MSU fans discussing new coach. Campbell on their shortlist. Funny stuff

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Those exact same arguments were used on the Hoiberg threads by people to support why he wouldn't leave for the Bull's job. I'm not saying he is leaving...but history has already proven that plenty here on the forum were foolish (maybe naive is better label) in that scenario...in in that instance, you had an Ames native, ISU grad, parents in Ames, twins in the school system, etc. etc. etc.

I'm going to toss out -- Color you naive (rather than foolish). Sometimes it feel like people have already forgotten recent history.
I think people wanted Fred to be that guy, but Matt actually is that guy. If he leaves, he leaves. I'm over it, after Fred.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don’t have much to add. Campbell seems happy here, and appears to be a guy who wouldn’t want to leave before he considers the job done. As great as he’s done here, he knows he hasn’t accomplished what he could yet. But sometimes you just get an offer you can’t refuse.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why in the hell would he take Iowa State? Sure it’s a nice school with a rabid fan base (kind of like Cleve?) but has pretty much been a career ender (at the highest levels) for the previous 4 coaches (Does Chizik even count?). This program was a hot garbage mess when he took it over.

In college he is the coach, GM and owner. In the NFL he is not. Plus there is good leadership at ISU. Add to that Cleveland has been through how many coaches the last 15 years? How many QBs? How many top five picks that are busts?

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Why in the hell would he take Cleveland? Sure it is his team but it is a career ender for most coaches. That organization is a mess.

What do you think everyone in The country says about isu? We are the Cleveland browns of the college football world (minus the last 3 years).

Ok, isu isnt kansas or rutgers, but not far behind from a national perspective. (Minus the last 3 years).

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
NFL coaches don't usually last long unless they are Billicheck. Even really good coaches aren't in the same spot for more than 5 years very often. Obviously, a fired NFL coach would have his pick of a lot of college jobs, but that's two moves in a 5 year span. There's a lot to be said about stability. I feel like even if Campbell is open to leaving, he's only going to go to a spot that he feels like he could stay for 15 years. It's not going to be outside of the Midwest either. I think that he's here for quite awhile unless conference realignment screws ISU.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
NFL coaches don't usually last long unless they are Billicheck. Even really good coaches aren't in the same spot for more than 5 years very often. Obviously, a fired NFL coach would have his pick of a lot of college jobs, but that's two moves in a 5 year span. There's a lot to be said about stability. I feel like even if Campbell is open to leaving, he's only going to go to a spot that he feels like he could stay for 15 years. It's not going to be outside of the Midwest either. I think that he's here for quite awhile unless conference realignment screws ISU.
Totally depends on the franchise. Cowboys have stuck with Garret, Steelers, Seahawks, until last year Bengals and green bay. Not ever team is like the Jet, Vikings, Lions, always searching for the next big thing.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What do you think everyone in The country says about isu? We are the Cleveland browns of the college football world (minus the last 3 years).

Ok, isu isnt kansas or rutgers, but not far behind from a national perspective. (Minus the last 3 years).
I see what your saying here and agree to a degree. However, those aren’t apples to apples and what it looked like to get us back on track vs what things and work he would have to do to get the browns on track are two completely different things. I’m not even talking about which one is harder I’m just saying they are very different things.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Regarding those of you talking about Fred, I always assumed it was known that he had aspirations of being an NBA head coach. Even when he was in the front office with the Timberwolves, I thought insiders were reporting that he wanted to get in to the NBA.

I always believed that the reason he took the Iowa State job, was to get that experience so he could jump to the NBA. Which is ultimately what happened. Even before he took the Bulls job, I think people on this website said he had interviewed for some NBA jobs a season or two before he eventually took the Bulls.

I guess what I am saying is that Fred had a goal to going to the NBA, Iowa State was just a stepping stone for him to do that. His wife, like a lot of girls I met at ISU, had aspirations of getting out of Iowa too (Chicago, Twin Cities, other big cities). She seems to be no different than them.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010

I understand what you're saying but I think the important part of your statement is the "Minus the last 3 years". CMC has built this program to respectability where we are far beyond KU and Rutgers. I've noticed that even the national media now treats the program with respect without adding a caveat about how traditionally poor it has been.

I do think CMC will leave eventually but as others have said, it will be to a blue blood - probably in the big 10/ohio valley area and probably not until after Purdy is gone.

• Winner
Reactions: isudoc03

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
Hate playing What If games, but always wonder what the present would look like if Fred stayed at ISU one last year (Niang's Senior Season) then left for the NBA taking the Timberwolves gig (RIP Flip). I would bet Fred would still be the coach of the Twolves as they had a better roster for his style and Bulls front office is a disaster. But then we likely wouldn't of gotten Prohm.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Most coaches want money, or to reach the highest level of success possible, or both. CMC strikes me as different.

I suspect (and hope) that what CMC really wants is to preach and live the Mount Union gospel - love of football, love of the process/craft/art of football, and helping young men grow up. That's the culture at Mt Union even moreso than winning. I think that is what he wants, obviously I don't know him or his heart.

Not sure at all that there are many places that would mesh with that vision; I really don't think FSU does - they want success at cost and that doesn't strike me as something CMC would want. ISU does fit.

Others have said similar in this thread, I am just stating it differently I suppose. And maybe this is just me being optimistic, but is doesn't seem impossible to think CMC might want to build a P5 version of Mt Union. More than he wants money or fame or a blueblood trophy job.

Reactions: motorcy90

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I think people wanted Fred to be that guy, but Matt actually is that guy. If he leaves, he leaves. I'm over it, after Fred.

I am over Hoiberg too. I'm just pointing out that people on the forum (who really had zero insight...other than their own personal feelings/desires), would chastise anyone suggesting Hoiberg might actually leave.

It just seems many have a short memory . Can't we just admit we don't know (instead of pretending we have some insight) and just enjoy Campbell as long as we have him?

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Most coaches want money, or to reach the highest level of success possible, or both. CMC strikes me as different.

I suspect (and hope) that what CMC really wants is to preach and live the Mount Union gospel - love of football, love of the process/craft/art of football, and helping young men grow up. That's the culture at Mt Union even moreso than winning. I think that is what he wants, obviously I don't know him or his heart.

Not sure at all that there are many places that would mesh with that vision; I really don't think FSU does - they want success at cost and that doesn't strike me as something CMC would want. ISU does fit.

Others have said similar in this thread, I am just stating it differently I suppose. And maybe this is just me being optimistic, but is doesn't seem impossible to think CMC might want to build a P5 version of Mt Union. More than he wants money or fame or a blueblood trophy job.

At ISU, it seems like the fanbase is patient and appreciates a coach taking ownership for when things don't go well...I just don't see that kind of patience at FSU, Notre Dame etc. and those types of places feel like a circus.

For the idea that people think his family wants bigger and better....there's also the thought that maybe some people actually be content with a simpler lifestyle.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

You’d have point if we were trying to lure present day CMC back in 2015. In 2015 he was a young G5 coach with a nascent resume that inherited a good program. Moving to a struggling P5 for millions more is standard.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Im sure he does want those things but you can’t have that at this level and still be like 8 time national champions like you can at a place like Mt Union which is smaller than my high school. He’s already chosen a different route with different characteristics that he accepted by choosing that path.

• Dislike
Reactions: isudoc03

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I am over Hoiberg too. I'm just pointing out that people on the forum (who really had zero insight...other than their own personal feelings/desires), would chastise anyone suggesting Hoiberg would might actually leave.

It just seems many have a short memory . Can't we just admit we don't know (instead of pretending we have some insight) and just enjoy Campbell as long as we have him?
We're taking about predominantly white people here. If we white people had a super power it would be whining.