Health insurance for contractors

BobTheHawkHater

Jan 21, 2008
Anybody have any advice on good health insurance options for contractors? Are there any group plans I can buy into for software developers, specifically living in Iowa?

Every time I go looking for options I get really depressed. This sucks.

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO
I hate insurance. I fall in the aca family glitch. I have to spend 20k between premium and deductible before insurance pays anything.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We do a one credit class at the UofI, they have great insurance for about $225 a month with low copays and deductibles. After a semester you can stay on insurance for a year.

they have one credit semester long classes. Must be semester long for insurance.

Reactions: DarkStar

BobTheHawkHater

Jan 21, 2008
We do a one credit class at the UofI, they have great insurance for about $225 a month with low copays and deductibles. After a semester you can stay on insurance for a year.

they have one credit semester long classes. Must be semester long for insurance.
I’m intrigued! How do I find more info?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Damn. Even teaching @ ISU part-time doesn't get that.

Time to go back to school
JIMLAD.png

Reactions: CycloneErik

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

So is this basically a student plan and you are able to qualify by taking a single credit class? Pretty damn clever.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

tleonwdm

Apr 13, 2006
WDM
If your healthy enough to pass underwriting, Farm Bureau has a plan with much lower rates than anything on exchange or ACA related. You need to be FB member but key is being able to pass underwriting.

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO

What class do you take?

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
If you don’t already have a company you’re working through, some of the more well known contracting companies provide insurance options for their contract workers.

I can sympathize because I thought I’d be stuck in contract hell for the rest of my career, but you’ve just got to persist and be your own advocate. There are full time jobs with benefits out there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron