Right down the ole Assalley

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
7316859_1.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: JSmoove

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
What, you wanted him to run the ball? That wasn’t going well for them.
When Texas had no timeouts. 3rd and 5. Likely going to be kicking a FG regardless, passing the ball was idiotic. Especially with only one option. That play should have been a sweep to the right to try and get the first or set up a FG with no time left.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
When Texas had no timeouts. 3rd and 5. Likely going to be kicking a FG regardless, passing the ball was idiotic. Especially with only one option. That play should have been a sweep to the right to try and get the first or set up a FG with no time left.

So you would rather have had Assalley kicking from a hash, which he's notoriously bad at, instead of doing what they did, using 3rd down to put the ball right in the middle of the field? I agree that there were a lot of questionable, if not dumb, coaching decisions in this game, but if the plan all along was to kick the FG using 3rd down to center the ball was one of the smartest things they did all game.

CheapClone1202

Has 3 legs
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2019
So you would rather have had Assalley kicking from a hash, which he's notoriously bad at, instead of doing what they did, using 3rd down to put the ball right in the middle of the field? I agree that there were a lot of questionable, if not dumb, coaching decisions in this game, but if the plan all along was to kick the FG using 3rd down to center the ball was one of the smartest things they did all game.

we are talking about different plays. I’m saying the previous 3rd down. Before Texas was called offsides on the kick. In that situation, they had 0 timeouts, and we chose to stop the clock with an incomplete pass instead of running, as we agree on, to set Assalley (or Narveson) up in a good spot with a running clock. Bailed out by the offside call. Even if that kick goes in, Texas has oceans of time to run their offense because Manning chose to throw the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
we are talking about different plays. I’m saying the previous 3rd down. Before Texas was called offsides on the kick. In that situation, they had 0 timeouts, and we chose to stop the clock with an incomplete pass instead of running, as we agree on, to set Assalley (or Narveson) up in a good spot with a running clock. Bailed out by the offside call. Even if that kick goes in, Texas has oceans of time to run their offense because Manning chose to throw the ball.

We had to go for the first there. Hell I wanted us to on the next series too, but it worked out great!

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I think the thought process there was we would be going for a very difficult kick, so we tried to get the first with a pass and a clock stoppage would give us a GLIMMER of a hope with two timeouts still to get the ball back if it came to it because we missed.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Judas Priest, bub...they WON! BE HAPPY!!!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Nah. Just not in the mood for nit-pickers. :D
Don't bring me down, no no no no no,
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down.
--ELO