MSU fans discussing new coach. Campbell on their shortlist. Funny stuff

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Sorry, I don't think ISU is Campbell's destination job. He came here because of the big salary upgrade, a P5 job, and certainly his comfort level with Pollard.
Campbell may not leave for MSU, but I'd bet he takes the phone call. That school has many things going for it.
I don't understand all the disagrees on this one. I can see Campbell making one more jump, but I don't see him doing lateral moves in the meantime. If he wants to coach a blueblood, he'll absolutely have an opportunity to do so. I hope he doesn't, but it would be hard for anyone to turn down a $6m+ job offer.

I do firmly believe that if/when he jumps, it will be to the destination that he has in mind. Like an Ohio State, or equivalent-level program. And I'll be happy for the incredible work he's done here. This program is viewed as a respectable program.

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don't understand all the disagrees on this one. I can see Campbell making one more jump, but I don't see him doing lateral moves in the meantime. If he wants to coach a blueblood, he'll absolutely have an opportunity to do so. I hope he doesn't, but it would be hard for anyone to turn down a $6m+ job offer.

I do firmly believe that if/when he jumps, it will be to the destination that he has in mind. Like an Ohio State, or equivalent-level program. And I'll be happy for the incredible work he's done here. This program is viewed as a respectable program.

you completely contradicted yourself here.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
BB left WI because it was never his program... Barry Alvarez was always over his shoulder and still had a firm grip on the program. I get why he left WI, he just left for the wrong job.

Bret had a few extracurricular activities that were catching up with him throughout the state of WI. I think there was mutual agreement that he needed to move on because of them.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Okay, finally did a little internet research...

MSU finishes with Rutgers & Maryland so could EASILY get bowl eligible. They beat America's sweetheart Indiana and lost to good teams.

It's a bad season for Dantonio but he hasn't lost this team so far as I can tell and their AD would be stupid to fire him. Matt Campbell will not be coaching at MSU next season.

Carry on.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It's like houses. Iowa State is currently a nice house. Arkansas is a larger run-down house. Yes, if you're able to renovate it Arkansas will be the better house, but you don't know that you'll be successful in renovating it or that you'll get enough time before the bank forecloses

No matter what you do with your house, you will still have the rest of Arkansas as your neighbors!
:eek:

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don't think so. I see him staying here. I'm just able to see a worldview where he doesn't.

im not so naive as to think there aren’t jobs he would take.

you were shocked McCarney man wants him to leave so badly. That he would listen to mich st, people don’t think he will.

you were shocked a guy that has never ever utter the words good coach when discussing Campbell, yet worships the mediocrity that was McCarney and would have pj flecks baby if he could, who supports graham spanier who enable child anal rape at penn st to protect the fb program, would get dislikes.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
im not so naive as to think there aren’t jobs he would take.

you were shocked McCarney man wants him to leave so badly. That he would listen to mich st, people don’t think he will.

you were shocked a guy that has never ever utter the words good coach when discussing Campbell, yet worships the mediocrity that was McCarney and would have pj flecks baby if he could, who supports graham spanier who enable child anal rape at penn st to protect the fb program, would get dislikes.
/shrug I didn't react to the person behind the keyboard; I reacted to the content of that single post.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

That poster's reputation is why he got most of the dislikes I'd guess. He's not an ISU fan, he loves and defends everything Husker and the B1G. He would love it if CMC was no longer here.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere... Dantonio is set to receive a $4.6 million dollar one time retention bonus on January 15 so of course he says he will be back next year. They will have to fire him before that if they want to use that money for another coach's buyout.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
That poster's reputation is why he got most of the dislikes I'd guess. He's not an ISU fan, he loves and defends everything Husker and the B1G. He would love it if CMC was no longer here.
From a quick readthrough of the poster's recent history, he appears to be a professor at ISU and a fan of ISU volleyball. Thanks for the tip, but I'm going to build my own ideas of this poster's reputation.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Bret had a few extracurricular activities that were catching up with him throughout the state of WI. I think there was mutual agreement that he needed to move on because of them.

Wait, this guy:
upload_2019-11-19_14-26-36.jpeg

Cheated on this:

images

??

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

He's eventually going to get to $6M here if he indeed keeps raising the bar, especially if it becomes 9-10+ win seasons. But you are right that he will get a blueblood if he wants to.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not true. He coached at Arkansas 5 years and didn't get it done. That will never be a ****** job. If you think Iowa State is looked at as a better job than Arkansas you are crazy. Now that does not mean they can pull any coach out there. It's not Alabama or Ohio State but it's a damn good job. Guessing Wisconsin fans were not thinking it was a good enough job to rip their coach from them at the time.

It USED TO BE a good job, now, no its not. The next coach at Arkansas gets a yearly schedule with Alabama, aTm, Auburn, LSU, and Mizzu being one of your two yearly crossover game. AK record vs Mizzu is 1-3.
Same population as Iowa, but the state is being raided by the rest of the SEC. When Arkansas was having success, they could move into Texas to get talent, that ended when aTm moved into the conference. Texas kids that want to play in the SEC will do it at aTm, not Arkansas.

The head coach at Arkansas is nothing more than a sideward move for Campbell, he will not be going there.

Last edited: