*** Official Southern Miss VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
The head coach at southern Mississippi is jay Ladner, eustacheyis working at the student union coffee shop serving up coffee etc... to the students at Colorado state where he was coaching after he left southern Mississippi not sure where doc Sadler went or if he stepped away from coaching

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Found out doc Sadler is now the assistant coach under hoiberg at Nebraska!!

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I would like to see that it is dawning on the team what it needs to do to win. A real commitment to defense. Not just steals and blocks but an understanding of defensive concepts and team defense.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Interesting point...
Haliburton is the best player all around player and that wont change.
Conditt has the highest post ceiling and is the most impactfull of the posts in the first 3 games. He does need to demonstrate an ability to avoid fouls to get the majority of minutes.

If we're looking for highest ceiling, we could add in 3 other potential candidates, Bolton, Griffin and dark horse of Jackson.

I'd actually be surprised if Bolton doesn't lead the team in scoring.
Zion being an ideal small ball PF to pair with Conditt if he can prove strudy on defense in the post.
Jackson for his two way guard skills and highest ceiling of 3 point shooting outcome.

I think we already know Nixon, Jacobson, and Young will give good sound production but not the high end outcomes.

Grill is the teams ultimate wild card and has flashed both highs and lows, I think we could see him impact later in the season but is still adjusting to the college game right now.

I liked your post. Expounding upon it some more...

I agree with you that Haliburton is our best player, and he needs to be an absolute terror to opponents if we are going to hit our ceiling this year.

For this season, I think the next largest wild card is Conditt. I think you see a young big man out there starting to "get it" these past few games. If he can start hitting some of the potential of his size and talent, plus the rather boisterous and swashbuckling style of his play, he could (and we could, too) be very good. I am almost starting to think of him as a replacement to Lard, only better and without the attitude problems, and he has the same problem of fouling too much and needs to work on eliminating the moving screens.

Bolton might lead the team in scoring (or at least be second to Tyrese), but I am not sure he can do as many things to affect the game as a solid PG and C as the last two guys I mentioned. He needs to score and be at least reasonably efficient while doing it, but he is not going to transform the offense or defense like a PG or C can.

I like Jackson and Grill so far, and I look forward to them forming the foundation of our guard corps the next ~3.9 years. I just think they are going to be rotational/bench guys this year, not really taking over any games themselves. One or both of them might be starters next year, however, depending on what TH does, so I hope they develop quickly.

I agree with you on the rest -- veteran guys, solid and dependable, high floors but relatively low ceilings. They are simply known quantities by now. If, for instance, Conditt was clearly outplaying Jacobson and Young, that is not a knock against either of the latter two, given I am sure they are going to turn in at least adequate performances. That would mean that Conditt is surpassing them, which means he is hitting a nice floor himself.

I appreciate Nixon coming here, but I actually hope that Jackson or Grill starts eating into his minutes. That would be a very good sign for the future of the program.

Reactions: FinalFourCy

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Gave Southern Miss a quick look while finishing coffee this morning..

The strength for Southern Miss seems to be their bigs. 6'9" 260 lb senior Boban Jacdonmi is averaging 19 and 9 so far this year. Freshmen forward Artur Konontsuk seems to be their stretch 4 type averaging over 13 a game and shooting 67% from the field. They seem to be a good rebounding team but are also highly turnover prone.

Sounds like a fun night for John and Eric.

• Optimistic
Reactions: maciues

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I can stream anything on the Internet... except this **** Cyclones.tv smh

• Agree
Reactions: GTO