OT: Cord cutting questions

JH4ISU

Mar 27, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Yes, exactly. This is why it is a pain in the butt.

Using the phone can be a pain in the butt. It does work really well with Google Home though, I usually just tell it what channel to turn to and rarely pull up anything on the phone. Even when the receiver and TV are off the chromecast can turn them on/off via hdmi and the Google Home voice commands.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So as an old guy (not super techie, but not an idiot), planning to cut: buying 65” TCL, Roku stick for other TVs & YTTV. From this thread I conclude I will get most Cyclone events & a decent line-up. Change my mind.

Pretty much, with the exception of needing ESPN+ for some Cyclone events, which I have no experience with yet, but is $5/mo and I believe like other streaming services can be ordered/canceled as needed.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
We have two tvs with fire built-in and we've been happy with the overall interface. We don't have YTTV yet but we will soon (we have PS Vue, which is ending).

As cyfanatic alluded to, there is a coupon code to get the 4k stick for $25: 4KFIRETV

(The code might not work for people without amazon prime)

Dumb question...do you think this code will work when the stick goes on sale for $25 for Black Friday? :) Or do you think $25 is the cheapest you can get it?

Reactions: cyfanatic

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
So as an old guy (not super techie, but not an idiot), planning to cut: buying 65” TCL, Roku stick for other TVs & YTTV. From this thread I conclude I will get most Cyclone events & a decent line-up. Change my mind.

I believe so yes. We just bought a 65 inch LG a month ago and next was cutting the cable cord after realizing our bill was now up to over $200 a month. But my main concern was being able to find a device that had as many ISU games as possible. YTTV seems to fit the bill since they have all the ESPN channels, Fox Sports Channels, etc.

We are the same only that we went with Fire Stick because we have several Alexa enabled devices already in the home.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
New question. We were watching YouTube TV through the LG TV app (since the Fire Stick doesn't come until tomorrow). We were watching a show from our library and 23 minutes in it just stopped and after about 30 seconds just started playing an entirely different show.

WTF is that about?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
We have two tvs with fire built-in and we've been happy with the overall interface. We don't have YTTV yet but we will soon (we have PS Vue, which is ending).

As cyfanatic alluded to, there is a coupon code to get the 4k stick for $25: 4KFIRETV

(The code might not work for people without amazon prime)
Has anyone got the code to work? Wife tried and it didnt work and she has Prime.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Has anyone got the code to work? Wife tried and it didnt work and she has Prime.

It worked for me as well...mine is arriving today at $25 (came with 1 day shipping as well). The "black November" sales or whatever event "black Friday" has turned into is supposedly starting Nov 22 so if the code doesn't work you might want to wait until Friday to purchase one.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Got Firestick today and messing around. Watching live tv through the YouTube TV app through the Firstick and there is still a lag time over a minute with the other tv that's still set up through Comcast until we cancel.

I thought getting a device like a Firestick or Roku was supposed to limit this kind of lag time. What are we doing wrong?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Got Firestick today and messing around. Watching live tv through the YouTube TV app through the Firstick and there is still a lag time over a minute with the other tv that's still set up through Comcast until we cancel.

I thought getting a device like a Firestick or Roku was supposed to limit this kind of lag time. What are we doing wrong?
Not singling you out, but why is this such a big issue for so many people?

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I think a lot of people follow Twitter/get texts during live games.

This. If it's 10 seconds, fine. I can deal and understand. But I text a ton with friends and family during ISU games. Being a full two minutes behind of them is insane.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
This. If it's 10 seconds, fine. I can deal and understand. But I text a ton with friends and family during ISU games. Being a full two minutes behind of them is insane.

Ah okay. For some reason I thought the post I quoted was referring specifically to non sports programming. I've noticed at times some "live" programs are ending at like 1 or 2 minutes past the hour sometimes.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
YoutubeTV is the way to go. $50/month

All the ESPN's and Fox sports networks needed to cover all ISU football and most all ISU basketball games.

I've had YTTV for ~6 months. No issues.
I need to do this, I paid 190 last month for DTV because of NFL Sunday ticket

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Someone should come up with an app for this kind of thing, where you can set it to "delay" your apps by whatever time you choose (30 sec, 1 min, 2 min, etc.) and then your texts coming in and social media feeds sync with whatever game you're streaming. And then when the game is over you can turn it off.

• Winner
Reactions: dahliaclone