On That Note: Top of the ‘10s

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'll add to the country songs as I usually do on these...

Probably one of Carrie's more underrated songs even though it did hit #1 on the charts. I think she is at her best when she isn't singing songs that sound more like pop music than they do country:

Chris Stapleton has really grown on me in recent years so I could probably make a whole post just on his songs but this one is probably my favorite of his right now:

So I've maybe mentioned it before I'm a big fan of Big & Rich. Unfortunately the song of theirs that means the most to me was a song from 2007 that was our 1st dance at our wedding in 2009 so it's out of scope here. Of their more recent stuff this one probably is probably one of my favorites:

I'm not a fan of Luke Bryan's newer stuff, like CW I label him douche country but there are some songs (especially early on) I like and I could listen to him more if he started recording more songs like this one. The lyric "I got my dirt road cred when I was twelve
On a no cab tractor hauling them bales" I can relate to because that's pretty much what I was doing every summer from around that age until I no longer lived at home before I graduated college

I'm not a diehard McGraw fan by any means but I like a some of his music. Probably one of my recent favorites of his, especially because I am a fan of his lead guitar Adam Schoenfeld who got his start with Big & Rich and does a lot of studio work on records for a lot of big name artists (wikipedia says he has been featured on over 200 albums and over 30 #1 hits.) The guy has a great sound and also is a song writer.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Guided By Voices
From “Motivational Jumpsuit” (2014)

Tobin Sprout had left the band around ’96, but after returning to the lineup, this LP qualifies as a return to “Classic Guided By Voices,” if there is such a thing.

“Planet Score” (written by Robert Pollard)
Everything you could want in a basic GBV song. Bonus: Video amuses me to no end.

“Jupiter Spin” (written by Sprout)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever

From “The French Press” (2017)
"Julie's Place"
I posted this one in OTN: I Come From a Land Down Under (July 2018). I’m sure I mentioned this at the time: Love the song, but video is a bonus, I totally can relate to the main character. Not only the mechanical ineptitude, but toiling away on the yard when it seems the rest of the world is carefree.

From “Hope Downs” (2018)
Sister's Jeans

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

One More Time was played by WWE in tribute package to the ultimate warrior after he passed unexpectedly. A very good tribute song and another song that really gets me the feels.

Last edited:

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
The Claypool Lennon Delirium
Blood and Rockets: Movement I/Saga of Jack Parsons/Movement II/Too the Moon