OT: Cord cutting questions

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
We are sticking with YTTV and getting a Chromecast tonight. I guess the lag is non-existent if you watch sports through the YTTV app on Chromecast.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
That's not us...it happens within 15 minutes that we turn it on. And we are noticing a legit (timed on a stopwatch) lag on live tv for the Chiefs game of over two minutes. YIKES! Might be rethinking this because that is insane. I get even up to 30 seconds but two minutes?!

Are you using the software built into your smart TV?

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
we were yes. but apparently the apps built into the tvs aren't as good as the same devices you can buy. Hence we are trying Chromecast tonight to see how that is.

Yeah, the software that comes with smart TV's is always garbage. I either buy 'dumb' TV's or Roku TV's.

Personally, I would recommend getting a Roku vs Chromecast. I think the whole casting from your phone or tablet is a pain in the butt vs just having the interface native to the device like a Roku or FireTV.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Yep. Sampled cutting the cord twice and by the time you add in all the things to Hulu TV it's going to surpass my TV bill.

Literally might be the only person I've heard their TV is consistently cheaper than streaming. Everything I've ever priced had introductory first year rates comparable or slightly under the streaming services, but year two and beyond are significantly higher (especially when you include any equipment rentals/purchase or storage/recording fees).

I assume you have internet when just using TV (cable/satellite)? Is that cost included in your comparison?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, the software that comes with smart TV's is always garbage. I either buy 'dumb' TV's or Roku TV's.

Personally, I would recommend getting a Roku vs Chromecast. I think the whole casting from your phone or tablet is a pain in the butt vs just having the interface native to the device like a Roku or FireTV.

I'm using a Roku Stick and the lag is definitely an issue. I need to do some research on if there's anything I can do about it. The only reason it really matters (to me, anyway) is being on social media or getting texts during live sports.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree with this. And Fire Stick 4K version is on sale or going to be this week for $25. I have never used a Fire Stick so maybe others can chime in on this but I am going to buy one so I don't have to use the LG built-in version of software anymore...

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Do they make "dumb" TVs anymore? I really don't know. The "smart" sets are so cheap now.

Can a "dumb" set be found?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Yes. For some reason, I'm not sure if it's just me or if it's my AppleTV, but the sides of the screen get cut off on my WHO feed on YTTV. Every other channel is fine.
It's not just you, seems like the stream is in 4:3

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I just use the app on my Sony TV and I can hit the down arrow on the Sony remote and go to recent channels. Can’t believe LG doesn’t support the same.

I believe it does now that YTTV updated their interface and features again. I just ordered a Fire Stick 4K a few minutes ago just because I am not thrilled with "apps" offered by LG (and the code allows you to get it for $25). That said I have never even seen a Fire Stick (we have 4 Roku devices in our home) so my wife will point out that I just wanted something else to mess around with!

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I agree with this. And Fire Stick 4K version is on sale or going to be this week for $25. I have never used a Fire Stick so maybe others can chime in on this but I am going to buy one so I don't have to use the LG built-in version of software anymore...

Does the Fire Stick offer YouTube TV? I can't find anything that says it does.

Reactions: cyfanatic

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
The lag definitely varies depending on the device. We have a TCL Roku TV that is connected via ethernet and the lag is only 25 seconds or so, but our Samsung Smart TV via wifi has about a 60-90 second lag. We also have 3 roku express via wifi that are in-between, usually around 30-45 seconds. The YTTV app on my phone is usually only 20 seconds or so behind, not enough to notice.

• Informative
Reactions: Trice and cyfanatic

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
With Chromecast, there is no remote right? So does that mean when you're using it you have to change channels via your phone/laptop?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron