Grill

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You are right, but Prohm has made exceptions.

Haliburton_Tyrese_KansasState_Big12_2018_19_7.jpg

He's started every game of his in the cardinal and gold save his first.
Is that the exception? Haliburton “functioned” on defense.

Wigginton is probably a better example, but there were no other options.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
So if Nixon isn't taking attempts, who would you like to see shoot the ball? Halliburton only takes really good looks (tends to turn down some good looks), Rasir is 0% from 3 right now (should drastically improve as many have had some really bad bounces), other than those 2 we are asking a whole hell of a lot out of Young and Jacobson if you don't want Nixon to shoot.
This is the 2nd time I've seen someone claim that Bolton is shooting 0% from 3. He made one in the first game, and made one in the Oregon State game. Where is the 0% coming from?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is that the exception? Haliburton “functioned” on defense.

Wigginton is probably a better example, but there were no other options.

Prohm has given playing time/"part of the rotation" to these guys all-time as freshmen, either over competition or simply (as you said) lack of alternatives...

Solomon Young
Lindell Wigginton
Talen Horton-Tucker
Tyrese Haliburton
Tre Jackson (or at least it looks like he will be in the rotation)

...kind of to George Conditt?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
This is the 2nd time I've seen someone claim that Bolton is shooting 0% from 3. He made one in the first game, and made one in the Oregon State game. Where is the 0% coming from?
Post game radio John Walters mentioned that the team jokes with him about maybe finally making his first 3 as a cyclone, as it hasn't happened yet. Maybe it was for the night instead?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Prohm has given playing time/"part of the rotation" to these guys all-time as freshmen, either over competition or simply (as you said) lack of alternatives...

Solomon Young
Lindell Wigginton
Talen Horton-Tucker
Tyrese Haliburton

Young went from essentially out of the rotation to getting 32 minutes overnight. Two games later, he’s starting.

Like many coaches, it’s tough for freshmen to earn his trust imo. If he has another option, he’ll nearly exhaust it. Like last year’s situation with Conditt. Haliburton was playing near flawlessly from the beginning.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Grill has flashed athleticism and was able to hit a couple of 3's and considering last night that is something. CG was swimming a bit on Defense, and getting over pursuing and getting out of position like most freshman would be 3 games in. I can see him gaining minutes later in the year once the game slows down some for him. Him getting playing time this NonCon is important to lower the learning curve.

Tre is comfortably in front of him in the guard rotation today. He's played good on ball and the staff has rewarded him playing over Grill to this point. I don't see that changing soon. Tre will hit 3's soon, he has his entire life. Much like Caleb on defense I think he's rushing a bit right now one he sees a few go in they'll come in bunches.

Both freshman look like Big 12 players and are worthy top 8 rotation which is pretty good to see this early.
When Tre airmailed two of his first three three point attempts against MVSU, I fell in love with the kid more. He's an excellent shooter, so I know that will come around. The fact that he was nervous for his first game (against possibly the worst team in DI) tells me how much he cares. Great things to come from him.

Last edited:
Reactions: bozclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
He would be if they had Bolton, Hali, Nixon, and Grill with just one big like Prohm talked about in the preseason.
That's not a small lineup, that's a tiny lineup. I don't know how much of that one we'll see, especially if Zion can continue to shoot a decent clip from three. I love Zion as an energy guy playing that Dustin Hogue role.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Young went from essentially out of the rotation to getting 32 minutes overnight. Two games later, he’s starting.

Like many coaches, it’s tough for freshmen to earn his trust imo. If he has another option, he’ll nearly exhaust it. Like last year’s situation with Conditt. Haliburton was playing near flawlessly from the beginning.

I think the case with Solomon Young is instructive, however.

I think we know that year was loaded 1-4 but struggled much of the season with the 5 spot. Once Solomon came on full-time, however, the team found another gear. His bulky presence in the middle unlocked the roster's potential.

Prohm held out on Bowie and Holden when I think we all knew they were not going to work as starters. You might as well try the 6'8" 240 freshman at that point. Once he finally did, we won ourselves another trophy for the collection.

Prohm tends to be a little conservative with such things, maybe too much so.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Oh I was definitely wrong on Griffin so far. I took Prohm's comments about how far he came way out of context. He is definitely not ready to start. Also if you think we continue to go 15% from downtown to heart just leave. Halli shot over 40% last year, and Rasir and Nixon both shot over 30% while being chuckers. They are going to get better looks as the season goes on.

Also 28% from the floor what kind of made up stats are you trying to put out there?
Pretty easy to punch up ESPN stats on each player and see Nixon is shooting 28% from the floor and 15.1 from 3. Bolton is shooting 42% from the floor and 13.3 from 3. Don't believe I'm making anything up

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006

I think we know that year was loaded 1-4 but struggled much of the season with the 5 spot. Once Solomon came on full-time, however, the team found another gear. His bulky presence in the middle unlocked the roster's potential.

Prohm held out on Bowie and Holden when I think we all knew they were not going to work as starters. You might as well try the 6'8" 240 freshman at that point. Once he finally did, we won ourselves another trophy for the collection.

Sometimes I think coaches are too stubborn.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

Solomon Young
Lindell Wigginton
Talen Horton-Tucker
Tyrese Haliburton

I haven’t seen it so much ‘reluctant to play freshmen’ as ‘reluctant to pull Seniors’. Young was playing behind Bowie and Holden (!!) long after it was painfully obvious he was better than both (tho Bowie turned it up a notch late in the year).

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Prohm has pretty much said that freshman bigs have more to learn on the defensive side of the ball but he’s not reluctant to play freshmen guards.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

SY also had a hurt hand that year that set him back.

But yeah sometimes, the best way to learn is through experience and time. Conditt may have been similar last year...let the dude go out and play some ball.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
I was lucky enough to get a second row seat behind the Southern Miss coaching staff last night. That gave me a slightly different perspective.

So, while I thought some were going a little overboard on Grill after just a game or two, I am starting to become a big fan and think he'll keep playing more and more as the season wears on.

His hustle and grit were super-impressive up that close. You could see the level of effort was the highest on the team. Yeah, he got lost a few times and over-defended a few times, but he sprinted after balls, dove down at dribblers near him to get steals and tips and exploded off of screens to get open. No one else on either team was even close to that level of effort.

If he keeps that up and continues to clean up the defensive positioning, switching and movement as well as continue to progressively learn the offensive schemes, it'll be hard for Prohm to keep him off of the floor. Also, I think he'll become even more of a fan favorite.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I was bummed last night, we ran a play with CG getting a pick/handoff at the FT line, he turned the corner like he planned to get right to the rim but got tripped up and fell. You could see him take that little bit extra long step guys take when they are marking off the steps for a dunk. He had bad intentions for the poor dude standing in front of the rim, that would've blown the roof of off Hilton. Can't wait to see him get another chance.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I was bummed last night, we ran a play with CG getting a pick/handoff at the FT line, he turned the corner like he planned to get right to the rim but got tripped up and fell. You could see him take that little bit extra long step guys take when they are marking off the steps for a dunk. He had bad intentions for the poor dude standing in front of the rim, that would've blown the roof of off Hilton. Can't wait to see him get another chance.

Beat me to it; I was just about to write something about that same play. You could tell from the look on his face and his teammates' when he picked himself up off the floor that if he hadn't been fouled he was going for the highlight dunk.

Similar moment early in the second when Halliburton drove and lobbed one up for Zion. I couldn't tell if the timing was a little off or what, but it ended up being all Zion could do just to corral the lob and make the layup. Too bad, because if either play gets finished with a dunk the crowd would have gone nuts.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Beat me to it; I was just about to write something about that same play. You could tell from the look on his face and his teammates' when he picked himself up off the floor that if he hadn't been fouled he was going for the highlight dunk.

Similar moment early in the second when Halliburton drove and lobbed one up for Zion. I couldn't tell if the timing was a little off or what, but it ended up being all Zion could do just to corral the lob and make the layup. Too bad, because if either play gets finished with a dunk the crowd would have gone nuts.

Yeah -- Grill was thinking two-handed hammer-time on that one.

I loved that play to set it up, as well.

I thought that foul was bordering on intentional. It was not like the USM guy was going for the ball -- he just tripped Grill when Grill was about to put someone on a poster.

He would be all the talk this week if he had landed that one.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Yeah -- Grill was thinking two-handed hammer-time on that one.

I loved that play to set it up, as well.

I thought that foul was bordering on intentional. It was not like the USM guy was going for the ball -- he just tripped Grill when Grill was about to put someone on a poster.

He would be all the talk this week if he had landed that one.

I just love that he was even thinking about it. Four games into his career and the kid is looking to put someone on a poster. I have no idea if he'll hang in the rotation once the competition picks up but he oozes potential.