OT - Cutting Cable

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Quick question, I think I'm finally at the point where I'm going to cut the cord, simply because of Disney +. However, I need to get either a Roku or an Apple TV (no support from Amazon Fire for Disney +) and two of them. What I'm having trouble figuring out is which one to buy because there are about 5 million options. Questions:

1. I've looked up like what the best streamers are:

https://www.cnet.com/topics/media-streamers/best-media-streamers/

I'm thinking Roku Streaming Stick Plus, because I'd like a small streamer stick. I like the interface of Roku. My question would be, I know it comes with a remote but has anybody used the Roku app on iOS or Android? I'm tired of remotes and want to power everything from there.

2. My wife likes Apple, and would be partial to an Apple TV, is there enough difference between the two to justify what would be a much greater expense? I can't imagine it is but I dunno.

3. Thinking of doing the YTTV/Disney +/ESPN +, I'm assuming all of these are easily loaded on Roku?
We've got YTTV, we'll have Disney/ESPN+, and Netflix. We stream it on Apple TV. I like the interface of the Apple TV. Sure, it's pricey, but it's super easy and intuitive to navigate. I'm not an Apple fanboy, and neither is my wife, but we have both enjoyed it the last few years we've had it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Hulu + livetv is going up $10 a month in december. Base packages starting at 54.99.

I'll be dropping down to the disney+ bundle with hulu and YTTV.
$55 is not too much for us but to increase by over 20% is a little crazy.
I'll be looking at alternatives.
We got in early on a great Disney+ membership already.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

Honestly, we'll probably just use philo most of the time and yttv during football season.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Plus they already increased from $40 to $45 in January of this year. I think we'll stick with it through the end of football for the local channels and then switch to Disney+ and Sling and hope there's nothing on local channels we want since we can't get them reliably with an antenna. Too many darn tall pine trees down south.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Plus they already increased from $40 to $45 in January of this year. I think we'll stick with it through the end of football for the local channels and then switch to Disney+ and Sling and hope there's nothing on local channels we want since we can't get them reliably with an antenna. Too many darn tall pine trees down south.
We decided we're going to wait until March Madness then shut that down until football starts back up in Sept.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Cancelled my Netflix subscription this morning. Realized that nobody was watching it since Disney+ launched. Might get it back for Ozark but other than that, nobody has missed it.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Stopped AT&T TV and Netflix
Started YouTube TV and Disney+

I just started the YTTV 3-week free trial earlier this week. So far it seems identical to AT&TLive except no HBO option. But for $25 less per month it'll be worth the switch I think. Depends if my daughter can access it while at school.

• Winner
Reactions: Dandy

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This morning I got an alert that my Mediacom bill went to $215, which was $30 more than the previous year.

$100 Internet
$115 Cable with 3 Tivos

I was all set to cut the cord. Called Mediacom and asked where I should return my Tivo receivers and they magically cut my bill by $55. For the additional $10, it makes no sense for me to switch to YTTV. In addition, they would charge me $10 more for my internet if I didn't have their cable.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
This morning I got an alert that my Mediacom bill went to $215, which was $30 more than the previous year.

$100 Internet
$115 Cable with 3 Tivos

I was all set to cut the cord. Called Mediacom and asked where I should return my Tivo receivers and they magically cut my bill by $55. For the additional $10, it makes no sense for me to switch to YTTV. In addition, they would charge me $10 more for my internet if I didn't have their cable.

what speed is your internet? Hoping it’s a gig if you’re paying $100.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I just started the YTTV 3-week free trial earlier this week. So far it seems identical to AT&TLive except no HBO option. But for $25 less per month it'll be worth the switch I think. Depends if my daughter can access it while at school.
I compared channel line-ups and like you said it looked pretty much identical with no HBO. We'll probably start an independent HBO Now subscription if something really good ever pops up on there.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

$100 Internet
$115 Cable with 3 Tivos

Is it possible you were still on a promotional price and now you're just off of it? That's what happened to me recently. My bill went up $10 for no apparent reason and they told me I had just finished my promotional period, which gradually stepped up in price over four years. I would have assumed I was paying full price after two years but I guess not.

I called them the other night myself as I prepare to move to YTTV. My bill is $199 before taxes. The bill is pretty convoluted thanks to bundling so I can't tell how much we pay for internet vs. TV, but we have 60Mbps and family cable with 2 TiVos (one is the main box, the other is just a receiver for a 2nd TV). Included in the bill is an $8 sports/info pack for more sports channels. My bill would be about $12 more except I use my own cable modem.

When I called they offered me a weak deal to get me to $180 for my current package including Starz and Showtime, which I do not care about. When I asked about internet they didn't offer me anything lower than their regular price. However, I asked and they specifically said there is no surcharge for going internet-only, even though this is listed as $15/month in their rate card. (I have a relative who already does this and does not pay the surcharge either.)

I'm not sure if I'll call in and try again or just accept it.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
One thing to keep in mind with a stand-alone Roku device if you have a data cap- don't just turn your TV off while watching a channel through an app. The Roku will continue to use data. Always return to the home screen to stop streaming.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
One thing to keep in mind with a stand-alone Roku device if you have a data cap- don't just turn your TV off while watching a channel through an app. The Roku will continue to use data. Always return to the home screen to stop streaming.
As a comparison, I am fairly certain the Amazon Fire stick does not do this.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum