

Right now Jackson has earned the first guard off the bench role in practice, that is why he played 20 minutes vs Ore St. and Grill didn't play. I get the feeling once Tre hits a couple of 3's he'll get his confidence and shoot well their rest of the year and very solid in that role. I do think the staff is willing to give Grill a chance for early minutes, he was the guard off the bench on Tuesday, though I think that was more it was Prohm experimenting rather than a change in the plan. I see Grill getting 10-15 min a game by the conference season but right now he is swimming a bit. He works hard and shown to be a P5 player, but is still raw. This is Caleb's first year of playing BBall full time and he wasn't on the AAU circuit full time due to track etc thus the he's a bit behind other freshman entering this level. Grill and Jackson both have flashed early and that is a great sign moving forward especially 3 game in but I am with most that they still need to be eased in.

Watching the game on Tuesday I had the thought that Conditt starting is imminent. I am not sure if Solo and MJ have been told by the staff or simply can sense it will be happening soon. I almost wanted to say they were auditioning to the to play next to George, Solo definitely had the better game show a bit of a jump shot and much better defense/rebounding. We shouldn't forget Jacobson has shown some ability to hit the three last year but unless he can show it in the next few games I would like a Solo Conditt front court to see if it could work.

• Agree
Reactions: Kurttr

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron