I'm not a coach but....(playcalling)

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I have a question - seems like we have actually returned just a handful of punts and seems like we always send 8 guys to unsuccessfully block the punt. Is this just my selective memory? Are we saving our punt return game for the bowl game?

• Agree
Reactions: brycy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have a question - seems like we have actually returned just a handful of punts and seems like we always send 8 guys to unsuccessfully block the punt. Is this just my selective memory? Are we saving our punt return game for the bowl game?

I think they tried a punt return vs. Iowa....maybe best not to even try it again.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Here is the pure idiot part right here. Breece got plenty of carries on the second half. He was getting stuffed. Repeatedly. Again and again. When he’s getting stuffed, you don’t keep going with it.

Look at the box score yourself if you don’t believe me. Not gonna do it for you this time.

I stopped reading after that particular bit of foolishness.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Whatever happened to the zone read play, we have Hall and Purdy, lets start using RPO's to get the defense guessing what is coming and giving them headaches trying to defend it.

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
Would love to see you at your job with a camera on you for 8 hours just to see how many questionable calls you make:)

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The blitz call on when they had the ball on our 19 yard line was a head scratcher though. I thought for sure they would pull back. Rose came from the outside, just had to much ground to cover to get there.

That was a screw up by Lewis, he let the running back go right by him, when Rose blitzed. I don't think that Lewis even blitzed, just kind of got caught in no mans land.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUMojoMan

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Yeah, for some reason in short yardage situations and in the opponents red zone, Manning decides to get cute and force a weird play when we should just line up and shove it down their throat. We haven't done that consistently since we had the Lan-Ram package. Trust the O-line when you have momentum.

We're arguing about this because it has been the difference in a few close games.

Getting cute on short yardage has happened way too many times this year. As far as I am concerned there should be only one play: bring in the 3 TEs and give the ball to Hall. After you get a few first downs doing this, then you can get cute and sneak a pass out to a TE or something, but you have to prove you are willing to run right at someone before something like that is going to work.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I watched the 4th quarter live and then watched the first 3 quarters later Saturday night. Our defense was outstanding the first 40 minutes.

When Texas scored their 2 TD's they took advantage of 2 big flaws to the 3-3-5 defense. The potential for zero pass rush, giving a patient QB time to complete 15+ yard passes. Second are big lanes for QB runs, bigger than the norm if rushers loose rush lane integrity. The 3rd flaw is easy passes to the backs.

Our defense has been solid this year, so it is hard to be critical- but could we get a stronger pass rush out of 4 DL. Periodically going with a 4-2-5 on long yardage situations. Giving opposing coaches something else to prepare for.

I also think our DL talent is a strength and we could match our opponent's physicality by rushing 4 d-lineman. It's amazing the DL talent on this team compared to when Campbell was hired.

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
By halftime, rushes and passes were getting about the same yards per play - both about 5.3 yards per play. By the end of the game, Brock was getting 7.4 yards per pass attempt and Breece was getting 4.2 yards per rush. Why would you do more of what was getting fewer yards???

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
By halftime, rushes and passes were getting about the same yards per play - both about 5.3 yards per play. By the end of the game, Brock was getting 7.4 yards per pass attempt and Breece was getting 4.2 yards per rush. Why would you do more of what was getting fewer yards???

Most of the reason that Hall was getting stuffed was that Texas was blitzing their linebackers on almost every play and ISU kept running right into it, instead of going wide with a quick pitch. No matter what, Texas adjusted to what ISU was doing in the run game, so passing was a good solution. I am more concerned about the pass plays in short yardage situations. Just go heavy and run.

• Agree
Reactions: RonBurgundy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't think that Iowa State fans will ever be satisfied by offensive play-calling. Right now it's complaining about not going with what works, like running the ball on third and short. But in the past there's been instances of complaining about being too predictable ...

WhenI get a little agitated when we tilt toward over-passing when rushing game seems effective, I try to step back and remember that exact counter-viewpoint.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
WhenI get a little agitated when we tilt toward over-passing when rushing game seems effective, I try to step back and remember that exact counter-viewpoint.

I'd love it if everyone in the stadium knew that ISU was going to run it with 3 TEs on a 3rd and short, and they picked it up.

Reactions: cyclones500

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
The real question is, does play calling really become that difficult once we get to the 35? Its been a struggle all year. It is almost to the point that if we have 1st and 10 at the 32 you know we are going to kick.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A lot of valid observations in this thread. At times, I'll agree with one post and also agree with a follow-up post that makes a counter-argument to the initial comment. I'm not sure how to interpret that yin/yang feeling, but it's there.

Common theme is this team has so much going for it, we're unable to find a consensus of what details to fix for it to be 9-1 instead of "damn-near 5-5" (or even 4-6).

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Without touching on missed opportunities to score by the offense, defense-exclusive, my dream opponent for this team would be:
(1) hell-bent on establishing and up-the-middle rushing attack.
(2) immobile QB who isn't a serious downfield passing threat.

With that recipe, other than situations when a turnover put the defense in a back-to-the-wall situation too frequently, ISU probably wouldn't surrender double-digit points in more than a couple of games all season.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
This thread is almost like listening to Soundoff after a Hok loss.o_O

What? I see people calmly discussing and asking questions about playcalling and closing people out. Why can’t we do that, even after a win?

Anyone that watched that game knows we should have won by 10+. Instead it took a come from behind last second FG. Mostly because of a lot of the sequences people are discussing here.

Most people on here (MOST) are smart enough to be able to enjoy the win AND talk about where we could and should improve.