I'm not a coach but....(playcalling)

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I looked at our offensive possessions in the second half. The first possession we scored on first down with the long bomb to Jones.

Then, we had the lead for the next 4 possessions. During those possessions, we ran the ball 9 of 25 plays (not including punts). All four possessions started with a run play. The first two possessions started with Hall running the ball twice to open the possession. The third possession started with Lang running the ball. The fourth possession started with Hall running the ball.

Once we gave up the lead 21-20, the next possession included 4 passes, a penalty and a punt. The last possession was a mix of passes and runs.

It doesn't seem that the staff stopped feeding Hall the rock in the second half as the OP suggests.

Those were very predictable and Texas was sending a run blitz on almost every 1st down. Keep feeding him the ball but unless you are playing Rutgers, you need to mix it up a little in variety of downs and looks. Predictability is a play callers worst enemy.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
What I demand to know is why the coaches continually refuse to call the touchdown play? Just run the touchdown play every play on offense, and the turnover play every play on defense! I mean I'm not even a coach!

No kidding. Our 75-yard touchdown pass play worked, but then they never went back to that play again! Texas didn't stop the 75-yard touchdown pass play the entire game!

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I think Texas did a good job of adjusting to our run game in the second half. There were a lot of times they stuffed Hall for 0 yards or a loss on 1st down, and then we were in obvious passing situations. Purdy overall played great but there were a few throws, especially in the second half, where he missed a couple of guys here and there and then the drive would stall out.

Defensively on 3rd and 35, you should rarely ever send pressure. You play a prevent type defense that's going to not give up a first down. I understand that Texas made a great play, but there was an obvious hold that wasn't called and if Enyi gets to Ehlinger, he'd be throwing that ball under pressure or it would've been a sack. Our defense played pretty great all things considered. I believe I read we held them to 3-and-outs on 50% of their drives.
My problem isn't playing prevent, it's the personnel we do it with and the way that we do it. Heacock's 3-3-5 has been genius, but we've struggled on passing downs the past two seasons. Some of that is about the horses in stable (Eisworth and Lewis aren't coverage safeties, corner has been up and down), but a larger portion is that the 3-3-5 as Heacock designed doesn't have many ways to mix up coverage. By my untrained eye rewatching the game, we pretty much ran cover 2 sink with a robber all the way down the field at the end of the first half. It's hard to run anything else with the personnel on the field. If you know they're passing, why keep so many linebackers out there? If you're not going to bring more than three, at least get more speed on the field. If they want to run against your light box, let them. Swap Rose and Vance for Bickham and Young or [coverage DB here]. You could move Eisworth and Lewis up as nominal linebackers/nickels, and put Bickham and Young (or whoever) on the backend. Suddenly you can be really exotic. You could blitz from any level, you could drop to any level, you could spy from any level.

This program prides itself on being multiple and recruiting versatility, so let's use it. There's not many ways to mix up drop 8 when three of them are linebackers.

• Informative
Reactions: flycy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My problem isn't playing prevent, it's the personnel we do it with and the way that we do it. Heacock's 3-3-5 has been genius, but we've struggled on passing downs the past two seasons. Some of that is about the horses in stable (Eisworth and Lewis aren't coverage safeties, corner has been up and down), but a larger portion is that the 3-3-5 as Heacock designed doesn't have many ways to mix up coverage. By my untrained eye rewatching the game, we pretty much ran cover 2 sink with a robber all the way down the field at the end of the first half. It's hard to run anything else with the personnel on the field. If you know they're passing, why keep so many linebackers out there? If you're not going to bring more than three, at least get more speed on the field. If they want to run against your light box, let them. Swap Rose and Vance for Bickham and Young or [coverage DB here]. You could move Eisworth and Lewis up as nominal linebackers/nickels, and put Bickham and Young (or whoever) on the backend. Suddenly you can be really exotic. You could blitz from any level, you could drop to any level, you could spy from any level.

This program prides itself on being multiple and recruiting versatility, so let's use it. There's not many ways to mix up drop 8 when three of them are linebackers.
Yeah I agree we probably shouldn't have had 3 linebackers in there during that play, however maybe we were thinking they were going to run a draw of some sort? I'm not sure. What I do know is we broke through their line with 3 d-linemen and they did not call an obvious hold on Enyi which gave their QB more time and the WR's more time to beat the zone coverage.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
The other thing you can try is to force Ehlinger out of the pocket to one side or the other, preferably to his weak arm side. Then you shade all of the zones that direction and run him into the spy.

Heacock does that quite a bit, and did it against Hurts the week prior. There's probably a good reason they didn't.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Maybe it's just me getting older, but I'm just enjoying the ride. It's not always going to be perfect, but damn the last 3 years has been a lot of fun. For the life of me I can't figure out why some people are so negative though. I had someone a row or two behind me at the game that "called" every negative play we had before it happened. When you predict a negative play 100% of the time you're going to be right sometimes. What's the point of it though? And he was mysteriously quiet after the kick went through the uprights.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy I guess. You know, rainbows, unicorns, world peace, that kind of stuff.

In related news, I hate you all.
Confirmation bias is strong with the stupids.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Agree with this 100% but throws and routes were just perfect for the situation. Tip your hat basically.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
No kidding. Our 75-yard touchdown pass play worked, but then they never went back to that play again! Texas didn't stop the 75-yard touchdown pass play the entire game!

The really funny thing was that Jones was absolutely wide open 10 yards down field. It was like they didn't even want to cover him.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The really funny thing was that Jones was absolutely wide open 10 yards down field. It was like they didn't even want to cover him.
He kind of snuck out there underneath in the flat and then got vertical in a chair route. One of favorite routes because if ran alongside the complementary routes like a slant or inside dig it's very hard to cover with a linebacker.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I love these threads. These coaches devote dozens and dozens of hours each week to studying film identifying strength, weaknesses, cues, habits, etc. and we act like they just "forget" to run the ball. Like it just slips their brain that running the ball is allowable. Like Manning is turning to the coach next to him saying "what's that thing called where you don't throw the ball but rather someone tries to simply carry the ball while advancing forward...?"

Just trust that there are people more competent in the game of football than you and I that are making decisions about what plays to call, both offensive and defensive, with those decisions being based on extreme amounts of diligence being done leading up to the game. Sometimes the right play call may not have the intended outcome. Sometimes the right play call is not executed properly. Sometimes they may misread what the opponent is doing. But I have no doubt with Coach Campbell's attention to detail that everything that is done is done purposefully and as the result of extreme preparation.

Except for the Oklahoma State game. I still can't figure that **** out. He may have actually forgotten you can run the ball that time.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I love these threads. These coaches devote dozens and dozens of hours each week to studying film identifying strength, weaknesses, cues, habits, etc. and we act like they just "forget" to run the ball. Like it just slips their brain that running the ball is allowable. Like Manning is turning to the coach next to him saying "what's that thing called where you don't throw the ball but rather someone tries to simply carry the ball while advancing forward...?"

Just trust that there are people more competent in the game of football than you are I that are making decisions about what plays to call, both offensive and defensive, with those decisions being based on extreme amounts of diligence being done leading up to the game. Sometimes the right play call may not have the intended outcome. Sometimes the right play call is not executed properly. Sometimes they may misread what the opponent is doing. But I have no doubt with Coach Campbell's attention to detail that everything that is done is done purposefully and as the result of extreme preparation.

Except for the Oklahoma State game. I still can't figure that **** out. He may have actually forgotten you can run the ball that time.
This deserves a "funny" and a "winner" but I can only give you one.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I have a question - seems like we have actually returned just a handful of punts and seems like we always send 8 guys to unsuccessfully block the punt. Is this just my selective memory? Are we saving our punt return game for the bowl game?

This is not new, they have not tried to return a punt in years, except Iowa. Not surprised at the result considering the lack of practice. My guess is some geeky analysis suggests between block in the back penalties, fumbles, etc. the staff has determined its not worth it. One of the few things I disagree with.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is not new, they have not tried to return a punt in years, except Iowa. Not surprised at the result considering the lack of practice. My guess is some geeky analysis suggests between block in the back penalties, fumbles, etc. the staff has determined its not worth it. One of the few things I disagree with.
I am fine with it. If a team does something poorly, do what causes the least damage. That being said, I was disappointed when with less than a minute left in a half we are content to take the kickoff touchback on a faircatch or kick shallowly into the endzone. That is the place I would think there is little downside to trying to put together a return. If you get stopped short you are taking a knee anyway. If you break something long, you may have a shot to try to get in field goal range or get in Hail, Mary range. The only downside is a returner fumble, but there is the risk of a turnover on every play.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Ok, I have called plays at different levels of high school for way to many years. Anyway, if I knew what defense were going to do then my offenses would of set state records. Unluckily, some plays I have said right before snap, Oh ****, that play is going to suck. Others right before snap I have said, "Holy ****, it should be a touchdown. Other comment after a play. " Wow Jimmy and Joe made good yards out of nothing. Other times, what in the hell was Jimmy and joe thinking. Have I mentioned that decision has to be made in about 15 seconds after tackle or in about 5 seconds if lined up and then looking over after QB clapping hands. OC is not a job for the faint of heart individual. Even when evaluating tape I sometimes say, what the hell was I thinking about when I called that play. Of course I'm in the recliner with a tea and able to replay it ten times.............
.so. Food for thought.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The annoying part of is the seemingly large number of people who apparently aren't smart enough. Had a random fan tell me in the parking lot after the game to not get too excited because that was an ugly game. They then walked away shaking their head.

Yeah, how dare I, as a fan, enjoy a win over Texas, which hasn't happened very often historically, just because the entire game didn't go how we wanted it to. I mean don't the coaches know that they should only call plays that get 10+ yards on offense and stuff every single play that Texas runs! What is wrong with these coaches???!?!

Agree 100%. This is what happens when nothing is good enough for some fans. We take a dumpster fire of a program and could win 8 games three consecutive years (with a few razor close loses and this year could have been 9+). And people complain. These turnarounds don't happen overnight. Enjoy the ride and let's hope coach Campbell and the staff continue to build and we are playing in a B12 title game. Which was almost unthinkable 5 years ago.

Go look at the Texas fanbase. Many are ready to fire Herman after a 10 win season last year and a decent season with close losses this year. How quickly they forget the Charlie Strong years.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Man, you are touchy friend.

Touchy? I think it’s hilarious you don’t think you’re being an idiot!

Just to get this out of the way before the game today ( I didn’t hit “Post”)...

First you post the utter nonsense that Breece didn’t get the ball in the second half.

Then, faced with direct evidence to the contrary, you decided to double down, and now claim that they simply didn’t use him enough in the second half. Supported by vague statistics that you chose to...freely interpret.

Sure, just keep changing your narrative. You’re wrong either way.

And I hate it when people twist facts to meet their own ends.

So, let’s get specific

Breece’s second half carries:

1 for 13 yards (everything looks hunky dory, right?)

1 for 3 yards

1 for -2 yards (maybe this should have been a warning sign?)

*incomplete pass to Breece (not like they weren’t using him)

1 for 8 yards (everything is back on track, right?

1 for -5

*Lang got a series, 2 carries for 10 yards

4th Quarter

1 for 4 yards

1 for -3

1 for 1

1 for 1

1 for 2

So, what about that progression makes you think Breece should have been fed the ball a whole bunch more times?

If it’s any consolation, KU is horrible at rushing defense. Should be a completely different story today.

Oh yeah—iirc, in Big 12 games, we’re currently second in scoring offense, and third in total offense. And I’ll give you a hint—we don’t have the gaudy talent across the board that OU does. So complaining about play calling seems remarkably stupid.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Touchy? I think it’s hilarious you don’t think you’re being an idiot!

Just to get this out of the way before the game today ( I didn’t hit “Post”)...

First you post the utter nonsense that Breece didn’t get the ball in the second half.

Then, faced with direct evidence to the contrary, you decided to double down, and now claim that they simply didn’t use him enough in the second half. Supported by vague statistics that you chose to...freely interpret.

Sure, just keep changing your narrative. You’re wrong either way.

And I hate it when people twist facts to meet their own ends.

So, let’s get specific

Breece’s second half carries:

1 for 13 yards (everything looks hunky dory, right?)

1 for 3 yards

1 for -2 yards (maybe this should have been a warning sign?)

*incomplete pass to Breece (not like they weren’t using him)

1 for 8 yards (everything is back on track, right?

1 for -5

*Lang got a series, 2 carries for 10 yards

4th Quarter

1 for 4 yards

1 for -3

1 for 1

1 for 1

1 for 2

So, what about that progression makes you think Breece should have been fed the ball a whole bunch more times?

If it’s any consolation, KU is horrible at rushing defense. Should be a completely different story today.

Oh yeah—iirc, in Big 12 games, we’re currently second in scoring offense, and third in total offense. And I’ll give you a hint—we don’t have the gaudy talent across the board that OU does. So complaining about play calling seems remarkably stupid.

What was the location of Hall's 2nd half carries? Was it complimenting anything else, or complimented by anything else? Was it off the edge? Out in space?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What was the location of Hall's 2nd half carries? Was it complimenting anything else, or complimented by anything else? Was it off the edge? Out in space?
That was the point of the post. The 13 yard carry was really nice, but no one was complimenting all the one or two yard carries, let alone the losses.

Help Support Us

Become a patron