Black Friday-What are you buying?

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
except black Friday isn't Thanksgiving so you are really conflating two different things here, aren't you?

I don't recall anyone complaining about corporate America making people work on black Fridays in the past. It wasn't until they decided they also needed to open on Thanksgiving that there seemed to be any of the backlash you mention

Not conflating anything. Black Friday sales start on Thanksgiving at some stores and plenty of people on social media complain every year that it shouldn’t because Thanksgiving is family time only. But not everyone has family to be with and some make shopping part of what they do with their family so the folks complaining should just mind their own business and stop trying to make everyone else conform to their beliefs.

• Disagree
Reactions: simply1 and cyfan92

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Not much for myself; maybe a deal on a good Bluetooth speaker for work since my Sony one crapped out. My kids both need new tablets so we'll be on the lookout for Amazon Kindles.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Looking for a wireless mesh setup.... any suggestions?

I've had Google Mesh for a couple of years and I get great speeds throughout the house, garage, and yard.

In the past I tried other methods like powerline, multiple routers, etc. and they we're all either slower or a pain in the ass to configure. This Google mesh has been set it and forget it.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Probably going to upgrade from this:

View attachment 68728

Keep hearing that the blackberry is all the rage. Any deals? TIA

Oohhh, check into the Palm Treo w/ the stylus! You will love it!

Image00012.jpg

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Just bought a house so now I have some room for some things and I also need a few upgrades so the list is potentially large:

-Shelving and a bench for the garage and club making
-A new desktop PC or a Surface Pro, probably PC
-Misc. gym equipment
-Other things I see and say "Oh yeah I need that and I'd be losing money not buying it."
Seems like the appropriate place to drop this gem:

Reactions: bear24

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Looking for a wireless mesh setup.... any suggestions?
https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap

I don't have these mesh ap, I've used the UAP-AC-PRO and UAP-IW-HD-US because of the needs I had. These were a suggestion in cable cutting thread. I also have their gateway and switch. I'm guessing the google mesh are great as well, but you can't go wrong with the Ubiquiti stuff.

• Winner
Reactions: NickTheGreat

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm still waiting to see what kind of deals Auto Trader is running. Last year they had some smoking deals on dash mat kits and foot print gas pedals.

• Funny
  • Winner
Reactions: 0u812 and JSmoove

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap

I don't have these mesh ap, I've used the UAP-AC-PRO and UAP-IW-HD-US because of the needs I had. These were a suggestion in cable cutting thread. I also have their gateway and switch. I'm guessing the google mesh are great as well, but you can't go wrong with the Ubiquiti stuff.

I tried looking on the website quick, but didn't see what kind of range one of those would provide. If I have a 1950 SF single story home, would I need more than one?

Same question for anybody with experience with the Google mesh system.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Not conflating anything. Black Friday sales start on Thanksgiving at some stores and plenty of people on social media complain every year that it shouldn’t because Thanksgiving is family time only. But not everyone has family to be with and some make shopping part of what they do with their family so the folks complaining should just mind their own business and stop trying to make everyone else conform to their beliefs.

well by definition...it has to be a "Friday" to be "Black Friday". Just sayin'

Also (and you seemed to missed the point because your concern in your response was for shoppers, not the workers), is that this forces already underpaid and underappreciated retail workers to work a holiday....the one small benefit they used to be able to count on....i.e....having Thanksgiving off.

I worked plenty of retail in high school, college and shortly after. My sense is maybe you haven't or you'd have a bit more consideration for the workers vs the shoppers? A retail/service's industry worker always are having to work weekends, evenings, some holidays already. It is (was) nice to provide them a break like most of us get for major holidays.

It is fine if you disagree. It is a bit of a snowflake mentality that you don't want to hear people suggest on social media that maybe these folks deserve the holiday off....as was essentially the norm for decades.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Also (and you seemed to missed the point because your concern in your response was for shoppers, not the workers), is that this forces already underpaid and underappreciated retail workers to work a holiday....the one small benefit they used to be able to count on....i.e....having Thanksgiving off.

I worked plenty of retail in high school, college and shortly after. My sense is maybe you haven't or you'd have a bit more consideration for the workers vs the shoppers? A retail/service's industry worker always are having to work weekends, evenings, some holidays already. It is (was) nice to provide them a break like most of us get for major holidays.

It is fine if you disagree. It is a big of a snowflake mentality that you don't want to hear people suggest that maybe these folks deserve the holiday off....as was essentially the norm for decades.
Black Friday starts on Thursday, at least as far as brick and mortar stores go.

• Informative
Reactions: capitalcityguy

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Just bought a house so now I have some room for some things and I also need a few upgrades so the list is potentially large:

-Shelving and a bench for the garage and club making
-A new desktop PC or a Surface Pro, probably PC
-Misc. gym equipment
-Other things I see and say "Oh yeah I need that and I'd be losing money not buying it."

Club making, as in golf club?

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

It is fine if you disagree. It is a bit of a snowflake mentality that you don't want to hear people suggest on social media that maybe these folks deserve the holiday off....as was essentially the norm for decades.

Don’t the underpaid retail people get double time for working thanksgiving? It’s a good opportunity to make extra cash for Christmas isn’t it?
But you’re right I never worked retail because I don’t like dealing with aholes or working holidays. Personally I’d be fine if they went back to starting on Friday but you know that won’t happen because $$$$.

• Friendly
Reactions: capitalcityguy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron