Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Right there with you. Walleye, please. Or, even better, halibut. The only way I can tolerate salmon is with lots of dill sauce.
It was FRYday at our tailgate Saturday. I'm confident that among our many offerings we were the only tailgate to have both homemade turnovers with homegrown cherries for filling and Minnesota lake caught walleye on the menu.

I was lucky I only derailed my weight watching by gaining a single pound.

Reactions: NWICY and SCyclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
It was FRYday at our tailgate Saturday. I'm confident that among our many offerings we were the only tailgate to have both homemade turnovers with homegrown cherries for filling and Minnesota lake caught walleye on the menu.

When I go home and have fish fry, I don't eat all day long......I want to save all the room I can for that yummo fish.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
tumblr_ppy64akBnd1tqk2tko8_r1_250.gifv

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My favorite cooking method is to cook the whole fish (head & tail can be removed). Place it on a large piece of foil that has been sprayed with Pam (or something similar). Baste inside with melted butter, then place a layer of thinly sliced onion inside followed by a layer of thinly sliced lemon, then sprinkle with brown sugar. Close the fish and wrap the sprayed foil loosely around it. You can bake the foil wrapped on a cookie sheet at 450 for a half hour or until flaky (time depends on size of fish), or you can place it on a closed grill & cook it that way (turn it every so often). We usually bake; it's easier.
Dang, it's nummy!!!
But it's better with FRESH PACIFIC salmon, which you can't get in the midwest.

Really fresh is hard to come by and previously frozen here, at least at groceries, is a better bet for wild. Fresh here is too often just a term for not previously frozen. The only easily obtainable "fresh" fresh is Canada walleye. Fish aren't supposed to smell fishy and lots of stuff in the sea food isle does. My local food stop has been offering, IMHO, a good farmed alternative, Sixty South from farms way down Patagonia way. Seems way better quality (and fresher) than other farmed stock like that from Norway or Canada and it's antibiotic free etc. And it comes in sizes big/thick enough to bake without risk of drying it out.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
As I apply for a full-time professor job for the first time in a year, I was noting that they've added one of those obstacles people don't want to bother with, in that they seemingly want stuff mailed to them.

Then I realized that the job is only open for a total of 2 weeks, and I think I realize that they already have their person. But, we'll take a shot and see if I can make this difficult, or something.

Of course, it's a school in Kansas.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As I apply for a full-time professor job for the first time in a year, I was noting that they've added one of those obstacles people don't want to bother with, in that they seemingly want stuff mailed to them.

Then I realized that the job is only open for a total of 2 weeks, and I think I realize that they already have their person. But, we'll take a shot and see if I can make this difficult, or something.

Of course, it's a school in Kansas.
Hutchinson?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Hutchinson?

Emporia State. They want someone with a 19th Century focus to teach a broad range of 19th Century history courses.

Typically, it looks like they've had one of their M.A. grads doing these classes, and this is subject to budgetary approval. I suspect they're rehiring their guy as a cheaper option, but I did the "e-mail a question to the chair" thing to get noticed a little, I hope.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Really fresh is hard to come by and previously frozen here, at least at groceries, is a better bet for wild. Fresh here is too often just a term for not previously frozen. The only easily obtainable "fresh" fresh is Canada walleye. Fish aren't supposed to smell fishy and lots of stuff in the sea food isle does. My local food stop has been offering, IMHO, a good farmed alternative, Sixty South from farms way down Patagonia way. Seems way better quality (and fresher) than other farmed stock like that from Norway or Canada and it's antibiotic free etc. And it comes in sizes big/thick enough to bake without risk of drying it out.
Seems like most of what the local store sells here (as whole salmon) is Atlantic. Maybe it's just from having access to the real stuff fresh from the docks in Seattle for so many years, but Atlantic salmon just doesn't taste the same. Add to that the jacked up price and we rarely buy it.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
My Iowa vanity plates read GBP4EVR. A lady at church came up to me some weeks ago and said, "I finally figured out what your license plate means!" I replied, "Oh really?" She says, "Yes - God be praised forever!" And I said, "We'll go with that!" :rolleyes:

Got in behind a car on my way to work this morning. It had an Iowa State Alumni bracket, but an EIU plate. Bunh?

The plate read LOSTBET.

And you'll be tailgating where this coming Saturday? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.