2019-20 FB Coaching Carousel & Rumors

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This is a strange take. I would think most coaches would want to be and assume they can be, at a level where they can win a national championship or get into the playoff. I’m sure Campbell absolutely thinks he can.

We only have to look to the school to our East, to see a coach that made that exact choice. He could have took the Michigan job, but chose to stay where he was. Do you really think Iowa can ever win a national championship in football? Because they cannot, maybe Campbell thinks he has a great deal at ISU, making 3.5 to 4.0 million a year, in a great community to raise your family.

Under the current set up there are not more than 10 schools that can win a national championship, the days of an outsider like BYU going undefeated, and winning the AP vote are over. Hell, Baylor and TCU were 11-1, 5 year ago, and neither made the playoff.
So unless you are at a blue blood program, you are not winning a title in football.
Maybe just maybe, Campbell also realizes that like other have before him. He is at a P5 school with all the perks that come with it, if Ohio St., Michigan or ND open up, then go for it, but MSU or Arkansas, better to stay where you are.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: State43

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Former Notre Dame now New Mexico coach Bob Davie let go but will coach final game.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The Arkansas coaching search is going to be a fun one to watch. Any time where the divide between fan expectations and reality is this massive you're bound for a ********.

How bad is that Arkansas job right now? Arguably the second worst roster in the Power 5 in a division with Alabama, Auburn and LSU. You've got aTm in there that's gobbling up all the talent in the region that you used to have a shot at and the Mississippi schools fluctuate skill wise based on their probation rotation.

They've lost I believe 14 straight conference games and they are still paying two former coaches (one of which they didn't even give two full years) - they are essentially Kansas at this point and that's not a hole they are getting out of any time soon.
How, if you are anyone at Arkansas or a fan there of, can you look at the entire big picture and not say "we are in the wrong conference"?
I mean it was bad before, but once Ta&m moved in they lost even more of any chance they had at recruits. In reality I really think they would be so much better a fit in the Big 12 and if the day ever comes we do expand I really hope they look hard at it.
I realize being in that oh so special SEC means you are something, but if you are falling farther and farther into the abyss is it really a benefit?

I do realize there is almost zero chance they would ever leave the SEC on their own, but looking at it from the outside I see it as a better option than what they have now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How, if you are anyone at Arkansas or a fan there of, can you look at the entire big picture and not say "we are in the wrong conference"?
I mean it was bad before, but once Ta&m moved in they lost even more of any chance they had at recruits. In reality I really think they would be so much better a fit in the Big 12 and if the day ever comes we do expand I really hope they look hard at it.
I realize being in that oh so special SEC means you are something, but if you are falling farther and farther into the abyss is it really a benefit?

I do realize there is almost zero chance they would ever leave the SEC on their own, but looking at it from the outside I see it as a better option than what they have now.
Not just for football but also basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So by that logic we can assume ISU was his dream job when he left Toledo?

We can assume he viewed going from Toledo to the Browns as not plausible. Given last year’s NFL interest, going from ISU to the Browns doesn’t need an extra step.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We can assume he viewed going from Toledo to the Browns as not plausible. Given last year’s NFL interest, going from ISU to the Browns doesn’t need an extra step.
I've mentioned this about 4 times to some of my friends/family. Coach Campbell does not need to go to FSU if he wants to some day be an NFL coach. My view is that going to FSU would actually be a step down from ISU in regards to the culture and overall program stability. Campbell would have to go Tallahassee and completely uproot the foundation there and that takes some time. Campbell is in a great spot at Iowa State and I honestly do not see him leaving here in the next 5 years.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
what in the world is wrong with people in arkansas..?

i should have thought before asking that question. nvm.

campbell isn't going there, you Deliverance lunatics! (i know before ppl say something, that movie took place in rural georgia)

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I take them as a replacement for Baylor.

Baylor can perhaps never be forgiven for the horrific things that happened there. But, Big 12 Sports looks at them and sees a top tier football team, one of the better basketball teams, and then there are the women's teams in basketball and volleyball. The conference is not going to send them elsewhere. It boggles the mind that they can be competitive in so many sports, but somehow, some way.....

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Baylor can perhaps never be forgiven for the horrific things that happened there. But, Big 12 Sports looks at them and sees a top tier football team, one of the better basketball teams, and then there are the women's teams in basketball and volleyball. The conference is not going to send them elsewhere. It boggles the mind that they can be competitive in so many sports, but somehow, some way.....

To pour salt on that wound, most of their alumni don't give a crap about their athletic teams.

• Friendly
Reactions: tolstoy

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
From the other link

It’s no secret that the Missouri athletic department has been operating in the red for the past two seasons and thus likely won’t have top dollar to pay their next head coach. Combine that with some likely recruiting challenges as part of the fallout from the NCAA sanctions, while the job will still be appealing to many, it will certainly come with some interesting challenges.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron