It's Kansas Week...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Too high. I picture this as the Akron game from last year, nothing special. Probably be like 27-10 or so. Sleepwalk through the fist half, then pull away in the second half.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
As long as we are ahead and in the drivers seat the whole game, I'll be happy regardless of the final score.

Reactions: motorcy90

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Too high IMO. I think this game is going to be closer than I’d like, but I still think Iowa State wins by 14 or so
If we can stop their run and make them throw it, we'll win this game easily by double digits. Can't let their RB have a big day.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My feeling exactly, on both points.

Let's play "thought experiment": For Mitchell/Lang/Croney to occur for more than one possession, what would the score have to be, sometime near end of 3rd/early 4th? I'd guess 34-10.

A little higher. I think anything less than a thirty point lead with a quarter to play and the starters are staying for at least one more series.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
First of all, LOL at Kansas Week. This is definitely not a thing in football.

Having actually watched a few KU games, Kansas is not as horrible offensively as they used to be. Stanley is a capable passer, Williams is a fairly solid back and their O-line has shown improvement this year. That being said, we have faced much better competition all year and, provided we don't give away points with stupid turnovers, this should be an easy 20+ point win. Some garbage points at the end of the game would be the only thing threatening that spread IMO.

They have some talent, but similar to us during the Rhoads years, there is zero depth on either side of the ball. I can't think of one position where they have an advantage. They are also dead last in rush defense, time of possession and turnover margin. We average more than 100 yards/game more than them and allow 118 yards less per game.

A few weeks ago, they may have presented more of a challenge, but they will fold pretty quickly if we get up on them early. Anything can happen, but I foresee a comfortable win with a heavy dose of Hall and Lang, with some reps for Mitchell and JBrock for good measure.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
First of all, LOL at Kansas Week. This is definitely not a thing in football.

Having actually watched a few KU games, Kansas is not as horrible offensively as they used to be. Stanley is a capable passer, Williams is a fairly solid back and their O-line has shown improvement this year. That being said, we have faced much better competition all year and, provided we don't give away points with stupid turnovers, this should be an easy 20+ point win. Some garbage points at the end of the game would be the only thing threatening that spread IMO.

They have some talent, but similar to us during the Rhoads years, there is zero depth on either side of the ball. I can't think of one position where they have an advantage. They are also dead last in rush defense, time of possession and turnover margin. We average more than 100 yards/game more than them and allow 118 yards less per game.

A few weeks ago, they may have presented more of a challenge, but they will fold pretty quickly if we get up on them early. Anything can happen, but I foresee a comfortable win with a heavy dose of Hall and Lang, with some reps for Mitchell and JBrock for good measure.

I guess it depends on what KU team shows up. They have, at times been able to do a lot of offense. Stanley has looked like one of the best and worst QBs in the Big 12 this year. Definitely have some speed at the WR and RB position, so it will be important for everyone on defense to stay in their lanes, and tackle.

Defensively, they are just not good from what I see, and I would expect Hall to have a career day if ISU tries to run a lot, which they should. They managed to hold OSU to 31 points last week, so maybe their defense is getting better.

As far as the spread, I think it is a little high, as CMC likes to experiment in games he feels he has in hand, even if the team is only up 20 or so. Re-al will hopefully get some snaps, as this is the kind of team that he can make look silly with bad pursuit angles.

Take care of the ball and get a couple turnovers and this game could get very ugly.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I guess it depends on what KU team shows up. They have, at times been able to do a lot of offense. Stanley has looked like one of the best and worst QBs in the Big 12 this year. Definitely have some speed at the WR and RB position, so it will be important for everyone on defense to stay in their lanes, and tackle.

Defensively, they are just not good from what I see, and I would expect Hall to have a career day if ISU tries to run a lot, which they should. They managed to hold OSU to 31 points last week, so maybe their defense is getting better.

As far as the spread, I think it is a little high, as CMC likes to experiment in games he feels he has in hand, even if the team is only up 20 or so. Re-al will hopefully get some snaps, as this is the kind of team that he can make look silly with bad pursuit angles.

Take care of the ball and get a couple turnovers and this game could get very ugly.

I just think KU is pretty much defeated at this point in the season. Their slim chance of a bowl is gone and they looked bad the past two games. The only reason they held OSU to 31 was because they were up 31-0 going into the 4th and playing backups. I think they passed it once in the 4th quarter and Hubbard wasn't the one running the ball. That game was not near as close as the score made it look.

We aren't good enough to take the game off and expect a win, but CMC won't let that happen anyway. And I agree that Re-al could make KU look silly if we choose to let him loose in a blowout.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't think I'd touch this 23 point spread. I think we'll win, easily. But I wouldn't be surprised at a 35 - 14 or 35 - 17 type of game. Especially a late game TD against the 2's.