OT: Cord cutting questions

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm using a Roku Stick and the lag is definitely an issue. I need to do some research on if there's anything I can do about it. The only reason it really matters (to me, anyway) is being on social media or getting texts during live sports.

Yeah, the lag depends on the service and the device.

I've just learned to tweet during commercials.

FWIW, I've found it better to use the ESPN app vs watching ESPN on sling. And whenever I can watch over the air I do that vs stream.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
With Chromecast, there is no remote right? So does that mean when you're using it you have to change channels via your phone/laptop?
If it were me, I'd go with a Roku Express instead of Chromecast. You can get them for $25-$35 and the user interface is much easier.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
We have two tvs with fire built-in and we've been happy with the overall interface. We don't have YTTV yet but we will soon (we have PS Vue, which is ending).

I believe it does now that YTTV updated their interface and features again. I just ordered a Fire Stick 4K a few minutes ago just because I am not thrilled with "apps" offered by LG (and the code allows you to get it for $25). That said I have never even seen a Fire Stick (we have 4 Roku devices in our home) so my wife will point out that I just wanted something else to mess around with!

As cyfanatic alluded to, there is a coupon code to get the 4k stick for $25: 4KFIRETV

(The code might not work for people without amazon prime)

Last edited:
Reactions: cyfanatic

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
yeah we won't be getting that then haha. Fire Stick or Roku I guess. Or is there anything else out there around the same price that's worth looking into

There are a few others, Apple TV being the chief among them, but Apple TV is mush more expensive, but maybe something to look into if you are heavily tied into the Apple ecosystem. Conversely, if you are more into the Amazon stuff, get FireTV, and if you use some of everything like us get Roku.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Just ordered the Fire Stick 4K for delivery tomorrow. Makes most sense since we have a couple Alexa enabled devices in our place.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I have had fire sticks and fireTvs and really prefer them over the roku. The new fire4k stick integrates power and volume into the remote...which is awesome so you only need that remote now. Highly recommended.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I have had fire sticks and fireTvs and really prefer them over the roku. The new fire4k stick integrates power and volume into the remote...which is awesome so you only need that remote now. Highly recommended.

I have rokus and firestick 4ks.

This is where it all comes down to the user's preference. I like the roku interface better because I feel like I don't have to search over a bunch of adds to find the apps and stuff I want and its easier to use with a tv antenna.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have rokus and firestick 4ks.

This is where it all comes down to the user's preference. I like the roku interface better because I feel like I don't have to search over a bunch of adds to find the apps and stuff I want and its easier to use with a tv antenna.

Can the Fire Sticks be powered by USB ports on the TV or do they need to be plugged into an electrical outlet? I like plugging my Roku sticks into the USB ports on my TVs.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Just purchased the Fire Stick 4K and they had a deal for $25 off so we got it for $25. Can't beat that!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and assistance! I'll report back

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
The main reason I chose Roku over fire stick was Disney+. You can't get it on fire sticks but you can on roku or if you want to pony up the money on apple tv.

• Funny
Reactions: jdcyclone19

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
The main reason I chose Roku over fire stick was Disney+. You can't get it on fire sticks but you can on roku or if you want to pony up the money on apple tv.

200.webp

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

The newer Rokus also control TV power and volume from the Roku remote. That was a great addition when it was made.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Playstation Vue guy will be looking for a new home after football season, can't have NFL without RedZone. Do any of the other streaming services allow for Multi-view where you can have up to 4 channels on screen at once? I know the ESPN App allows it as well, but that is nice especially in October with multiple football games and baseball playoffs going on.

I am assuming I will end up on YTTV but Hulu is a possibility. Not a huge fan of google (as I type this on chrome), but not sure there is a better option for a Cyclone fan right now. Since Sony was too stupid to rebrand Vue to Sony Vue, so everyone would stop thinking you need a PlayStation.

• Agree
Reactions: Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
It's not just you, seems like the stream is in 4:3
I'm not too upset about it right now. We cut cords and went to PSVue about a year and a half/two years ago, so we were without WHO. Before leaving, I thought their newscast was one of the best in the area. After getting WHO back, it's really not great. Their overly cheery attitude is nice...but when they've got toothy smileys throughout the entire broadcast, it comes off as insincere and fake. Ed Wilson and Keith are great, but the rest of the team is really cringe inducing.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
If it were me, I'd go with a Roku Express instead of Chromecast. You can get them for $25-$35 and the user interface is much easier.

I liked my Chromecast when I got it, but the Roku sticks are better in every way.

Maybe with the exception of mirroring your laptop screen, that works well on Chromecasts.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Disney+ is available on the Fire sticks

But it is available on Fire Sticks...

I can also confirm this. There was a question at one time whether it would be, but Disney and Amazon came to an agreement (it was a fight over ad revenue).

Yes I was wrong, because up until launch day 11/12 it was not being shown in supported devices, so I was set up before launch because we are going to change from ps vue using playstations in a couple rooms to yttv using roku.

I do like that we can control the tv power and volume with our new roku and it does have the feature you can talk to the remote.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron