Rob Gray's Excellent Article

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I just saw the article Rob posted today. I didn't see any post on it yet, so I wanted to highlight to everyone the last two paragraphs of the article.

That’s the hope. The grindstone replaces shiny objects and an ability to remain still in the moment banishes painful losses to the recesses of memory. The future remains bright — and Campbell fully “gets” how being so close to being an results-validated elite team frustrates fans eager to celebrate a long-awaited, nationally-noticed breakthrough.

“I get it,” Campbell said. “I do. I completely understand it, but I also understand this: They’ve seen a a lot of bad football for a long time and I think they’re smart enough to know what good football looks like and what good culture looks like and what really good kids look like. And to me, that’s the thing that’s maybe a joy for me to walk into these walls is knowing what these kids put in to being the best they can be — and when you’re inches and fractions away, you can stomach it, because you know it’s our job to just keep pounding away to get it done.”

As we finish this year, posters should take the big picture view the just how better things are from just a few years ago, and how anyone paying attention has legitimate hope that the best is yet to come with the players and coaches we have in the program.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Most do get it. As my son and I discussed after the last game... who would have guessed four years ago that Iowa State football would be playing with Oklahoma year-in and year-out instead of being played with by Oklahoma annually?

Just reflect on that in moments of (minor) disappointment.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Most do get it. As my son and I discussed after the last game... who would have guessed four years ago that Iowa State football would be playing with Oklahoma year-in and year-out instead of being played with by Oklahoma annually?

Just reflect on that in moments of (minor) disappointment.

How many of us would have wanted 1 down in the waning seconds 2 yards away from another win at OU? We would have all taken it.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
The grindstone replaces shiny objects and an ability to remain still in the moment banishes painful losses to the recesses of memory. The future remains bright — and Campbell fully “gets” how being so close to being an results-validated elite team frustrates fans eager to celebrate a long-awaited, nationally-noticed breakthrough.​

Is that Robert Jordan?

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the third age by some, an Age yet to come, an age long pass, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist.​

Reactions: cyson and ccruzen

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I just saw the article Rob posted today. I didn't see any post on it yet, so I wanted to highlight to everyone the last two paragraphs of the article.

That’s the hope. The grindstone replaces shiny objects and an ability to remain still in the moment banishes painful losses to the recesses of memory. The future remains bright — and Campbell fully “gets” how being so close to being an results-validated elite team frustrates fans eager to celebrate a long-awaited, nationally-noticed breakthrough.

“I get it,” Campbell said. “I do. I completely understand it, but I also understand this: They’ve seen a a lot of bad football for a long time and I think they’re smart enough to know what good football looks like and what good culture looks like and what really good kids look like. And to me, that’s the thing that’s maybe a joy for me to walk into these walls is knowing what these kids put in to being the best they can be — and when you’re inches and fractions away, you can stomach it, because you know it’s our job to just keep pounding away to get it done.”

As we finish this year, posters should take the big picture view the just how better things are from just a few years ago, and how anyone paying attention has legitimate hope that the best is yet to come with the players and coaches we have in the program.

PaulRhoadsYearThree.gif.

Change my mind.

• Funny
Reactions: spitfyr36

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
The grindstone replaces shiny objects and an ability to remain still in the moment banishes painful losses to the recesses of memory. The future remains bright — and Campbell fully “gets” how being so close to being an results-validated elite team frustrates fans eager to celebrate a long-awaited, nationally-noticed breakthrough.​

Is that Robert Jordan?

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the third age by some, an Age yet to come, an age long pass, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist.​
Robert Jordan literally repeated pages of text, not only from his earlier Wheel of Time books, but, as the end of the interminable series gradually approached infinity, even from earlier sections of the same book. I finally decided that he had outlived his proofreaders and editors.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I LOVE reading articles by Rob, they are always well done!!!

Not that he would go over to the dark side, but would love to see Rob as the lead ISU writer for the DM Register.

Not only is Rob good at what he does, he is highly respected among his peers.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA

Walking into walls brings him joy? o_O

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Not that he would go over to the dark side, but would love to see Rob as the lead ISU writer for the DM Register.

Not only is Rob good at what he does, he is highly respected among his peers.
Next thing you know, The Athletic will be sniffing around.

Last edited:

MTCyclone43

Feb 22, 2016
Coach Matt Campbell needs another raise and an extension. This guy has the Clones so close to being an elite member of the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: cyson

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I (unknowingly at the time) stayed in the same hotel that the players stay in for the TCU weekend.

I remember seeing one of the lineman getting some ice and jumping to touch the ceiling in the hallway....just like a kid would do. That and the way the players interacted while walking out on Saturday morning was a good reminder that these are just college kids doing what they can.

The coaches are just people trying to do a job as well...although decisions imo are fair game for some criticism.

But if/when CMC goes elsewhere, you can't rightfully question whether or not he established some genuine time here.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I know at the end of the day it's all coachspeak, but it's words like what Campbell said here that makes me not worried about him leaving anytime soon - especially for an essentially lateral move to Michigan St or a downgrade to Arkansas, or even an upgrade to a place like Michigan or an NFL job. I'm just not worried about him leaving anytime soon.