Iowa High School Football Playoffs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I made the near 3 hour trek last Friday night to Ida Grove. The OABCIG QB, Cooper Dejean, is by far the best QB I've seen this season. He's 6'2 200 lbs and has passed for nearly 3000 yards, rushed for over 1000 and has accounted for 58 of his team's 63 TDs on the season. Also is the team's punter and starting free safety. To top it off, he's only a Junior. Do you know if it's true he was a 1000 yard receiver last year?
Yes- he was a receiver last year and set the school record for receiving yards (1,023yds- 12th in state all classes), ironically, only to have the record be broken this year by someone else he has been throwing to. Dejean was a reciever last year because OABCIG had a qb that was pretty good in his own rights- 3,000+ yd passer- 2nd in state behind Dekkers last year.
This year Dejean is 2nd in state passing yards (2,897), behind Dekkers. Also with having 1,044 rushing yards he is the state leader in pass/rush total offense.
He is super fast and elusive. As athletic and good he is at football he is just as or better playing basketball- was 1st team all state in 2A last year as a sophomore.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
IMO it is the small school 8 man teams that take it the hardest when schools drop classes. The idea that Audubon, a town that has close to 2,000 people, is a county seat and has as hospital is playing 8 man football is embarrassing when their competition is made up of teams of towns with a combined population of 600.

The 8 man league is being abused by schools looking for success due to their class size advantage / or private Catholic school recruiting.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Yes- he was a receiver last year and set the school record for receiving yards (1,023yds- 12th in state all classes), ironically, only to have the record be broken this year by someone else he has been throwing to. Dejean was a reciever last year because OABCIG had a qb that was pretty good in his own rights- 3,000+ yd passer- 2nd in state behind Dekkers last year.
This year Dejean is 2nd in state passing yards (2,897), behind Dekkers. Also with having 1,044 rushing yards he is the state leader in pass/rush total offense.
He is super fast and elusive. As athletic and good he is at football he is just as or better playing basketball- was 1st team all state in 2A last year as a sophomore.
He's definitely the most impressive athlete I've seen on a football field at the 2A level. We had a very positive experience with your game atmosphere and fans. I'll be cheering on OABCIG to take state this year.

• Winner
Reactions: cyinne

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I've seen Grundy 3 or 4 times this year. They're very good but I didn't think they were this good. Matchup really helped.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
IMO it is the small school 8 man teams that take it the hardest when schools drop classes. The idea that Audubon, a town that has close to 2,000 people, is a county seat and has as hospital is playing 8 man football is embarrassing when their competition is made up of teams of towns with a combined population of 600.

The 8 man league is being abused by schools looking for success due to their class size advantage / or private Catholic school recruiting.

I heard yesterday that this was Audobon's first playoff appearance since the late 80s...when they were in class 3A.

Grundy Center over St. Ansgar would have to be considered an upset. They're definitely peaking at the right time.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
42 - 7 West Hancock.

It would be fun to see each class winner play each other. I think West Hancock would do well in any class this year.

I would think they would do well against most teams through 2A. First team in state history to have three backs in the same year rush for over 1,000 yards. After today the full back is over 2,000 the wing back and half back are just over 1,000. Pretty impressive.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Dowling 28 CR Kennedy 0 at Halftime

No surprise Dowling vs. Valley for the title.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I heard yesterday that this was Audobon's first playoff appearance since the late 80s...when they were in class 3A.

Grundy Center over St. Ansgar would have to be considered an upset. They're definitely peaking at the right time.
False. I think that stat it was their first dome trip or semi final appearance since then. I think they’ve made playoffs most if not every year of the past 5 or so years.