NBA: **Cyclones in the NBA and G-League, 2019-2020

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The other x factor for THT is Lebron. I’m interested to see if he starts taking the time to mentor younger guys like THT in the coming years (maybe not this year as they’ve got a great shot at the title) as that is not something I feel like he really had to a certain extent when he came in to the league.
That definitely would not be a negative hahah

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Not many highlights for Cyclones in the NBA on Wednesday night. Matt was not in the rotation for the Raptors and got 2 garbage minutes in.

Georges Niang has been the 10th man in a 9-man rotation but did get some 3rd quarter action. Andrew Wiggins fouled him like a Jayhawk in the act of shooting and Georges made 1 of 2 FT for his only point in 5 minutes. Then Georges fouled Wiggins on the other end in the act of shooting in a show of Big 12 solidarity.

The Raps and the Jazz both won.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I checked the box score and Lindell Wigginton had the better stat line and his team got the W vs. Talen Horton-Tucker's G League team tonight. Wiggy didn't start but got starter minutes (26) and went off for 25 points (9-18 FG, 7-12 3PT),. He also had 6 AST and 4 TO.

Talen had a cold shooting night (4-15) and scored 11 points.

Lindell's stroke looks good on this 3:

One of THT's limbs-everywhere contested lay-ups (and also the only palm tree graphic associated with Central Iowa that you'll see today):

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and RoseClone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte's stats weren't great but the Nuggets beat the Rockets and held that powerful offense below 100 points so I'm sure he'll take that. His stats were 15 MIN, 3 PTS, 1-5 FG, 0-1 3PT, 4 REB, 2 AST and 1 TO.

Ben McLemore was 2-7 from 3 for Houston. I bet he banked both of his makes.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
There´s a limited slate of games tonight in the NBA so no Cyclones are in action. It´s weird to not have anyone to follow tonight - kind of what Hawkeye fans are used to experiencing with their former players :)

OKC, Denver and Utah are all in action on Friday night.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Nice feature on Naz. I really like the part where they say he was part of 3 conference championships while at Iowa State.

"(Naz) had several offers of a two-way contract over the summer, and some lucrative ones overseas. College teammate Will Clyburn leaned on him hard to join a team in Russia, for example. But he bet on himself by signing with an NBA team again, and chose the Pacers."

Interersting blurb from that article - Clyburn, who is out for the year with a horrific injury, was recruiting him. Will has been playing in the EuroLeague with a high-level Russian team. That's the next step down from the NBA and you can make $300k - $500k on team like that, I would guess. I wonder if there's a point -if he doesn't stick with an NBA team - like at age 27 or 28 when Naz decides to grab some money and have some fun playing overseas.

But I really would like to see him stick and I think he might find his way in the NBA.

Reactions: NWICY and LindenCy

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Meh, not much interesting happened on an individual level for Cyclones in the NBA on Friday. The Jazz managed to not pull away from the GSW; Snyder went 10-deep and Georges got a DNP. The OKC Thunder played the Lakers very tight and with H. Diallo back, Nader and Burton were back to DNPs.

Denver is proving itself to be a deep and good team again and pulled out a narrow win vs. the Celtics (the awesome Kemba Walker went down with a a head/neck injury in that one; I hope he's OK). Monte got a low number of minutes - 10 - and had 4 PTS on 2-4 shooting. He also had a rather un-Monte-like 0 AST and 1 TO.

Toronto and Utah are both in action this evening.

Last edited:
  • Informative

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Me, too. Look at him get his feet down and release that shot on the move. A thing of beauty:

The Raptors are still in action as I post this.

Naz got to dress for Indiana tonight though he has not played.

Reactions: NWICY and CyTwins

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The Raptors' eaked out the W vs. Atlanta and Matt's line was 10 MIN, 4 PTS, 1-3 3PT, 1-2 FT and 1 REB. The dude shot 90% from the line in Spain, how is he 3-5 this year from the line? Small sample size, of course.

But Thomas finished with a +9 and it took until the end of the game before anyone on either team - in this case Fred Van Vleet - passed him with a +11. Yes, that's a flawed statistic but at least Matty Ice was in there for key minutes.

Naz dressed but didn't get in the game for the Pacers, who were wearing their HIckory uniforms. I think they should have run the picket fence for Naz.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and Doc

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
So Georges Niang re-appeared for the Jazz last night in their 10-player rotation. They beat the Pelicans without playing Rudy Gobert and Georges' line was 8 MIN, 2-3 FG, 1-1 3PT, 1 REB and 2 BLK. I have read that maybe Niang hasn't been as assertive on the offensive end this year (which can be hard to do in very short stretches off the bench) so it was good to see him take this catch-and-shoot without hesitation:

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and Cyientist

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
After his playing days, I can see Georges in a media gig. He gets the gig of wishing Jazz fans a happy Thanksgiving:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Man, the Ice Man has expanded his range since his days in Ames;

A great shooter can destroy a defense. I’m playing recball and I’m hedging screens on the P&R and all of a sudden you hear somebody yell “shooter” and a guy like Matt comes of a pin down and gets an open shot.

What a beautiful game.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
A great shooter can destroy a defense. I’m playing recball and I’m hedging screens on the P&R and all of a sudden you hear somebody yell “shooter” and a guy like Matt comes of a pin down and gets an open shot.

What a beautiful game.
I agree 100%. (I'm still hooping in my advanced years and the only thing that gives me any cred with my teenage son - a hoopster - is that I can shoot the rock). I like the NBA so much better in the GS Warriors age that the jump shot is so valued. You still have to be able to guard the best athletes in the world to play on the wing but at least there might be a place for guys like Matt now who are so elite at the J.

Reactions: NWICY and Peter